Stanbroil Stainless Steel Cooking Grates For Weber Q

I had to buy a spool of stainless wire and I should have been using a different shielding gas, but I only have one bottle and they are crazy expensive, so I just used my regular bottle with Argon.

Bruce... wish I'd known you were interested in this. I'm set up for both MIG & TIG for SS.

I made a set of 304 SS 1/4" round stock grates for my rusty old charcoal grill a few years ago (rectangular, brand eludes me....) Love 'em.

But why weld them in the first place????? The clips are readily available, not cheap, but 'way cheaper than a visit to the dentist (thinking dingleberries and oxides here).

EDIT: I have a Q100 and my one-piece CI grate is in excellent condition. My interest in this is finding out if there is a problem with using the Weber clips with a split grate against the day that I need to replace my one-piece grate. I understand you guys in the midwest are in a constant battle against rust but that's not my fight.

Last edited:
Ed: If I had a set of clips, I would have used them. Plus, I got a chance to practice my SS welding on a real world project. It works for me.

JKalchick: Where are you in SE Min. I grew up in Winona.

Those look really good. I am REALLY interested in getting your impression of them. I would have thought bolting in a small discreet metal block on the front and back of the grill to support the center. Might have been easier than welding. Then the grate halves could simply be put in the dishwasher.
I kind of did not worry about buying another porcelain cast iron grate set too much. Actually bought 2 sets. One for the Q300 I gave the daughter, and 1 for the grill I traded you for. I figured in both cases these were 10 yo plus grills and still had original grates. And honestly the Uniflasy CI grates were made as well/better than the OEM ones and at $49 the thought process was hell, even if I have to buy a new set every 3 years or so. Who cares? I can eat a $49 set of grates. As they're made to do 2 jobs (heat dispersion and actual food cooking). But the stainless ones REALLY intrigue me. So please cook some damn steaks and chicken and tell me how they did :D

So, I finally got a chance to try out the grates. I heated up the grill to almost 500. It took about 15 minutes. Then I threw on a few burgers. Right after I did that, I realized, dang, I forgot to season them or spray some cooking spray on them. I thought for sure the ground beef would fuse to the grates. After several minutes, I checked them and was surprised they were not sticking at all. I finished the first side and flipped them (a tad over done for my liking) but still good. Then just a couple minutes on the second side and some cheese. They came out grate. I cannot say I got real good sear marks, but these were just burgers and the grates have wide slats so it doesn't lend well to sear marks. Maybe a nice ribeye would provide nice marks better. Anyway, that isn't to say the burgers didn't sear but more of an overall sear than just stripes.

The weight of these grates are not too far behind that of CI grates and I don't see them bleeding a lot of heat when the lid is open. In all reality, I cant find a negative to these grates. Heavy, sturdy and best of all, virtually maintenance free. I just turned the grill off when I was done and took the burgers in. I still haven't cleaned the grates or oiled them and I won't until time for my next cook. I will heat up the grill, take the spatula and do a quick scrape of the grates and then "maybe" spray some cooking oil on them and drop on my next meal.

I almost wish my camping Q100 needed new grates.

20201001 Stanbroil Q200 Grates (1).jpg
20201001 Stanbroil Q200 Grates (2).jpg

I think a new set is in my future. Thank you for weighing in. Actually I am more about overall sear than "marks" anyway. That is where the flavor comes from. Marks are just eye candy

Really, the only thing I have to say of any importance here is, "Better grab 'em, boys, before the "Bruce Effect" sets in."

I think a new set is in my future. Thank you for weighing in. Actually I am more about overall sear than "marks" anyway. That is where the flavor comes from. Marks are just eye candy

You may be surprised to see me say this, but I agree totally. Only thing is that I really like eye candy :coolkettle: !

Thanks for the post a lot of us have been waiting for, Bruce. Looks like this is the fix for Q grills with worn-out grates and likelihood of sitting unused for extended periods or being in tough climates or other rust inducing situations.

I know I would rather cook on the cast iron grates, but I don't like when they rust or especially peel off porcelain. This is an almost worry-free solution. I am glad I took the plunge back in June when I bought a set for the Q320 I rehabbed for my Florida church's property out in the boondocks. I sold them on the Q grill idea, but I knew the grates were the one drawback. Problem seems solved with this. (That grill has yet to be used as the property has seen no activity to speak of with this stupid COVID virus.) I knew the grates LOOKED good and were heavy. Now we have some hands on actual USE! Keep us posted as you try other stuff.

Doesn't anyone want to know if they are magnetic? Seems like that question is always asked. Bruce, are they magnetic?

Yes, they are magnetic. Take that for what it is worth. It would probably drop my 10/10 rating to a 9/10.
While I understand the superiority of 304SS over 430 and many other versions, I personally don't consider it a deal breaker in any way.
The big hurdle is Stainless. 304 is just icing on the cake in my opinion. I guess we will have to wait a few years for an update from me, but I expect this set to last me at least 3 times as long as those CI sets do.

Thanks for your fair and unbiased review! As I've said before, the only thing that really matters is that you are happy with your purchase, and it certainly seems like you are. From what I can see, these grates were very expensive early on and only recently has the price dropped. The stock is getting low on Amazon (10 left on the Q3xxx & Q2xxx, 14 left on the Q1xxx ) so if anyone is sitting on the fence, it might be time to dive on in.

All the best, Bruce -

Last edited:
Just ordered a set for myself. I know I have the PCCI grates I just bought, but I'll keep those oiled up inside for "special occasions" LOL For $59.99 I figured I could not go wrong. Bruce, a BIG thanks for taking the plunge on testing them out

No problem guys. I really wanted a set since they came out a while back, but I couldn't justify the price and at the time didn't need a replacement. But, since then, the price has dropped nicely and my CI grates had gotten to a point that they NEEDED to be replaced. It was almost a no brainer when I saw the price drop.

Like, I said, the grates on my Q100 camper grill are nearly new so I won't just replace them. I have a Q3xx waiting for rehab that doesn't have any grates. I was thinking about pulling the trigger on a set for that grill but they are $60. I can get aftermarket CI grates for $40 for that grill.

But, Jon and some others might want to consider this version of the flat SS Stanbroil grates for the Q3xx. One grate is $30, so two would be $60 and you don't even need the coupon. They would make those cool cross hatched sear marks. I would assume they are made out of the same SS as the regular version. https://www.amazon.com/product-revi...r&reviewerType=all_reviews#reviews-filter-bar

Back