Spinning a Breast with Infrared Power (and a different item to show the burner)

BFletcher

TVWBB Platinum Member
One of my favorite uses of a rotisserie is on turkey breasts in the Kettle. This time, I was excited to see the results from the Summit by utilizing the infrared burner, which is a new experience to me. I've used it several times over the past month and I feel blessed to have it. Probably my biggest mistake is keeping that burner on too long, sometimes.

Here's the finished breast. Life has been somewhat different in recent months with the passing of my Mother-in-law, one Son moving out by marriage, and the other moving into his Grandma's house. We're all within 1/4 mile but given the newness of adjustments we haven't been breaking bread together as much. So it's a learning experience for Shelley and me to cook for just the two of us. But we'll all get our groove back soon and enjoy some meals together again.

20210321_211431.jpg

And if Raichlen can put a spin on ribs then so can we, right? This is obviously the beginning of that particular cook. It's one of a few where I used the infrared burner too long. I may not do ribs this way again but it made for a fun play day.

20210314_185245.jpg

Thanks for peeking, Gang!

Fletcher,
Please, if you are willing, tell me more about that Turkey Breast, recipe, cooking process, what you served with it, that looks so good and I would love to put that on the short list of cooks to do on my new rotisserie. Is it whole bone in skin on breast or boneless skinless? Looks like a whole bone in skin on.

Fletcher,
Please, if you are willing, tell me more about that Turkey Breast, recipe, cooking process, what you served with it, that looks so good and I would love to put that on the short list of cooks to do on my new rotisserie. Is it whole bone in skin on breast or boneless skinless? Looks like a whole bone in skin on.
You're gonna give me the big head, Michael. I'm not an expert and, most likely, I got turned-on to these by reading of others' posts here when I started outdoor cooking late 2015. But I buy whole turkey breasts from Kroger or Meijer and they are always frozen and contain up-to probably a 15% salt solution. Typically, they are ~8 lb breasts. I've never injected them (not that I can recall); I simply thaw in the fridge or in a cold water bath, remove some excess fat, prick the skin in multiple areas, apply a rub (usually Mrs. Dash Chicken Seasoning or Pit Barrel Cooker All Purpose Seasoning, neither of which probably result in any stellar results compared to others), and let it hang out on a wire rack in the fridge for up-to a few hours. Then it goes on the spit in the Kettle or--in this instance--the Summit and I estimate that my average pit temp is 350*f for ~2 to 2.5 hours. Then I let them rest for about 20 minutes and I carve (I'm a horrible carver but an awesome eater).

But let me brag about one aspect of this: I made that breast last weekend and it's the first time I saved the carcass. I threw it in the freezer last Sunday and pulled it out at 6 AM this morning and made my first-ever turkey stock (first ever stock of any nature) and just now finished turkey soup. I feel a little more accomplished having made use of a carcass :)

Please, others, share your expert methods!

Looks Tasty!

We've gone through the same downsizing for cooking. Hence the Q1200 and the 14" WSM. Perfect for cooking for two, but still big enough to cook for more when needed.

That looks great! My Summit has been sitting for a while (I ran outta fuel), but your post might just make me get up off my rear and go to the store.

Back