Summit 450 - Rehab

POR 15 has a high heat paint. Its called "Factory Manifold Gray" I believe. It's used to paint cast iron engine exhaust manifolds. It works great and should handle the heat of a grill.

Edit:. Its called "High Temp" now. Comes in black too.

Gerry

Yes I have tried. Does no good. Two things. Paint will not adhere to porcelain, and once the porcelain gives way and rust starts there is nothing you can do to slow or prevent it due to how adverse the conditions are in there. You have food drippings and vapors, very high heat and then condensation plus the normal expansion/contraction of the metal from the heat/cool cycles.

Of course paint won't adhere to porcelain. Porcelain also doesn't rust. If there's rust, the porcelain has failed. I believe I said to remove the rust and paint where there is no porcelain. Given that there are no spare parts, that KC has spent considerable time and money on the rehab, and that he wants a family member to use and enjoy the grill, what do you suggest? Tossing the project out is not an option. Putting a band-aid on it like I suggested is an option. And since it is going to a family member KC would have access to the grill to clean and renew that front panel once a year. That seems like a better option than letting it sit like an overgrown paperweight on the front porch.
Geez what got under your skin!? I never suggested either. Many here (including me) suggested trying to have someone make a new panel of aluminum or stainless (though I don't think sheet aluminum will stand the temps). I was simply relating my own experience with the futility of trying to slow/stop the rust. Take a breath!

Everybody needs to just chill out. We are all here to give our best advice from our own experiences. Certainly, we all want to see that project work out for the best. A lot of nice work being done there.

My game plan is to let the original panel last as long as it can. Treat now with Ospho and extreme heat JB Weld.

While it’s out I’m going to make a cardboard pattern/tracing and source a SS fab for the future that I’ll have for when it finally gives out.

I throughly believe it’s got years left in it as is. That may will be wishful thinking but I’ve got $500 into this grill all said and done and there’s a crap ton of sentimental value in this already.

I appreciate the feedback and advise.

All now painted. Waiting on my Ospho to arrive from Amazon in order to treat the burner cook box panel prior to reassembling the cook box.

Very pleased with how this has turned out. A768023C-86F8-4FE5-AB5B-DEA921AA435D.jpeg9063090B-6D99-4B97-982D-7A92DF33493E.jpegA8A0524C-74D0-4D60-9B2E-FFA041D4550F.jpeg

My game plan is to let the original panel last as long as it can. Treat now with Ospho and extreme heat JB Weld.

While it’s out I’m going to make a cardboard pattern/tracing and source a SS fab for the future that I’ll have for when it finally gives out.

I throughly believe it’s got years left in it as is. That may will be wishful thinking but I’ve got $500 into this grill all said and done and there’s a crap ton of sentimental value in this already.

I appreciate the feedback and advise.
I used the Extreme Heat JB Weld, the 3oz. single part version, and I think it's mostly intended as a filler. I used it on a 1000 drip pan and it sets up pretty quickly. I should have used a moistened fingertip (it is water-based) to smooth it out but it came out rougher than I would have liked. The original JB Weld is good for 550* so I top coated the extreme heat with it and smoothed it out. Also, you can't just mix a small amount, you have to mix the whole container...I'm going to go see if the rest of it hardened.

EDIT: Nope, still putty-like. Also, Ospho is 45% phosphoric acid and miracle stuff, IMO, but the debate is whether to rinse it off or not after it's done its job. I'm kind of toying with the idea of taping up all the holes, capping the ends and then swishing it around inside the frame...

Last edited:
Everybody needs to just chill out. We are all here to give our best advice from our own experiences. Certainly, we all want to see that project work out for the best. A lot of nice work being done there.
I agree not sure what triggered the angry response. Never meant to. Just that I walked down that road as you know. Also as you know Jon it frustrated the daylights outta me that Weber would not even support their top line product under warranty.

What angry response? I just went back and re-read everything. No anger in any of my responses. Gave some polite opinions and asked some questions. I think you are just overly sensitive on the subject of Summits because of the horrible experience you had with Weber. Only anger I see in the thread is your use of geez and exclamation points. I'll try to avoid triggering you on the subject in the future.
Just the response you gave came across quite aggressively. And the the closing of this "That seems like a better option than letting it sit like an overgrown paperweight on the front porch."
I never suggested that. But everything else you suggested I tried and did religiously and it didn't work and my front panel turned to Swiss cheese in less than 2 years. All starting from a few tiny little rust bubbles hardly visible while cleaning to Swiss cheese. And I tried high temp paints and primers and cleaning the rust away and even Eastwood high temp. Nothing stopped it. I wish it would have but it didn't. And I gave it weekly care. Trying to hold it off.
So as far as I am concerned no harm no foul sorry I took it a little wrong.

It's easy to misinterpret what someone has posted, and it's easy to post something that is subject to being misinterpreted. All you can do is choose your words carefully when posting, and be charitable toward others, giving them the benefit of the doubt when reading their posts.

Update. Been off today so made some decent progress. Used the Ospho yesterday let dry and put on the extreme heat JB Weld. Then reassembled the cook box. Stopped for the day to throw stakes my Genesis E330 for dinner.
C579E5E0-C02A-469C-B650-9C527C0AEF67.jpeg440E4B24-EABD-482B-84E7-2098A470E695.jpegE1A10DAF-E55B-444E-B270-FB5C96C54C6B.jpegC1361F31-EF1B-4B51-87B3-AB7C25F7DFD0.jpeg7071C2BF-38DE-4AB5-AEB7-562103B5EB17.jpeg61A48A68-C070-4312-A8B6-67E2DDB97692.jpeg60D6B77F-0791-4D2B-92C8-8EE0D3FFA13A.jpeg99C41815-473D-4BF6-886C-C4AE7366073F.jpeg2329C62C-B743-43FE-A880-78BEABEF8491.jpeg

Looks good. They are wonderful looking and performing grills. Sad how Weber dropped the ball with the fire box

Good luck with the JB Weld but honestly you'll be wanting to get those stainless panels from Jon. It won't hold. At least it did not for me.

Back