Stainless Steel Cooking grates for the Q grills

Chris in GA

TVWBB Super Fan
So it looks like these are just regular grates with a solid SS piece that go over the burners. Pretty cool. Has anyone tried the Q 3200 variant of these ?

Last edited:

Bruce

TVWBB Olympian
Sam, thanks for that review. I will be looking forward to a follow up after you have a chance to burn some cow flesh on it. Did you drop that in a Q100 or a later model?

LMichaels

TVWBB Hall of Fame
I will be watching as well as since the actual cast iron grate is an integral part of the design and how heat is distributed it will be interesting. Because the grate is actually also the "radiant" much like a flavorizer bar. IIRC also on the rotisserie setup for the Q3xxx the grate is actually supposed to stay in place during use. So I really have my doubts on this setup

Jon Tofte

TVWBB Platinum Member
Very interesting...I also look forward to your real world results. Thanks for sharing the pictures. You can at least see that they are decently made and apparently 304 stainless, too.

I think Larry has legitimate concerns about the loss of radiant heat. Only real grilling can answer that. My initial reaction is that this might be less of an issue in a 100/1000 or a 300/3200 which both have favorable btu-to-size ratios. My favorite, the 200/2200, is not as blessed in that regard, so the extra boost from the hot cast iron may be more important on it than the small or large Q’s.

Chris in GA

TVWBB Super Fan
Radiant heat that is a useful concept. I see the point with the genesis flavor bars they act as radiant heat. I like that explanation. As i was growing up in Europe we used to heat the house with furnace made of terracotta type material and used real coal mine. It did put out a lot of radiant heat. I also see the grate from the Q series radiant as there is nothing else below the iron grate to act as such. Fire is an interesting topic. Cool explanations guys 🤙

Last edited:

Bruce

TVWBB Olympian
So I finally purchased this...

https://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/B07T52ZVW6/tvwb-20

The grate feels nice and solid and welds look pretty good. Of course the spacing could be better but the plate that covers the burner should be able to help with slipping burger patties and such. Did the magnet test and the magnets did not stick to the grates so maybe that's a good thing? We'll see how long this one will hold up though but so far not a bad buy at less than $50.
Sam, any updates on the Stainless grates???

Richard Garcia

TVWBB Super Fan
Tom Bauer: I have the Custom Grill Grate for my Weber Smoky Joe and three(3) other Grill Grate Plates for my Weber Mastertouch. Totally Agree that they are one great product which I purchased around two(2) years ago.

Bruno

TVWBB Pro
Now those are interesting, I only use my Q-320 for veggies but I could see doing some meat on this stainless grate.