Storing hardwood chunks in the freezer

Mike Barrett

Has anyone tried storing hardwood chunks in an airtight container in the freezer? I know Fruita recommends storing fruit wood in the freezer so my guess is that it'd be fine but I figured I'd ask.

I posted back in October 2016 asking for wood storage suggestions in Southwest Florida. I opted to store my wood on a shelf in the garage. While moving the wood storage bins to a new shelf yesterday, I noticed I've attracted some drywood termites. I definitely don't want to be inviting those things in. Outdoor storage is problematic due to space constraints, humidity (deck boxes grow all kinds of nasty stuff), and drywood termites.

Thanks,
Mike

Is your garage made of wood or CMU's, cause I'd be worried about the termites being attracted to other sources.
As far as storing hardwood in a freezer? I don't see a problem, all my wood is in my unattached garage in bins, and in the middle of winter on a minus zero day it still smokes fine.:wsm:

Tim

Is your garage made of wood or CMU's, cause I'd be worried about the termites being attracted to other sources.

The garage and all exterior walls are stucco covered concrete block. We do have wood roof supports, though, and that's certainly a concern.

I didn't get a chance to tour all the giant wood freezers when I went to Franklin Barbecue, Louis Muellers, and Snows.

Totally different quality and freshness than what one normally gets when purchasing smoking woods from the big box stores.

But Bob, does it merit the luxury of resting in the freezer by my "bird like" vodka?
I store all my stuff in repurposed bakery tubs, like 5 gallon size. It would consume a lot of freezer space, better drink up the booze!

Unfortunately, mine does not have that luxury, although I wish they did ! The flavorful wood chunks are supplied fresh and ready for immediate use. After a 'few' months, those once flavorful chunks are just like any others you could buy elsewhere. Kind of like leaving the chewing gum on that bedpost... ;)

Keeping these wood chunks in a refrigerator will help keep them fresh.

Not sure about freezing the wood, unless you wrap and seal it...

Last edited:

Back