Summit Kamado - Talk me into/out of it

That right there is a very good point. Charcoal (and smoke) can be an acquired taste that not everyone appreciates.
And there’s different kinds of coal. I only use JD for direct cooks and briqs for LAS (not the airport). The flavor differences in todays coal is much better than years past.

And a note, you can cook with live fire on the WSK which is another whole level different than any charcoal. I recommend you try live fire if you can. It’s a game changer.

And there’s different kinds of coal. I only use JD for direct cooks and briqs for LAS (not the airport). The flavor differences in todays coal is much better than years past.

And a note, you can cook with live fire on the WSK which is another whole level different than any charcoal. I recommend you try live fire if you can. It’s a game changer.
And pizza with live fire too.

20220924_181643.jpg

So what you're saying is that, if the WSK would have been your first grill, it would have been your last?

I tell my youngest daughter that all the time.

Probably not. I'd probably try several others along the way. But I've said before if I could only have one charcoal grill, I'd take WSK.

But, if someone wanted to drop off a kbq C 60, I'd give it a go.

I decided to buy my last charcoal (WSC) grill first.

I bought my last (Genesis 1000) gas grill first back in 1993, and it’s still going strong.

In that time span, an acquaintance of mine who likes to grill, has gone through at least five grills- not Weber. Every time his grill goes south, he isn’t in a position to lay out the money for a quality replacement.

In 30 years, he has spent way more money than my $400 in 1993 dollars.

I think the WSC will last long enough that I can get my money’s worth.

My perspective.

If it’s not going to put a crimp in everyday life, spend the $800-1,000 and just get it, no reason to sit on the fence. It’s a well designed unit, it will give you years of enjoyment, just go get it!

I see a lot of enablers here. Of course many gave me the same advice when I was trying to decide about getting that pellet popper at Sam's Club. Now? So glad I did, and only wish I could have been able to buy 2 :D

I see a lot of enablers here. Of course many gave me the same advice when I was trying to decide about getting that pellet popper at Sam's Club. Now? So glad I did, and only wish I could have been able to buy 2 :D
Aw, C’mon Larry, you’ve enabled folks plenty of times! I’m waiting for my Bosch dishwasher to get off the boat and into my kitchen! Softener is waiting in the basement, when everything gets here I’ll have a plumber for half a day to end the whole blasted kitchen project. I’m going to be glad to get this finished!

If you can spare the cash, I think I would go for it (if you can get it for $800) and give it an honest try.

If you find it not worth it, I agree with the assessment that you could clean it up and sell it for at least what you have in it.

But, if $800 is going to get you in trouble at the home front (like it would me!), then start out with a used 22" Weber kettle or maybe Performer. There are often some great deals out there, and you could try out very decent charcoal cooking without diving way in. I recently picked up an extremely nice, new version Performer for only $100. Some cleaning and repainting the top, and it will look like the $469 ones at the store.

Once again, Jon speaks the truth. Stay out of the doghouse, I’ve always had a kettle in one form or another and they have served me admirably! I just swapped out my “Nice“ handles for winter and put another couple of coats of tung oil on the table on the “Overperformer“. I’m almost ready for the coming lousy grilling weather. Today, it is gloriots so, the flank steak teriyaki will happen tonight! Whatever you do, when questions arise, ask away.

There’s a 9 month old, rarely used 24” Summit Kamado Grilling Center available.

It was listed at $1500 and already dropped down to $1000 in 2 days; I get the impression they’re trying to offload it asap.

I’d think about offering $800.

My dilemma is…I’ve never used a charcoal grill before. I’ve read so much here about the joys of charcoal, but also recently how die hard charcoal users can’t deny the performance and convenience of gas.
What makes the Kamado command such a high price?

Is there any reason I should part with $800 just to have the “best” of something I don’t really know anything about?
Or should I keep cooking on my gasser, blissfully ignorant of the world of charcoal?

IMO, if you have some design on putting some serious time smoking ribs, smoking briskets, smoking pulled pork etc. etc....it will become the love of your life.

If smoking is not something you will get into, or if all you want to do is "fast" grilling - steaks, burgers etc, and might only occasionally want to do a longer cook, I think you could spend a lot less money and be happy with a much less expensive grill.

Don't get me wrong - I'm not trying to talk you out of it....I LOVE my Summit Kamado and would not part with it - when I die, I want to be cremated in my S6!!

Probably not. I'd probably try several others along the way. But I've said before if I could only have one charcoal grill, I'd take WSK.

But, if someone wanted to drop off a kbq C 60, I'd give it a go.

I had never heard of the kbq C 60, - I just watched a few vids and that is one funky BBQ. It reminds me of trying to wrap my head around the gravity feed.

John -- the SKGC is Weber's answer to a BGE. Folks argue about whether the Weber stainless steel kamado is better than a ceramic kamado like BGE.

$800 is a great deal if you really want to play around with charcoal grilling kamado/BGE style.

If you don't know what I mean by BGE style and aren't interested in learning, then save your money.

Get a kettle/performer off FBM or CL. Will cost you less than $100 and will grill your chicken, steaks, burgers, etc. excellently.

John -- the SKGC is Weber's answer to a BGE. Folks argue about whether the Weber stainless steel kamado is better than a ceramic kamado like BGE.

$800 is a great deal if you really want to play around with charcoal grilling kamado/BGE style.

If you don't know what I mean by BGE style and aren't interested in learning, then save your money.

Get a kettle/performer off FBM or CL. Will cost you less than $100 and will grill your chicken, steaks, burgers, etc. excellently.

Well, I did just watch this, and now feel like a pro:

Back