Steven Raichen/Project Smoke on Create Channel

Steven Paul

TVWBB Fan
I found this BBQ show by accident, I was curious if anybody else was watching?

The host also has a website with tons of recipes as well. The show's pretty good, he uses a bunch of different kind of smokers/grills and some fairly unusual ingredients.

It has been airing on my local PBS station. It's a decent show, but Steve's speaking cadence always reminds me of David Van Driessen, the hippie teacher on Beavis and Butthead.

vandriessen.gif

Steven Raichen is an interesting watch and read. I believe you can see the project smoke videos on his website. I've not seen them yet, but probably will. His BBQ Bible has been very helpful to me, prior to joining here. Now I get most if not all my info here

The food sometimes looks pretty good, but his monotone delivery wears on my nerves. It also seems like he's just pimping the smokers that were offered by the show's sponsors.

I agree with Dave from Denver. Steven presents lots of great ideas, but he's not exactly dynamic on camera. Still, I've watched all 12 episodes that have aired so far (dunno how many they're making), and I'm going to replicate some of his recipes/ideas.

I kind of like his laid back, matter-of-fact approach. His bacon show was excellent! I've just recently found this show and wanted to offer it up. Personally I enjoy seeing the variety of grills and smokers he uses.

I've seen a couple of these. I like it, but our local PBS (all 3 of them) aren't showing them at regular intervals. I think they're doing just to mess with me! :p

I've learned a good deal from Steve Raichlen. Of course, he is showing a variety of grills from his sponsors. Who do you think pays for those shows?LOL:rolleyes:

I picked up his DVD set at the half price book store a couple of years ago. Definitely worthwhile information. His recipes are doable too (not like some I've seen with 40/11 ingredients and using $30.00 worth of beer to cook a few brats before grilling, etc.).

I admit that most of the advanced stuff I do I learned HERE but it's always good to pick up a pointer or two from someone else.

So, on record, I LIKE his shows :D...

Keep on smokin',
Dale53:wsm:

Howdy Phil. I'm watching on 'Create' channel, which I never knew I had until someone told me about the Aaron Franklin shows which are also on that channel.

Reviving an old thread here because I just discovered these (Project Smoke) and I'm watching the second season. I've seen a few recipes that I am definitely going to try out. Based on Raichlen's bible book it seems he's evolved significantly and really mixes up the old standards! I really need to smoke more.

I enjoy his shows, everything is available on YouTube. I bought his Project Smoke book, beautiful book.

I've caught a few of the episodes, mostly by accident, but enjoyed them. He did one on how to smoke without a dedicated smoker, which was cool. It's always nice to see something that almost anyone can cook without a bunch of expensive equipment. I actually made the Persian smoked eggplant dip from that episode for our Labor Day BBQ yesterday and it was very good (and I really don't like eggplant).

He dose get to use some real pretty equipment.
as stated he has a lot interesting recipes that are not hard to reproduce.
informative.

I've caught a few of the episodes, mostly by accident, but enjoyed them. He did one on how to smoke without a dedicated smoker, which was cool. It's always nice to see something that almost anyone can cook without a bunch of expensive equipment...

This is exactly what hooked me about Mr. Raichlen 15+ years ago when his focus was on relaying the history of live fire cooking and he openly stated all you need is a Weber kettle. As too often happens, with popularity came sponsors wanting in on the action, and funded by advertising $$$$ his focus shifted from that of an educator/food historian to just another spokesmodel/product shill. I can't bear to watch his shows for this reason but I still enjoy leafing through his books so long as I have a grain of salt handy.

Went to see him at an event sponsored by our local PBS Station around the time he was launching his "Planet Barbecue!" book.
Had a great time and picked up a few pointers. I think that his books, when he has more time to gather his thoughts and write them down in a semi-eloquent manner, are better than his TV shows.

I REALLY like the "Planet Barbecue!" book - there are some great ways to experiment with flavors and techniques from all over the world.

I really like the content, but his voice drives me crazy. My wife can't stand it - she makes me turn it off. Anyone else find that having a BBQ show at a fancy golf resort is strange? I feel like BBQ shows should be in someone's backyard.

I tried to watch Bobby Flay's BBQ show as well, but that seems more about grilling than BBQ.

Anyone else find that having a BBQ show at a fancy golf resort is strange? I feel like BBQ shows should be in someone's backyard.

YES! I loved watching him on BBQ University when he was cooking 'cue in the mountains of West Virginia. Man, that was some great must see TV IMHO. Loved it and wanted to attend his classes in that location.

I tried to watch Bobby Flay's BBQ show as well, but that seems more about grilling than BBQ.

Again, YES! But don't get me started. Food Network, IMHO, used to be about cooking (Wow! What a concept!), but it's now all about the personalities (or lack thereof...but I digress). It drives me nuts so watch a show called "BBQ" anything when it's really all about grilling. Sorry, but grilling does not = BBQ.

"Kids BBQ Championship" on Food Network involved a bunch of kids grilling steaks and veggies. No BBQ in sight. "Bobby's backyard BBQ" is a show about grilling.

I'm done with Food Network. So old now...and what a shame because I used to be the most loyal fan ever.

Back