Spice heads unite!

Anne, that bit about less water when growing is great! Thank you. Now if we just got enough sun so I could actually grow anything. (Love my place, but with 80-90 foot hardwoods all around we are limited to about 3-4 max sun. No, cutting trees isn't an option -- rather have forest than be a gardner.) But with your tip, I may try containers on my upper deck if I can determine whether that location will actually get more sun.

I usually slice them thinly and put them in a small bowl, pour over some Thai fish sauce/Viet nouc mam and use it as table seasoning. Goes with anything and is a lot better for you than table salt :)

Self inflicted injury is specifically excluded. I’m doomed. What in the world do you eat those with?
Ok, so the funny thing is I probably won't eat them at all. WAY too hot for me at over 1M on the Scoville scale. I'm growing them to help the guy who created the hybrid to have more plants out there to see if the variety has reached stability (fourth generation seeds), or, if there is still variability in the plant/fruits, what that looks like. I do have a buddy who will happily take any fruit and munch away on it, though, so it'll get used. I may smoke/dry some so I can use it to ward off evil doers, though.

I'm more of a Jalapeno, Habanero, Serrano kind of guy. I've got Chilaca (Pasilla when dried), Guajillo, and Poblano (Ancho when dried) going as they are some of my favorites for cooking. I've got three varieties of Jalapeno (hot, not the wimpy, "we bred the heat out of them so everyone could eat poppers" variety), habanero, and Sugar Rush Peach (about habanero hotness) in the "garden".

I did plant a black Thai pepper, but it didn't survive. May try again. I plan to do some more "culinary" varieties like Thai and Birdseye next year.

Ok, so the funny thing is I probably won't eat them at all. WAY too hot for me at over 1M on the Scoville scale. I'm growing them to help the guy who created the hybrid to have more plants out there to see if the variety has reached stability (fourth generation seeds), or, if there is still variability in the plant/fruits, what that looks like. I do have a buddy who will happily take any fruit and munch away on it, though, so it'll get used. I may smoke/dry some so I can use it to ward off evil doers, though.

I'm more of a Jalapeno, Habanero, Serrano kind of guy. I've got Chilaca (Pasilla when dried), Guajillo, and Poblano (Ancho when dried) going as they are some of my favorites for cooking. I've got three varieties of Jalapeno (hot, not the wimpy, "we bred the heat out of them so everyone could eat poppers" variety), habanero, and Sugar Rush Peach (about habanero hotness) in the "garden".

I did plant a black Thai pepper, but it didn't survive. May try again. I plan to do some more "culinary" varieties like Thai and Birdseye next year.
I can make a verde salsa out of those that would compliment any taco or burrito. I think an eating salsa would be out of the question due to the heat. There’d be no survivors on an eating salsa.

Def can see smoking and drying for flavor depth. Heck a diabla shrimp would be out of this solar system good, probably.

I’m adventurous. I’d give it a shot. Just not a bite off the fruit though. That would be a death sentence.

Anne, that bit about less water when growing is great! Thank you. Now if we just got enough sun so I could actually grow anything. (Love my place, but with 80-90 foot hardwoods all around we are limited to about 3-4 max sun. No, cutting trees isn't an option -- rather have forest than be a gardner.) But with your tip, I may try containers on my upper deck if I can determine whether that location will actually get more sun.
The way to know when to water is to watch when the leaves start to wilt. Then give them half the amount of water you usually would. Repeat at the next "wilt".

Self inflicted injury is specifically excluded. I’m doomed. What in the world do you eat those with?
Make a buffalo wing/blue cheese/ONE pepper hummus. SOOOOOOO good 😁

Here's the recipe I use

So they’re almost fully dried. Going to put them in the sun to finish them up.

Will be grinding some for chili powder for kung pao, chopping some for Thai stir fry, and leaving some whole for future use.

Tasted one last night and I can attest to their heat. They’re quite atomic, in a so bad yet so good kind of way.

1654038155876.jpeg

Stir them into some steamed edamame's after you add some chili oil, sautéed garlic, and sea salt.
Gives the edamame some great flavor......just don't eat the pepper and your all good. ;)

Quick update. I used these dried bird’s eyes tonight on the grilled Thai shrimp and scallops. Only 5 peppers run through the spice grinder and the shrimps were plenty hot. I made a point to put less of the pepper dust onto the scallops, so my wife wouldn’t kill me.

The peppers hold their heat well when dried. So use them accordingly in your food prep.

You can grind them like you did, but you can also make Thai red chili paste or nam prik pao with them.
And Birmese chili sauce (which is absolutely delicious)
Or soak and use.
Lemme know if you need some recipes

Back