Storing Brisket and reheating

Jogan Thomas

TVWBB Member
I have just bought a vacuum sealer and doing a 5kg brisket on Sunday.

There is only two of us, so there will be a load of meat left.

Is is better to store in larger chunks or in smaller sliced up portions, say 4 slices?

Also, what is the best way to reheat from frozen?

Since you're going to be freezing it I'd break it down into portions that can be used in their entirety within a day or 2 of thawing, as refreezing can degrade the quality.

Awesome! Vacuum sealed is the way to go.

I did my first brisket just a couple weeks back and I cut it all into slices/pieces and vacuum sealed portions in smaller bags (ie enough for 1 or 2 people to have a decent taste/small meal)...ie about 3 slices or 5-6 chunks. Then froze.

When ready to eat, I took out of freezer overnight to thaw and then put in a simmering pot of water for 12-14 mins...the bag still sealed. Came out perfect.

Read you can put it in the pot of water frozen too...just will take about 5-7 minutes longer.

Awesome! Vacuum sealed is the way to go.

I did my first brisket just a couple weeks back and I cut it all into slices/pieces and vacuum sealed portions in smaller bags (ie enough for 1 or 2 people to have a decent taste/small meal)...ie about 3 slices or 5-6 chunks. Then froze.

When ready to eat, I took out of freezer overnight to thaw and then put in a simmering pot of water for 12-14 mins...the bag still sealed. Came out perfect.

Read you can put it in the pot of water frozen too...just will take about 5-7 minutes longer.

That sounds ideal, I have read various times for reheating from frozen, as that is what I will be doing. Plan to use this for meals throughout the week, so if it works could be really handy.

It has worked great for me - just haven't done it from frozen yet since I like to plan ahead. But I should try it to get a sense of time.

Good luck! ... we love our vacuum saver...we got the Foodsaver Gamesaver Titanium and it rocks!

1-2.jpg

I'm also a fan of the "fake" sous vide method. IF there are any leftovers that need to be held for a longer time, they are broken down into 1-2 pound chunks and vacuum sealed. When we are ready for brisket, I thaw about 24 hours in the fridge, and drop in a pot of 200 degree (F) water for about 30 minutes. Brings it back to almost as good as when it first came out of the cooler.
I've always heard: Don't slice it if you aren't going to eat it - surface area equals more space for moisture evaporation!

I slice it up
About half pound packs.... Enough for two good sandwiches
Vac seal.

There won't be nearly as much left as you think.
It's really not as much as it looks like, before trimming and cooking.

For wife and i, starting with 15 lb
Trim a couple lb fat=12 lb
50% yield after cook = 6 lb
First meal....we eat 2 lbs

Next....eat another lb

Slice up last 3 lbs and freeze in 6 packages... Or something like that.
not exact here, just to illustrate that you really won't have that much left.

I slice it up
About half pound packs.... Enough for two good sandwiches
Vac seal.

There won't be nearly as much left as you think.
It's really not as much as it looks like, before trimming and cooking.

For wife and i, starting with 15 lb
Trim a couple lb fat=12 lb
50% yield after cook = 6 lb
First meal....we eat 2 lbs

Next....eat another lb

Slice up last 3 lbs and freeze in 6 packages... Or something like that.
not exact here, just to illustrate that you really won't have that much left.
Thanks for the advice, I thought I would have bags of the stuff lol

Back