Stealth Smokefire

I don't think the Smokefire is dead either. I am not sure what the point of the Stealth was to paint something flat black and charge more money for it I actually liked the look of the originals better. Did anyone ever determine if the changes they made on the Stealth internals improve anything?

The other thing is inventory mgt instead of supporting 2 models your supporting 4 models of basically the same thing. Now if the Stealth had meaningfull improvements and I have no idea then getting rid of the Stealth and just incorporate those improvements into the original models now your only supporting 2 models.

I think the most obvious thing was the addition of an internal light. Apparently some other stuff others can shed more light on what else the Stealth brought.

I agree with you that Weber needs more models of the same grill like a hole in the head. So if only rolling out a mildly updated version - maybe in time for summer bbq - it would make sense to have just one of each size with the requisite improvements.

I think it is still possible we will see a SmokeFire II (or even possibly a new name) with more significant changes and that Weber wants to clear the deck first. Any changes would then be compared to the original SmokeFire rather than the Stealth, since a new version would probably include the modest Stealth improvements.

I also like the original look better, not that the Stealth is not also attractive. I think they did that color change to make an otherwise unremarkable “improved” version stand out more and justify a higher price. Weber will certainly have to charge a higher price for any revised pellet grill.

I still think that Weber is missing some low hanging fruit by not making a pellet kettle to compete with Recteq’s two models.

I don't think the Smokefire is dead either. I am not sure what the point of the Stealth was to paint something flat black and charge more money for it I actually liked the look of the originals better. Did anyone ever determine if the changes they made on the Stealth internals improve anything?

The other thing is inventory mgt instead of supporting 2 models your supporting 4 models of basically the same thing. Now if the Stealth had meaningfull improvements and I have no idea then getting rid of the Stealth and just incorporate those improvements into the original models now your only supporting 2 models.
I also like the original look better. I happen to think that the redesigned elements of the Stealth did improve the user experience and, if they release a Gen3, that would be a good start. The old casters were so cheap that the improved casters are a big improvement. The insulated sleeve and front heat shield in the cook chamber allows ungloved use of the handle at high temps. The redesigned fire pot and glow plug assembly improve reliability and the Stealth owners report that the redesigned pellet hopper improves pellet flow which decreases the flameout probability. The crafted grate system is an upgrade and the interior light is useful at times.

Lew, thanks for reminding about the other improvements. I couldn’t remember them all. I think you will see them and some more in some kind of new model.

Another thing Weber could easily do is to offer some choice in hood colors. I actually really like black, but I think some customers would be attracted to ones like they are offering on some other new items such as the Traveler and the new Lumin electric grill. This would be a low-cost way to get needed attention.

Much more important is showing that some of the weak internal parts have been significantly upgraded. The bean counters need to let the engineers include more REAL stainless steel!

Much more important is showing that some of the weak internal parts have been significantly upgraded. The bean counters need to let the engineers include more REAL stainless steel!
Based upon how much money BDT had to lend to Weber besides buying the public shares the bean counters will be running the show for the forseeable future at least till BDT gets their loan money back which is unsecured by the way. I know people want this and that nice colors, Jon really hope you see the Kettle Pellet Grill in your lifetime which I would be willing to lay money now that you won't see it in your lifetime.

Weber IMO needs to stop trying to be everything to everyone I worked for a Big Blue Tech Company who tried to do that it did not work. They ended up splitting the company and they are doing a whole lot better now focusing on stuff that actually sells and makes a good profit.

Lew, so the Gen 3 does exist stop calling it a Stealth get rid of the original Smokefires and just sell the Stealth with a different name in the 4 and 6 models, again down to 2 from 4. :)
Brian, that's one way to do it and I would love to see it. So we wait and see what Weber does next.

Brian, I am afraid you are right about Weber being in a precarious financial position. I am just saying that there are some things they can do on the cheap to generate more sales and more presence on the sale floors of big box stores. They certainly need that! One model but with different color lids I just think would be easier than different versions with different features.

Same goes with gas grills where there are now so many Genesis and Spirit models that even a grill nut like me has lost track. They could cut that way back but on the Genesis offer a few more colors to make a bolder statement.

You are probably right that there won’t be a Weber pellet key any time soon. Still, how hard would it be to adapt a pellet feeder to a kettle in a Performer type base? Spider offers an aftermarket hack to accomplish this. Why can’t Weber integrate some thing similar in a more complete package?

Last edited:
Brian, I am afraid you are right about Weber being in a precarious financial position. I am just saying that there are some things they can do on the cheap to generate more sales and more presence on the sakes floors of big box stores. They certainly need that! One model but with different color lids I just think would be easier than different versions with different features.

