Storing Barbecued Ribs Properly

Wayne RI

Although I live alone, I frequently barbecue 4 racks of spareribs in my Weber Smoky Mountain at once and freeze most of them. Here's my question: Once I remove them from the pit, what is the proper procedure regarding cooling them down prior to putting them into the fridge or freezer? Should I let them sit in a cooler for an hour as I do with pork shoulder prior to pulling, or should I wrap them in foil, or should I just let them sit uncovered until they're cool enough to refrigerate? I'm concerned that they may dry out if left uncovered but I'm also concerned that they may steam if I wrap them in foil.
I would be interested to find out how you guys handle ribs that are destined for refrigeration or freezing.

Good question. I put them in a large, rectangular Tupperware container on the counter and set the lid on it off to the side slightly to vent any excess steam. When the container is cool to the touch I shake the condensation from the ribs that is on the bottom of the lid into the sink. Cover and refrigerate. It works pretty well for anything you don't want dried out or steamed excessively.

Thing is to cool them down as quickly as possible.
I use a metal sheet pan set on a cookie rack on the counter.
The rack allows air to pass underneath.
You can do the same thing if you set the pan on your cool stove grates.

Mine just cool on a cookie sheet on top of the stove
Then I slice them into about three or four sections and vacuum seal when they're cool

I wrap mine in foil near the end of the cook then set them on the counter to cool down still wrapped , once I feel they are cooled down enough I put them in the fridge over night then vacuum seal the next morning. I do this because my vac sealer will suck juices out the ribs if they are still warm and maybe cause an issue with the sealing process

Ribs cool quick as-is, pork tends to naturally.

They go in a ziploc after dinner and direct into the fridge. I’ve never frozen ribs, they don’t last that long.

Back