Summit 450 - Rehab

KCrews

Help!!!

I just purchased a Summit 450 for $200. I thought I got a darn good deal! Until I took the cook box off the frame and I uncovered the back support almost completely rusted through. And the dang thing about it, is this is the only rust on the whole dang grill (minus the speed nuts on the lid and cook box). I've restored many Weber's in the past 10-15 years and this one I purchased to give my brother-in-law and his soon to be wife as a wedding present. I hate to be out $150 i've already got in to this an not to mention let an amazing grill like this go to a scrap heap... Rust.jpg

Anyone happen to have a parts grill laying around that I could get my hands on? Cannot seem to get Weber to answer my phone call or emails... Very unlike them... And I am sure it is a LONG shot that they would have this part in stock anyway...

Attachments

• Front of box.jpg
    Front of box.jpg
    102.6 KB · Views: 90
  • Open grill.jpg
    Open grill.jpg
    83.4 KB · Views: 90
  • Side of grill.jpg
    Side of grill.jpg
    65.5 KB · Views: 88
Last edited:
That is right where the firebox sits on the frame and has a piece of rubber there that catches and holds moisture. I am surprised it's there and not the whole fire box rusted out. You would cut out the bad section, and slip another piece of mild steel tubing over it or perhaps someone could weld a piece in for you. Too bad you're not closer. I have a mint 450 except the fire box is rusted away

If that is the only bad part, I would assume you can find a replacement easily enough. I have scrapped three summits. But I never looked deep enough to how that part looked. I certainly haven't seen it mentioned before as a problem spot. If it is a part that easily removed and replaced, I am sure you can find a suitable replacement either through this site or off of a donor grill.

I’ve sourced a metal fabrication shop local that can make the part for me for $65. So I’m going to do that if I can’t fine an OE part.

Minus a few nuts and bolts it’s the only on the entire grill.

Any idea what fastener is used here to attach the square frame (vertical) to the round tube (horizontal)? All of them are rusted and this is the best of the bunch. C28321F3-D036-459E-93F2-E503ED31432C.jpeg

Kcrews.
I use the square tubing nuts to do my Weber restores. As long as it's 1" square tubing like the older Genesis' grills
See here:

If it's round tubing they are also available:

Jeff

Update.
Frame has been. Sanded. Painted. Tube supports manufactured/replaced and now reassembled.

Just waiting on the cook box and end caps to come back from the sand blaster.

2nd pick is the cook box portion where the burner tubes go. No nightmare scenario from a rust standpoint but there is a bit of rust starting. In your opinion, what if anything would you do to stop/treat this?

7032624B-5E58-4032-AA7E-1E375BE50764.jpeg6E783AC8-DF51-401B-B3F9-2BF150B910FF.jpeg

Last edited:
Not to rain on your parade but from personal experience it will go from that to totally eaten through in very short order. Mine went from that to huge holes in less than a year. Sorry. And yes I tried different things to help stop it. No help

I appreciate the honesty but I hate that...

There is little to no surface rust so I really hope it’s WAAAAY longer.

Not to rain on your parade but from personal experience it will go from that to totally eaten through in very short order. Mine went from that to huge holes in less than a year. Sorry. And yes I tried different things to help stop it. No help

I've got the same grill, but here in dry California. 18 years, no rust.

If I were you, while I had that sucker pulled from the grill, I would create a template/stencil of that portion with the holes. If you ever need to have a sheet metal shop fabricate a s/s sheet that fits inside the cookbox, you'll be ready.

If I had access to a fabricator it's what I would do. Those grills would be bulletproof then. I would gladly put mine back in service. Unless Jon grabs it first LOL :D

If I had access to a fabricator it's what I would do. Those grills would be bulletproof then. I would gladly put mine back in service. Unless Jon grabs it first LOL :D

Just waiting on the sidelines, Larry. Whenever you are ready to sell:cool:!

Jon
Anytime you can get large enough transportation for it I am game. As much as I love it (especially for that large side burner) I am afraid it's a project I will never get to. Especially now with daughter buying a house (and I am sure all the calls for "dad how do you do this?") I am sure to get. I just got done knitting together a nice Honda Quadra Cut mower for her yesterday (the old back is feeling it this AM), I still have a nice Honda (real Honda made in Japan) snow blower that I rebuilt a carb for I have to put together, the Q300 sitting on my deck that needs finishing and so much more. So I think it's time to reclaim my front patio LOL. Bring whatever you think is "fair" and it plus all the spare parts (including a blue lid) are there for you

t0sG1c6.jpg

Jon
Anytime you can get large enough transportation for it I am game. As much as I love it (especially for that large side burner) I am afraid it's a project I will never get to. Especially now with daughter buying a house (and I am sure all the calls for "dad how do you do this?") I am sure to get. I just got done knitting together a nice Honda Quadra Cut mower for her yesterday (the old back is feeling it this AM), I still have a nice Honda (real Honda made in Japan) snow blower that I rebuilt a carb for I have to put together, the Q300 sitting on my deck that needs finishing and so much more. So I think it's time to reclaim my front patio LOL. Bring whatever you think is "fair" and it plus all the spare parts (including a blue lid) are there for you

I will PM you.

Regarding the porcelain coated steel front panel. Have you considered hitting the starting-to-rust areas with high heat paint? I drilled holes in my WSM22 for the hinge and the silicone probe port. Based on info here from owners who had done these mods, I sprayed black gloss high heat paint into a cup and applied it with a q-tip to the now-porcelain-free exposed edges of the holes I drilled. Obviously, get rid of the rust first with por15 or similar product. That might buy you a few years of life.

Back