Substitute for butter on turkey

Matt Q

TVWBB Fan
Hi everyone,

I am planning on making my first turkey this year in my smokefire. Most recipes and guides suggest rubbing butter on turkey and/or injecting with butter. However, my son is allergic to dairy and I am looking for a substitute. Thanks for your help!

Vegetable oil or olive oil then perhaps a rub.

I don't think injection is necessary. If you take the breast to 160*F, the meat will be naturally moist and tender. Beyond that and you're heading into dry meat territory.

If you've got a natural turkey that's not injected (not a Butterball), try dry brining. No oil or injection. Sprinkle 1 TBSP Diamond Crystal kosher salt inside the cavity and rub it around. Mix 1/4 cup Diamond Crystal kosher salt with 1 TBSP baking powder and sprinkle it evenly over the outside of the turkey; depending on the size of the turkey, you may use all of it or have a little bit leftover. Wrap turkey in plastic wrap, place on a rimmed baking sheet pan, and refrigerator for 48 hours. Do not rinse, do not oil, do not rub, just smoke it. Baking powder enhances browning and crisping of skin. Salt flavors the meat and works like wet brining to denature proteins, causing the meat to hold on to more of its natural juices during cooking.

Last edited:
I agree with our fearless leader, don’t bother if there is an allergic issue! I have NEVER injected any of my birds. In 43 years. I have brined, dry brined basted with rendered fat, not bothered to do one blessed thong and no one has been “Bad” some have simply been “better” than others. For me, less seems to be more. Simple seasoning, not too much smoke. Full disclosure, I have always done them on the kettle, not tried for the long smoke.
Never needed the baking powder addition either just because, I had enough heard of that until visiting here. I get crispy skin on the kettle but, almost no one but my wife’s son and I give a damn about it. Win/Win for Matt and myself!

The only time I used to inject was when doing a deep fried turkey. I now use the Char-Broil Big Easy Oil Less infrared turkey fryer and I still inject.
I think/know from experience that it does work for that method.

Back