Spatchcock chicken FAIL!

J. Wilson

TVWBB Fan
I don't know what happened...when I spatchcock a chicken it is 2.5 hours on the nose. Everytime. I use standard method with about 1.5-2 chimneys of KBB. Empty foiled water pan.

This is the first time I've done 2 birds on my 18.5 on the top grate though...so maybe not enough room?

At 2.5 hours the temp was about 140. Crud. Everything else is ready. What am I gonna do?? I then take WSM apart and put grate and birds directly above coals and put lid on. It's starts smoking like crazy but smells great. Probably cooked this way for 15-20 minutes.

Birds look done so I put them on the cutting board. And will check temp inside (it's dark so I can't really read temp gauge outside)...... put one cut into the bird and blood leaks out. Not pink juice but blood. On the cutting board with both birds on it. I just look at my wife. "I don't know what happened...I cooked these for almost 3 hours. But we can't eat any of it now." I was so angry with myself.

After waiting a while though the birds looked totally cooked and done. I'm a fanatic about food illness
Anybody have any ideas? They were Tyson chickens I bought from Walmart. First and last time I do that I guess.

Do measure grate temp? I ask because my dome thermometer is about useless, it can be high, it can be low and it is always off from the grate cooking temp most of the time by more than 30 degrees.

I split the breastbone on a 5.5 pound Turkey Breast last week, cooked it Spatchcock at a grate temp of 325, it was done in 1 hour and 45 minutes, pulled it at 163 and let it rest. Next time I Spatchcock a Turkey or Chicken I'm cooking it at 350, the skin wasn't quite as crispy as I would have liked it.

Do measure grate temp? I ask because my dome thermometer is about useless, it can be high, it can be low and it is always off from the grate cooking temp most of the time by more than 30 degrees.

I split the breastbone on a 5.5 pound Turkey Breast last week, cooked it Spatchcock at a grate temp of 325, it was done in 1 hour and 45 minutes, pulled it at 163 and let it rest. Next time I Spatchcock a Turkey or Chicken I'm cooking it at 350, the skin wasn't quite as crispy as I would have liked it.

No..I don't measure grate temp when doing standard method. No therm on lid and the Maverick stays in the drawer. Everything open (except door) and let if fly.

This years purchases of KBB don't seem to be near as hot. I know people have done tests and whatnot....but this is my opinion. I've seen it when grilling something....had a small issue when doing ribs...now this. Although I have never seen blood like that when doing chicken....like I said it wasn't pink juice but blood.

Spatchcock chicken is my go-to. I feel like I totally have (or did) it dialed in. Damn it smelled good too.

Last edited:
Are the coals fully lit? That helps a lot. Loose the water pan.
Get a hanging rack & you can easily do 2 birds at once.
Gotta cook to an internal temp of 180* or so on the thighs (very important).

I too have found some issues with the new KBB formula. I find that if I let them go too long in the chimney they're spent and I can't get a temp to save my life. It's like they ash over to the point that they put themselves out.

I don't know what happened...when I spatchcock a chicken it is 2.5 hours on the nose. Everytime. I use standard method with about 1.5-2 chimneys of KBB. Empty foiled water pan.

This is the first time I've done 2 birds on my 18.5 on the top grate though...so maybe not enough room?

Anybody have any ideas? They were Tyson chickens I bought from Walmart. First and last time I do that I guess.
Have you been using Tyson chickens for your previous (and presumably more successful) cooks? I'm a big believer in trying to keep things as consistent as possible when it comes to ingredients.

Have you ever tried Royal Oak briquets? It seems to be very consistent for me. Or the Kingsford Competiton seems to burn hotter than blue bags, but costs more and does not burn as long.

I always spatchcock mine at 350 and usually have the chickens done in about an hour and 30 minutes. I usually do Tyson. You may just have had a temp problem.

I don't know what happened...I cooked these for almost 3 hours. But we can't eat any of it now." I was so angry with myself
Definitely sucks. It happens, a cook gets way and it does leave you feeling bummed. You mentioned you have a long history of cooking like you did and those cooks have been great. Just get back on the horse and ride again and don't give it too much thought. Now if the next one fails, then you need to retrace your steps and figure out what you're doing differently now than previously. Sounds like to me, just have to chock that one up for bad luck and put it behind you

J. keep trying my friend! Just because this one didn't happen doesn't mean that the next one won't go off like normal.
Plus, I usually do my spatched chickens on the kettle. HH is much better for birds.

Back