Steak Club #48

Rich G

TVWBB Honor Circle
I hosted the boys last night for our monthly steak gathering. The steak (tri-tip) was great, the sides were good, but the star of the show were the pork belly burnt ends I served as an appetizer....followed closely by my new favorite dinner rolls (2nd time making these after the maiden voyage on Turkey Day.

The tri-tip was cooked sous vide just to reduce my logistics a bit on a work day, then seared on my GG with the pellet cooker on full blast. Could have gotten the GG hotter for a better sear, but worked fine. Roasted the asparagus in the oven, and did potatoes in the skillet.

For the PBBE, I followed Malcom Reed's process on howtobbqright.com, and they were fantastic! Pretty heavy as an appetizer, but, hey, it's Steak Club! :) The rolls are the "Super Soft Sourdough Rolls" at theperfectloaf.com, and they baked up to a nice tall, pillowy roll with just a touch of sweetness to them. I did grab a few pics before the gin and cigars kicked in!

1638982039447.jpeg

1638982021773.jpeg

1638982053394.jpeg

1638982062031.jpeg

Sounds like a fun club and monthly gatherings. Nice cook. I’m getting ready for some pork belly burnt ends which I’ll do on the E6. Gotta find me a nice slab to buy.

The only problem I see is a strong likelihood of you being nominated to host each month. Everything looks perfect!
Yep, I tried it once and after about three weeks, everyone just looked to me to throw the shindig!
I'm a lucky guy, I guess.....the three other guys in our Steak Club are excellent cooks, so we all look forward to our opportunity to host in the rotating schedule. We've been doing this since the middle of 2017, and it has worked out great. We even kept it up during "The Great Lockdown" by switching to a BYOM model, with everything grilled and consumed out of doors. I have a running log of what the steak entree was at each gathering, and, while there are repeats, there's a pretty good spread of different entrees (with some liberties taken with what constitutes "steak".) :)

R

Man oh man that is an impressive one Rich. Finding the roll recipe was super easy because, you know, yours looks just like if not better then the sites pics.
Thanks, Michael! Maurizio, the baker who runs The Perfect Loaf, has some great recipes and process tutorials.....I just followed his instructions to the letter!

I will make the PBBE again and again......just with some time in between to give my heart a break! :)

R

As usual steak club reminds me of looking at a super hot woman, you know it looks amazing but a tinge of sadness that you can never try it.
.....but, I KNOW you can make it for yourself, so cheer up, bud! ;) It's not like I cooked an $1,800 rib roast and didn't invite you! ;)

Back