Spider Huntsman vs Chud Grill

Paul Warner

TVWBB Super Fan
Chud has new grill, looks similar to his previous designs and its SS. Twice the price of the Spider but still different
enough to be of interest imo

Only $1,850! It is amazing how all these new products are coming out that really do not do anything that the good old Weber kettle has been doing for years.

Well, I do think this one has the Spider Huntsman in it sights, given the comment about stainless steel supposedly retaining heat better than carbon steel and therefor "we were able to use thinner material without sacrificing quality."

I know almost nothing about metals, so I won't comment on that. I will say that the Huntsman LOOKS a lot better to me, and it offers compatibility with 22" kettle accessories.

Lest I be deemed "defensive" because I am a pre-orderer of the Huntsman, I will say I can't argue that you can cook just as well with a Weber kettle. That's why I have a number of them (and because they are just so cool :coolkettle: ). However, the Huntsman lands in a somewhat different territory to me. Those who comment often compare it to a kamado type grill, but to me it is more like a kettle with some features borrowed from an offset smoker. The most important of which to me is that fuel door. I think that is truly innovative in a kettle shaped grill, and I can't blame Chud for incorporating one in their new offering.

Bradly has been working on the Chudbox for a while..... I give him credit for swapping over to 100% stainless, but that comes at a cost. I'm really digging those sliding grates too --- excellent idea. Is it worth $1850 ? Not to me or many others, but there are plenty of people with plenty of money that may think so. How many santa maria grills and those goofy 'brazilian' grills that Mad Scientist played with get sold?

I'm surprised at how much the Chud Press is myself..... $400 ?...?...? But again, its all SS.

I get what you are saying and agree (have said so previously) that a Weber kettle CAN cook as well. When you say metal kamado, not sure which grill you are referring to. A Weber Summit Kamado costs a good bit more than this Huntsman.

I will give my honest assessments after my Huntsman arrives next month and I have time to put it through its paces. I currently think the price is actually a bargain for a higher end, innovative product, but let's see what I think after using it a few times. Those who have reviewed it so far seem to have a lot of good things to say. Dawgfatha messaged me that the Huntsman was "quickly becoming a go-to grill on the BBQ Boulevard!":cool:

I know this is a Weber forum, and if you visited my home office (to see what my wife lets me get by with!) and my overstuffed sheds, you would have no doubt that I am a serious Weber fan!

CharQ Redone sitting in my Office.JPEGOffice Weber Display.JPEGOffice Grills.JPEG

I can see having a separate section in our forum, but I do think that comparing other company's new products is a good way to keep Weber on its toes. I would love to see Weber adopt some of the Huntsman ideas, and I have noted several times here that Weber could easily make a GREAT pellet kettle. Look at what Recteq is asking for their newest one; Weber could readily make one just as nice:

Last edited:
I get what you are saying and agree (have said so previously) that a Weber kettle CAN cook as well. When you say metal kamado, not sure which grill you are referring to. A Weber Summit Kamado costs a good bit more than this Huntsman.

I will give my honest assessments after my Huntsman arrives next month and I have time to put it through its paces. I currently think the price is actually a bargain for a higher end, innovative product, but let's see what I think after using it a few times. Those who have reviewed it so far seem to have a lot of good things to say. Dawgfatha messaged me that the Huntsman was "quickly becoming a go-to grill on the BBQ Boulevard!":cool:

I know this is a Weber forum, and if you visited my home office (to see what my wife lets me get by with!) and my overstuffed sheds, you would have no doubt that I am a serious Weber fan!

View attachment 93674View attachment 93673View attachment 93672

I can see having a separate section in our forum, but I do think that comparing other company's new products is a good way to keep Weber on its toes. I would love to see Weber adopt some of the Huntsman ideas, and I have noted several times here that Weber could easily make a GREAT pellet kettle. Look at what Recteq is asking for their newest one; Weber could readily make one just as nice:

The Huntsman is a different animal. It's a Kamado of sorts.
That Chud thing is an overpriced tailgate grill.
Metal Kamado = Akorn and similar.
WSK for sure.

That Chud grill is going to have a lot of versatility for low and slow, hot and fast, etc. It'd make a great SCA grill. I don't think it's in any way a response to the Huntsman. He's been developing that grill for a long time. Is it worth all that money? The stainless offers a lot of value and longevity. The Huntsman you are automatically putting a end of life on at least with the built in electronics. It's pretty cool though. I'd like to see more grills like it. I'm not buying either as the Kettle does what I actually cook perfectly well.

Last edited:

Back