Spice grinder?

Yeah, salt is not a good idea. Very corrosive!
Yes to cleaning with rice.
And if you would be a coffee drinker. Buy 2.
Coffee taste in your spices is not too bad, but coriander-chile coffee has no appeal to me ;)
Except if you really want top notch coffee you buy a burr grinder not a blade grinder

Cuisinart DCG-20BKN Grinder... https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00004S9CY/?tag=tvwb-20

First one lasted 10 years. I broke it by adding too many dried shiitakes into it with stems on. The stems are like stone. I’m an idiot.

Fully endorse this model. Just got this one a few weeks back after reading every Amazon review for other grinders.

Don’t fix what’s not broken. So I did a straight replace.
Thanks for the recommendation. I just ordered one. They 50% off, right now, on Amazon. $19.95

I've been buying 4lb bulk bags of whole bean (dark roast, Italian, preferably,) from a local roaster. Zero static issues over the last 2+ years, until the last bag, when the static issue has reared it's ugly head. We're half way through it, I'm curious to see what's going to happen when we change bags in a couple of weeks.

Absolutely correct!
I got one (manual) and it does make a difference
(and as in a previous post, don't buy a burr grinder for grinding spices)
I thought you could. Not herbs but spices i.e. black pepper corns, mace, and so on

I've been buying 4lb bulk bags of whole bean (dark roast, Italian, preferably,) from a local roaster. Zero static issues over the last 2+ years, until the last bag, when the static issue has reared it's ugly head. We're half way through it, I'm curious to see what's going to happen when we change bags in a couple of weeks.
Interesting..... changed bags, and the static issue continued. Ground coffee was being spread across a 1' diameter dircle on the counter.

Sunday, I had to fire up the air compressor, so I blew out the grinder. Monday & today, no static issues at all.

Static has been my enemy. No matter what I did with the KA Coffee Grinder. "fines" flying around all over the place. Slightly wetting the beans? Nah, that grinder just laughed in my face. Clean the grinder? Still laughed in my face. This OXO grinder? No fines anywhere, and a very nice grind.

I use a little cheap hand crank burr grinder for pepper and spices. Blade grinders are beyond horrible for uniformity..or repeatability... Completely worthless. I've got hand coffee grinders that are $300 +, but you don't need that for pepper or spices....$50 is more than adequate. If you want your pepper to be fresh when you put it on briskets etc.... You need to keep it as kernels and grind it to size right before you apply it. When pre ground it loses all its volatiles and flavor... Like everything you pre-grind.

I us a hand burr grinder for coffee. I think it was 30 or 40 euro. Works a dream if you don't need to do too much.
Pestle & mortar for spices,
pepper mill or mortar for pepper corns
Big amounts go into blade coffee grinder

How about this hand-driven coffee grinder? I imagine it could be used to grind spices just as well...and, it's a Weber!

( just not that Weber! )
:D

Screenshot_20230414_222750_Chrome.jpg

I tried that, but the runout of the pentagon shaft in the Jacobs chuck bugs me. I wish Harbor Freight or someone would sell a cheaper socket like this.

This is where a 3D printer comes in handy. There's probably a model out there somewhere for this and possibly your local library offers access to a printer.

This is where a 3D printer comes in handy. There's probably a model out there somewhere for this and possibly your local library offers access to a printer.
There's this one on Thingiverse. I'm printing a bunch of stuff using black ASA filament right now...it's a very strong plastic. I'll be printing red ASA soon, too. If you want to pay for shipping, I can print one or two for you.

1681773112796.png

1681773216512.png

Back