Sunday night smokesations

Darryl - swazies

TVWBB Diamond Member
Felt ambitious on Sunday, made a few things.
Put together a very spicy verde salsa….not rip your face off….we left the habanero’s out. Big batch it is pretty darn good….I let the boys n girls at work let me know how it is, it went over pretty well…..spicy when you eat one chip, face sweats when you eat many chips with salsa.
Then I whipped up some ribs and chicken.
These baby’s were very small, measured across the rib….almost like baby pig ribs……..Done on the E6 with cherry wood and JD briquettes.
Trying to master both baby’s and St.Louis….every time is either too long or too short of a cook….. my last spare cook I didn’t render enough of the fat out. I didn’t mind them but pretty fatty……this cook was a bit over done. I took them to 190 on the smoker then foiled with brown sugar, butter, homey and apple juice….which would prove to be too long. Now they were very tasty but you could pull the bone right out if you wanted to and the bone was clean. Oakridge secret weapon……this stuff is great if you haven’t yet. Sauced with Lane’s vinegar, I am also a fan.
The 2 birds were trussed the way I like them and spun on the performer at about 370…..took those to 160….these were very juicy and delicious. 2 pieces of peach put a nice flavour on the birds.
Killer hogs hot bbq one one and Lane’s rub…Hawaiian something or other on the second bird. Lots of left over lunches……ribs, chicken quarters and salad all week.
The final plate was protein and a sorta faux ceaser as we didn’t have everything for the ceaser salad.
Thanks for looking!

Attachments

• IMG_0507.jpeg
    IMG_0507.jpeg
    154.4 KB · Views: 35
  • IMG_0508.jpeg
    IMG_0508.jpeg
    237.9 KB · Views: 32
  • IMG_0509.jpeg
    IMG_0509.jpeg
    260.4 KB · Views: 33
  • IMG_0510.jpeg
    IMG_0510.jpeg
    160.3 KB · Views: 36
  • IMG_0511.jpeg
    IMG_0511.jpeg
    205.2 KB · Views: 36
  • IMG_0513.jpeg
    IMG_0513.jpeg
    206.1 KB · Views: 37
  • IMG_0514.jpeg
    IMG_0514.jpeg
    236.8 KB · Views: 38
  • IMG_0515.jpeg
    IMG_0515.jpeg
    240.4 KB · Views: 36
  • IMG_0516.jpeg
    IMG_0516.jpeg
    194.2 KB · Views: 35
  • IMG_0517.jpeg
    IMG_0517.jpeg
    161.6 KB · Views: 35
Felt ambitious on Sunday, made a few things.
Put together a very spicy verde salsa….not rip your face off….we left the habanero’s out. Big batch it is pretty darn good….I let the boys n girls at work let me know how it is, it went over pretty well…..spicy when you eat one chip, face sweats when you eat many chips with salsa.
Then I whipped up some ribs and chicken.
These baby’s were very small, measured across the rib….almost like baby pig ribs……..Done on the E6 with cherry wood and JD briquettes.
Trying to master both baby’s and St.Louis….every time is either too long or too short of a cook….. my last spare cook I didn’t render enough of the fat out. I didn’t mind them but pretty fatty……this cook was a bit over done. I took them to 190 on the smoker then foiled with brown sugar, butter, homey and apple juice….which would prove to be too long. Now they were very tasty but you could pull the bone right out if you wanted to and the bone was clean. Oakridge secret weapon……this stuff is great if you haven’t yet. Sauced with Lane’s vinegar, I am also a fan.
The 2 birds were trussed the way I like them and spun on the performer at about 370…..took those to 160….these were very juicy and delicious. 2 pieces of peach put a nice flavour on the birds.
Killer hogs hot bbq one one and Lane’s rub…Hawaiian something or other on the second bird. Lots of left over lunches……ribs, chicken quarters and salad all week.
The final plate was protein and a sorta faux ceaser as we didn’t have everything for the ceaser salad.
Thanks for looking!
Dang, Darryl. Over the top. Great post.

Thanks Chuck, I truss them with the legs out from the breasts so the breast gets a nice even cook and you can count on them being the same temps all the way through. Then the thighs cook nicely too and can take more heat if needed.....Breasts were about 160 and I think the thighs came in at 182 ish........
The legs however are a bit floppy, its funny to watch as they kick each other all the way through the cook until close to the end.
Also leg to leg on the spit gives me ample room for 2....the other way is a lot harder to accomplish.

Hold up. You cooked all this in one day? You loco? And those Serrano peppers. You on a quest for the ring of fire? There are seven days in a week. Maybe spread out the cooks?

Looks great. And tiring at the same time.

I suppose it was more on how the day went vs. being a ton of work.
I guess maybe I made it sound overwhelming.....I apologize....you a funny guy Brett.
Everything that could have went wrong did basically.........
I started the whole cook off about an hour late and then many things really slowed me down after that.
Things like using a regular basket for charring the veggies.....not hot enough and waaaaay to small to get things done. Trying to use the same setup for the rotisserie.....
Later on I spilled that basket while moving things around....that was a fun clean up.
I couldn't keep a clean fire going in the E6 for the life of me once the ribs were on ( this was something new )........make 1 move and then white and crappy smoke coming out........then mid cook ( I was trying to hold a nice low 230 ) the fire thought it was going to go out.....no grate thermometer this time.......caught the lid thermo at 205. Started back up really easy and the the white smoke again...
These are just a few, thanks for letting me event..........basically I got used to relaxing I guess while the cook is going on, didn't get much of that in until close to the end.

Lunches are great however......ribs n chicken for 3 days.

Lots of serranos.....1 jalapeno, its hot but its the kind you can keep eating.
I have to travel 25 minutes one way just for any sort of ethnical foods.....those tomatillo and serannos are what I drive for or its canned tomatillo and nothing fancier than a jalapeno.
Saved 3 jalapeno and 3 serrano for a mid week asada cook.....I hope anyways.

Back