SPG Barbecue

BruceS

TVWBB Member
Has anyone smoked ribs with just salt & pepper or salt pepper & garlic ? If so, what were the results?

I do it all the time. I put the sauce out so each person can use what they want. I have used the 3-2-1 method and high in direct and both work fine

Bruce,
I just asked that question and thought about this for the first time ever today. The reason I asked/thought about it was because I did a rack of pork and the the taste with just EVOO, salt, pepper, and crushed garlic was so freaken good last night and I wonder if ribs the same way would give the same flavor. I will be watching the responses to this post and will post any responses in the thread that I asked the simular question here.

Yes, I do it. Not every time, but quite a bit. But I use just salt and pepper. Am not a big garlic user. I go with about a 70/30 pepper/salt. And what I would say is a moderate application. It is actually very good sauceless. Really let’s the meat shine through. I am assuming you are asking about pork ribs.

Salt pepper and garlic is the main dry rub I use on beef ribs. Never tried on pork ribs, guess I’ll need to try this now...

Has anyone smoked ribs with just salt & pepper or salt pepper & garlic ? If so, what were the results?
I'm guessing you're referring to pork ribs.

For commodity/supermarket ribs you'll get good results because in the end it's still pork+salt+fire, but if you happen to get ahold of some good heritage pork a simple approach can really bring out the flavor of the meat.

Last edited:
SPG is and SPOG are BBQ staples for a reason!! Simple clean flavor profile allows the meat to shine.

Bruce, I always start SPOG. Followed by another 6-7 spices. After reading the responses to your question, I’ve become increasingly curious to see how s-n-p works out....with a little o-g also! Updates coming soon.

Challenge accepted. Salt and pepper only ribs will be my next cook.

It‘s often touted for brisket, and I’ve done that often, but we tend to go nuts with multi-ingredient rubs for pork ribs. Will be interesting to taste the results.

Challenge accepted. Salt and pepper only ribs will be my next cook.

It‘s often touted for brisket, and I’ve done that often, but we tend to go nuts with multi-ingredient rubs for pork ribs. Will be interesting to taste the results.
Give it a try. I think you will like it. If for no other reason, it is new and different. What I like is a 70/30, pepper/salt, and finish my ribs with a very light amount of sauce. I like the sauce to be just a bit on the sweeter side.

Back