Summit Kamado - Talk me into/out of it

800.00 seems like alot of money a year ago,but in todays economy not so bad. I made the switch back in 2010 with a performer, and never looked back I still have a gas for quick cooks veggies etc. But after I had charcoal cooked food at a freinds house I was hooked.
From what I read on here about this grill it saves you money buy being efficient with your coal, it is bigger than my 22 which means more ribs,bigger brisket. It holds heat better,it is not affected by cold as much. And best of all it will be the last grill you will buy. As it does it all. At that price I would all over it.
These deals never show up around me...

You know - I watched a few lump charcoal comparisons on YouTube, and now just seeing Fogo sends up a huge red flag for me.
JD for the win. i absolutely love using it and its flavor profile. then natural CA white oak. in that order for fave fuels.

BUT WAIT -- there's more! Don't overlook pellet grills. There's that new Camp Chef Woodwind Pro that offers the comfort and convenience of a gas grill with the flavor of charcoal and smoke!

And...and...and...

All the more reason to hang on to your wallet and not spring for anything that is arguably the best in its (very narrow) field just yet.

BUT WAIT -- there's more! Don't overlook pellet grills. There's that new Camp Chef Woodwind Pro that offers the comfort and convenience of a gas grill with the flavor of charcoal and smoke!

And...and...and...

All the more reason to hang on to your wallet and not spring for anything that is arguably the best in its (very narrow) field just yet.
Minus 10 points for linking to Yoder.

All I'm trying to say is that it's a big ol' world out there and you don't have to hitch yer wagon to what someone else says is the best. Only you can decide what is best for you, and you don't have enough experience yet to make that choice.

There's really two options here. Make like a Texan and GO BIG, or just don't do anything. I don't really see any middle ground. You can always get a less expensive charcoal grill, but you can't always get a Kamado like that for 800 bucks. So, and I'm not saying this in a mean spirited way at all, GO BIG or GO HOME!

I'm still waiting to hear an "aye" from anyone that bought a WSK having had no prior experience with cooking over charcoal...I'm sure it must happen, just not very often.

Last edited:
Minus 10 points for linking to Yoder.
I guess we all see things our own way. I have enjoyed Mad Scientist BBQ. I think he knows his stuff and tries to do real world comparisons.

For this new Camp Chef, his complaints were all things I could easily live with for a pellet grill in this price range - similar to the SmokeFire. It does seem to me that this new Woodwind Pro just raised the bar for cooking results. I would like to get one!

I guess we all see things our own way. I have enjoyed Mad Scientist BBQ. I think he knows his stuff and tries to do real world comparisons.

For this new Camp Chef, his complaints were all things I could easily live with for a pellet grill in this price range - similar to the SmokeFire. It does seem to me that this new Woodwind Pro just raised the bar for cooking results. I would like to get one!
Indeed. He just shills whatever he’s being paid for. I prefer to not watch him anymore. My choice. Yours is yours. Respected either way.

JD for the win. i absolutely love using it and its flavor profile. then natural CA white oak. in that order for fave fuels.
Eh… I’m not bowled over by JD, either. I’ve done exactly the same setup at the same ambient temperature running JD lump and Kingsford Pro. The K-Pro ran about 50° hotter. The JD also gives an acrid flavor before it’s fully lit.

Eh… I’m not bowled over by JD, either. I’ve done exactly the same setup at the same ambient temperature running JD lump and Kingsford Pro. The K-Pro ran about 50° hotter. The JD also gives an acrid flavor before it’s fully lit.
To each their own. The two fuels aren’t event comparable for flavor, heat and nose. I prefer the smell and flavor of wood on hot and direct cooks. JD is the cleanest burning true charcoal I’ve found to date, in a consistent package. KPro, while great for low and slow, doesn’t get nearly as hot. And when I relight KPro used briqs, they smell like pee.

And the ash byproduct KPro produces is ridiculous. JD is extremely low residue on every cook.

YMMV. I won’t use KPro for direct searing or hot and fast cooks. And on light up, KPro rolls smoke like a diesel F350.

To each their own. The two fuels aren’t event comparable for flavor, heat and nose. I prefer the smell and flavor of wood on hot and direct cooks. JD is the cleanest burning true charcoal I’ve found to date, in a consistent package. KPro, while great for low and slow, doesn’t get nearly as hot. And when I relight KPro used briqs, they smell like pee.

And the ash byproduct KPro produces is ridiculous. JD is extremely low residue on every cook.

YMMV. I won’t use KPro for direct searing or hot and fast cooks. And on light up, KPro rolls smoke like a diesel F350.
Hahaha It does roll smoke, I’ve been pretty happy with it though.

Hahaha It does roll smoke, I’ve been pretty happy with it though.
It's a good, actually excellent product, for what its designed to do. It's super consistent, affordable and widely available and it does a good job. I've just come to prefer the flavor of true charcoal and the JD product, to me, is very neutral in flavor profile, burns VERY hot (i've IR gunned it at 1100F) and comliments a steak like no other fuel source.

my second go to for HAF/direct sear would be live fire CA white oak. it takes a little longer to get the fire going but the results are really nice smoke and high heat.

but if you need to cook dinner real fast, and want a super consistent, predictable results, KPro is just fine. i'm just willing to put in the extra time to play with fire to get what i want in my cook. grilling, bbq'ing or smoking is relaxing and rewarding to me. it's all about the experience.

Well, I waited too long yesterday and when I got home from Happy Hour ready to bid, it was already sold.

Oh well. What a prudent miser would do now is go put $800 into my savings account and not touch it.

If you want to try cooking with charcoal, keep an eye out for a used 22 inch kettle. they are great way to get started.

If you were closer I'd give you one of mine. You'd have to invest in a new grate, maybe new sweeps and it would be good to go.

Well, I waited too long yesterday and when I got home from Happy Hour ready to bid, it was already sold.

Oh well. What a prudent miser would do now is go put $800 into my savings account and not touch it.
Were you really seriously considering dropping eight bills on that thing?

Back