Spare Rib prices

Bob Correll

R.I.P. 3/31/2022
I'm curious to know if the price for spares has dropped in other areas of the USA.
One local chain has them for $1.59/lb this week, a different local chain had them for $1.69/lb last week, and a couple of weeks before that.
In the StL area they come already St Louis cut, with the trimmed tips included.

118741_max.jpg

In the Atlanta area, I've never seen St. Louis cut spares of good quality (key words) for under $2.79/lb. Going rates in my area $2.99-$3.49/lb. Add $1 or more per lb for butcher shops - prices I quoted are Publix/Kroger and the like.

If the buck fifty-nine ribs are decent at all I'd load up everything I have in my home that can store frozen food and smoke ribs weekly for the rest of the year! :cool:

$1.59?? If they are even close to decent I would buy a bunch, trim 'em St. Louie style and grind up the rest for sausage this coming football season.

I guess a better question would be, are they going on sale like this in other areas.
The normal price around here is anywhere from $3.25 to $3.75, and usually the sale price is around $2.
These are, for the most part, very meaty, already trimmed ribs with tips included.
They have trimmed ones, without the tips included, on sale for $2.69, crazy I know.

Bob,

Great price !
Around here our local market, Stater Bros, has the following prices listed on the weekly ad flyer...
Pork Spareribs (defrosted) $ 1.99/lb (probably IBP)
Other price on that same flyer...
Farmer John Pork Butt Roast $ 1.89/lb
Trimmed Tri-Tip $ 3.99/lb
Beef Chuck Bone-in Short Rigs $ 3.99/lb
Foster Farms Grade A Chicken Leg Quarters $ 0.99/lb
Filet Mignon $ 10.99/lb

Bob,

Great price !
Around here our local market, Stater Bros, has the following prices listed on the weekly ad flyer...
Pork Spareribs (defrosted) $ 1.99/lb (probably IBP)
Other price on that same flyer...
Farmer John Pork Butt Roast $ 1.89/lb
Trimmed Tri-Tip $ 3.99/lb
Beef Chuck Bone-in Short Rigs $ 3.99/lb
Foster Farms Grade A Chicken Leg Quarters $ 0.99/lb
Filet Mignon $ 10.99/lb

Same here...I go to stater bros.

Kiss your stars and garters Bob! I gave up pricing BBs and Spares here in AZ…I've resigned myself to buying cryopacks of pork butts - trimming one for CSPRs and the other gets smoked....

I can't even get good pork steaks here for less than $2.99/lb... and they're cut so thin it's stupid!

I think anything under $1.99 for spares is a steal. I prefer spares to baby backs, but my local grocer had a deal this week for a 30lb box of Bob Evans Baby Backs for $28.99...less than a buck a pound. Needless to say, my freezer is now filled with 30lbs of baby back ribs.

They also had Prime packer briskets for $2.99 a pound, so I bought three of those as well...felt like being a contestant on Supermarket Sweep when I got to the checkout.

Back