Same goes with gas grills where there are now so many Genesis and Spirit models that even a grill nut like me has lost track. They could cut that way back but on the Genesis offer a few more colors to make a bolder statement.

You are probably right that there won’t be a Weber pellet key any time soon. Still, how hard would it be to adapt a pellet feeder to a kettle in a Performer type base? Spider offers an aftermarket hack to accomplish this. Why can’t Weber integrate some thing similar in a more complete package?
Like so many other products being sold right now, Weber has to make and sell a slightly different version to each of their retail vendors to make price matching impossible for the customers. Even though Weber, in my opinion as well, has way too many model numbers, so many of their parts are interchangeable. I’m sure this helps keep their inventory items lower.

Smokefire isn’t dead. No way they pull the plug on it right now, it’s a heck of a cooker and I’m absolutely in love with mine. Planning on picking up an EX4 as well.

Re: Weber going forward. I would like to see them trim down on models while offering things such as colors and certainly accessories. There are TOO MANY versions of gas and frankly kettles; offer the new Genesis in whichever configuration sells more (3 or 4 burner), I suppose keep Summit although I’m not sure it sells that well, and a basic three burner Spirit. No more than maybe five gas options, oh I suppose add two more for natural gas hookup for Genesis and Summit.

Kettle, keep the standard basic (assuming it still sells well) and the Master Touch line which I suspect sells the most. Offer 18, 22, 26, Kamado and Ranch and call it good. Performer as well. There’s about 7 kettle offerings there.

Color options on any aren’t that expensive; tooling on kettle has long been paid for

It might not be that hard or maybe it would be, takes valuable research and development then marketing dollars they are not in the position to do that. The Smokefire is not getting back into HD no matter what they do for a new version, again in the Traeger/Cook conf call in November they are actually expanding their floor space in HD that relationship for the time being is solid which can change down the road but again not happening this year as I said earlier floor space for 2023 is probably made in stone and HD never carried the Smokefire to begin with. Lowes probably pissed forever as they got screwed so what possible reason would they take on next year meaning 2024 another pellet grill from Weber meaning floor space until whatever gen proves itself.

I want them to succeed but there has been alot of bridges burned you can't even find a Smokefire in Ace down my way its Traeger if you want a pellet grill and there is no reason for them to carry anything else to compete with that.

Weber to my knowledge has always been a fair trade product. Meaning dealers are not allowed to mark them down so price matching is (or should not be) an issue

Weber to my knowledge has always been a fair trade product. Meaning dealers are not allowed to mark them down so price matching is (or should not be) an issue
Advertised price in store is easily bypassed by other forms of store discounts. Member discounts, senior discounts, first responders discounts, 20% off coupons and discounts based on dollar amount spent or just throwing in add on items at no charge to name a few. The name of the game in marketing is to confuse the consumer and make it difficult to compare items. This is not knock just on Weber. It’s just what every retailer wants and does to sell product.
But I’m sure the fair trade listed advertising price helps.

Last edited:
Advertised price in store is easily bypassed by other forms of store discounts. Member discounts, senior discounts, first responders discounts, 20% off coupons and discounts based on dollar amount spent or just throwing in add on items at no charge to name a few. The name of the game in marketing is to confuse the consumer and make it difficult to compare items. This is not knock just on Weber. It’s just what every retailer wants and does to sell product.
But I’m sure the fair trade listed advertising price helps.
I believe Weber enforces a MAP pricing scheme; Minimum Advertised Price.

Advertised price isn’t selling price.

And Weber’s MAP advertising excludes discounting through special programs.

There are ways to earn discounts on Weber products however. You can use an Amazon credit card and get 5% cash back.

Some local retailers will create value added bundles which offer free or discounted items along with a grill purchase.

And then you have the end of season, inventory clearance or product clear outs (liquidations).

This is today's response to my question to Weber. Not unexpected, we're getting what appears to be conflicting information from Weber employees. Chorbi said that the Stealth is dead and that's how it looks to this consumer. This email doesn't actually say it's not. So we wait. :unsure:

Matthew S (Weber Grills)

Jan 17, 2023, 08:58 CST

Hello Lewis,

Our SmokeFire Stealth Edition wood pellet grill is currently out of stock on weber.com. We are working hard to replenish the inventory for our online site. For forum members interested in finding out where they can purchase a SmokeFire Stealth grill, please share that they can visit the sites of our retail partners, including Amazon.com, Home Depot, BBQ Guys, Best Buy, and other retailers.

Last edited:

Back