Split Session over Two Days?

Alex Enkerli

TVWBB Member
Any insight on stopping a smoking session (probably at foil time) and resuming it the next day?

So, my picnic (a mere 8lbs.) has been marinating for a while, so I really want to start smoking it tomorrow (Thursday). What's more, tomorrow is my birthday and since my WSM is a birthday gift, I really want to use it on that day.
Problem is, I have an appointment in the afternoon. And I don't think I'll start smoking bright and early tomorrow morning. So, it sounds like I'll have to cut my BBQ session short, and finish it up on Friday.

I think it might work but is there any special consideration?

Braising could work too, but I'm less concerned about cutting time and more into splitting the BBQ session into two. It could make for a fun time, Friday, to finish it up.

Thanks!

I'm assuming your talking about a butt? I'd rather finish the cook and reheat than split the cook. Ymmv

From a food safety perspective, my own personal feeling is I would not do that. If you even chuck that hot butt in the fridge it will take forever to get out of the danger zone with all that residual heat energy. I would put it on 12:01am Friday (or later if possible assuming from your your post you wish to partake Friday afternoon/evening) for an overnighter.

If you choose to split the cook chill the butt as quickly as possible, like in a ziplock in an icewater bath or something to reduce your risk.

Last edited:
Since your WSM is new a better option might be to do a higher heat butt on Friday. They can be done up to 375ºF IMO.

…although… How about finishing in slowcooker? That way, it shouldn’t spend too much time in the danger zone, right?

…although… How about finishing in slowcooker? That way, it shouldn’t spend too much time in the danger zone, right?

You could, but then you'd be braising the meat and would lose a lot of the bark and flavour. Better to finish it in the oven than the slow cooker in my opinon.

You could, but then you'd be braising the meat and would lose a lot of the bark and flavour. Better to finish it in the oven than the slow cooker in my opinon.

Bang on. After 3 hr or so, the smoke benefit pretty well stops. Put it inan open roaster in your 225o oven for the rest of the time. You will not notice a (negative) change in taste doing this. It will taste great!

I agree with the oven concept. As said, the first three hours are your true window for smoke. After that, you're mostly just cooking. I am going to try an 8-9 lb butt on my smoker soon by smoking for three hours then into the oven and let it go.
If it works out that saves me at lot of precious fuel (wood splits) and time.
Whatever you decide to do, let us know :wsm:

Decided to simply postpone my cook instead of doing anything weird. Thought me a lesson about planning.
About 90 minutes in, meat is at 129ºF.

Back