Steak Time!

Boy, now I’m really looking forward to meeting Jim in a couple of weeks! The only thing I can say is it looks pretty tough to beat!
Not planning on feasting, but some chatting will be a ball! A discussion of chuck eyes will have to happen too!
The biggest problem with most beef for me is my wife insists I kill the poor cow twice! I can have a nice rare steak but hers has to be well done! The last time I did some cap steaks I figured it out, three to the package, take one and re tie it and cut it in half. That left the two “Manly” men (her son and I) to have full mass delights and the ladies, their well done pieces. So, I think it is simply a matter of getting her a steak which is half the thickness of whatever I want! Easy enough at a real butcher but, not so much at the grocery store.

Chuckeye if cut properly is a wonderful steak. Trouble is trying to find a meat cutter that can/will give you a TRUE chuckeye

trying to compare them is a waste of time.
no similarities whatsoever.
you either prefer one or the other.

What? Trying to compare a strip and a skirt steak is a waste of time? Trying to compare a flank steak to a rib steak is a waste of time? Should I go on?

If you like chuckeye steaks fine -- they are a CHEAP cut. But it is the market that sets the price for beef ... and more expensive cuts have more appeal to consumers than cheap cuts --- particularly as I've learned that chuck eye steaks are limited to 2 per cow. People at my butchers are not buying chuck. Sorry. Maybe because we are an upscale Conn suburb .. One should never apologize for success.

Maybe because we are an upscale Conn suburb .. One should never apologize for success.

Congrats Jan, you just impressed the hell out of me. :rolleyes:
Prime brisket at Costco is around $3.99/lb., guess it's too cheap for your exquisite palate too?
I'm done with hijacking Marty's post, carry on if you must.

What? Trying to compare a strip and a skirt steak is a waste of time? Trying to compare a flank steak to a rib steak is a waste of time? Should I go on?

If you like chuckeye steaks fine -- they are a CHEAP cut. But it is the market that sets the price for beef ... and more expensive cuts have more appeal to consumers than cheap cuts --- particularly as I've learned that chuck eye steaks are limited to 2 per cow. People at my butchers are not buying chuck. Sorry. Maybe because we are an upscale Conn suburb .. One should never apologize for success.

i give up jan
you are correct
I bow to you
enjoy your life.

Look folks, the whole idea of this style of cooking is making the most of what you have, isn’t it?
I suppose strictly speaking that would be the barbecue category but, close enough. For me it’s getting the best bang for the buck and that INCLUDES FRUGALITY, when possible. I have absolutely no dog in the fight between expensive cuts and cheap cuts, they simply need to be treated differently.
I am not in a situation where I can just go buy the 1 3/4” ribeye (raspberries to strips, sorry) that I want anymore, learning to spin wheat into gold is where time and experience, as well as personal preference, comes into play.
Yes, trying to compare a skirt to a strip is folly! They are such different structure. I’m very happy that you love your strips, Jan. Indulge yourself.
I will continue to learn how to make the most of “Cheap” pieces of meat and save the extra (x cost per pound) for a stack of prime ribeye or a fine standing rib roast for a special party.
Carry on

Before I bought the rounded GrillGrate Marty suggested. Vortex Rib Eyes.....

M4P71L7.jpg

Thanks Marty.

Timmothy I'll leave the light on for you...till 8:00pm.

One day I will get to try a wonderful tender Chuckeye Steak that Bob Correl and Jim Lampe Talk About.
Until then thanks again Marty for your help cooking some great steaks...

Jeff, it’s 7:20 here, I guess those sections of beefy goodness are not destined for me!
I am going to have a face to face with J.L. Maybe next week or so. I had a guy grab a package of chuck eyes as I was looking at some ribeyes and say, “These are the BEST!”
He had not missed many meals so, I will give it a shot! If they are “Philly of Sole” (thanks Shemp) not a huge investment. Should the the project be a huge hit, yay!

Yeppirs Chuckeye is a great steak (if you can actually find them), so is skirt (especially if you can find outside skirt a very rare cut indeed), but then so is a ribeye, a strip, a top sirloin/butt steak. Geez give it a rest. They're all good (if treated correctly) and if cut/butchered correctly as well. Of course buying at least choice grade helps as well. Me, I am not a steak snob. They can all be delicious or disaster depending how they're prepared.

Yeppirs Chuckeye is a great steak (if you can actually find them), so is skirt (especially if you can find outside skirt a very rare cut indeed), but then so is a ribeye, a strip, a top sirloin/butt steak. Geez give it a rest. They're all good (if treated correctly) and if cut/butchered correctly as well. Of course buying at least choice grade helps as well. Me, I am not a steak snob. They can all be delicious or disaster depending how they're prepared.

I totally agree, just because you can spend some cash, doesn't always mean success...
A good cook can make a difference.

Tim

OK, finally got around to doing the chuckeye last night, results...
First, the Vortex is one of the best pieces of grilling paraphernalia I have ever bought!
Second, it was bitter cold and pretty dark by the time I got the kettle rolling properly
The steak was a touch over an inch thick, fairly nicely marbled and all in all pretty good looking.
As my wife wants things “Well Done” I took a section off one end and put both pieces in the cast iron insert for the GBS. Fire was perfect for the cook, as for the steak, was it a Ribeye? No! But, it was pretty darned good! There was actually enough that I could not finish it off so, I’m killing it off as cold sliced beef with some cheese and crackers for dinner tonight.
So, if you have a taste for some decent beef but, can’t spring for a ribeye, go ahead try a Chuck eye! They are pretty cheap and the flavor on mine was delightful yes, a little chewy but for a $5.00 steak? I give it a thumbs up ��!

OK, finally got around to doing the chuckeye last night!

You know we want some pictures!

When I first saw chuckeyes posted here they were cheaper than ribeye but now on the rare occasion I see them the price is = to ribeye.

I need to stop in more often to the place that had them most regularly......

Back