Spaghetti squash meatball bake

CaseT

TVWBB Platinum Member
Fired up the big computer to make a post since the Iphone wont load photos right on the forum.

This recipe is tasty when made in the smoker or the bbq. We had monsoon rains the night that I made it so I did everything in the oven. There rare a few steps but it is well worth it.

Spaghetti squash and meatball bake.
Few steps but fairly simple and low Carb for those that watch that kind of thing.
1. Half a spaghetti squash. Coat with oil of choice and place on a baking sheet cut side down. I like to put parchment on the sheet. Bake in 400°f oven for 40 minutes or until tender. Allow to cool a bit then separate with a fork.
2. While the squash is baking make up meatballs. Sky’s the limit I used beef, Panko, egg, seasonings.
3. In your favorite cast iron skillet sauté a diced onion.
4. Brown all sides of your meatballs in same skillet as onions.
5. Add 1 can of drained diced tomatoes and one jar of pasta sauce. Place in 350°f oven until meatballs reach internal temps of 165°f (approx 30 minutes.
6. Mix in mozzarella, Parmesan and seasonings into the squash. Spoon in tomato and meat ball mixture into squash.
7. Top with more cheese and place into 350°f oven until everything is heated through. If you want place under broiler for a few minutes to brown cheese.
Enjoy!

51688494377_cc0cf49bda_c.jpg

51688494352_867ef641ba_c.jpg

51689283571_cc4cba5959_c.jpg

51689552268_d593c72296_c.jpg

51689283591_aae5b8c341_c.jpg

Not sure where the plated shot went to. Good stuff!

Fired up the big computer to make a post since the Iphone wont load photos right on the forum.

This recipe is tasty when made in the smoker or the bbq. We had monsoon rains the night that I made it so I did everything in the oven. There rare a few steps but it is well worth it.

Spaghetti squash and meatball bake.
Few steps but fairly simple and low Carb for those that watch that kind of thing.
1. Half a spaghetti squash. Coat with oil of choice and place on a baking sheet cut side down. I like to put parchment on the sheet. Bake in 400°f oven for 40 minutes or until tender. Allow to cool a bit then separate with a fork.
2. While the squash is baking make up meatballs. Sky’s the limit I used beef, Panko, egg, seasonings.
3. In your favorite cast iron skillet sauté a diced onion.
4. Brown all sides of your meatballs in same skillet as onions.
5. Add 1 can of drained diced tomatoes and one jar of pasta sauce. Place in 350°f oven until meatballs reach internal temps of 165°f (approx 30 minutes.
6. Mix in mozzarella, Parmesan and seasonings into the squash. Spoon in tomato and meat ball mixture into squash.
7. Top with more cheese and place into 350°f oven until everything is heated through. If you want place under broiler for a few minutes to brown cheese.
Enjoy!

51688494377_cc0cf49bda_c.jpg

51688494352_867ef641ba_c.jpg

51689283571_cc4cba5959_c.jpg

51689552268_d593c72296_c.jpg

51689283591_aae5b8c341_c.jpg

Not sure where the plated shot went to. Good stuff!
Pammi has been making spaghetti squash for us for a while, but never with meatballs or back into the shell!
Looks good!

I love Spaghetti Squash except cutting it in half. I need a bandsaw, LOL
That's an awesome cook Case, thanks for the recipe. Looks like you got posting pictures back, that's awesome news

I make this 2 times a month.....never posted because it wasn't bbq.
Had the in-law's over for dinner and made this and I swear her father said it was the best thing he has ever had.
Cleaned and cooked in halves with spice....pulled, I make a 1 hour red sauce heavy in oregano with ground beef rather than meatballs.
The squash takes close to an hour to cook.
Toasted mozza on top........
Make sure you get enough salt on it, the squash is pretty bland.
1 half of the squash is extremely filling, usually 1 squash feeds me and the wife and then there is enough left for us to both have a work lunch.
That is my go to anyways.....Filling, tasty as heck and seems fairly good on the health side of things.

I make this 2 times a month.....never posted because it wasn't bbq.
Had the in-law's over for dinner and made this and I swear her father said it was the best thing he has ever had.
Cleaned and cooked in halves with spice....pulled, I make a 1 hour red sauce heavy in oregano with ground beef rather than meatballs.
The squash takes close to an hour to cook.
Toasted mozza on top........
Make sure you get enough salt on it, the squash is pretty bland.
1 half of the squash is extremely filling, usually 1 squash feeds me and the wife and then there is enough left for us to both have a work lunch.
That is my go to anyways.....Filling, tasty as heck and seems fairly good on the health side of things.
It adapts well to bbq and the smoker. Actually adds a ton of flavor to the “bland” squash. Which honestly I never salt. Lots of other ways to spice it up and keep the sodium content low.

Smoked spaghetti squash on its own is fantastic.

I love Spaghetti Squash except cutting it in half. I need a bandsaw, LOL
That's an awesome cook Case, thanks for the recipe. Looks like you got posting pictures back, that's awesome news
I had to fire up the computer to do the post.

A little trick to help with cutting open the squash.

Take a small sharp pairing knife and poke holes in the skin along the line where you want to half the squash. You’ll end up with a dashed line all around. Microwave the squash for 5 minutes. Then slice with large knife along your line. You will need a hot pad or towel as the squash will be hot.

Case, could I grill it indirect with the cut side down on the grate or should I use a pan?
So what you’d want to do is oil the squash like you would for baking. Season, if you like. I actually like to season after shredding.

Set up indirect cooking. Run your pit around 350°, up to 400°. Place them cut side up. When they are done, flip and grill directly for 5-8 minutes to get a bit of a char.

This method works for all winter type halved squash. It’s one of my favorite ways to make butternut and acorn squash. So good!

So what you’d want to do is oil the squash like you would for baking. Season, if you like. I actually like to season after shredding.

Set up indirect cooking. Run your pit around 350°, up to 400°. Place them cut side up. When they are done, flip and grill directly for 5-8 minutes to get a bit of a char.

This method works for all winter type halved squash. It’s one of my favorite ways to make butternut and acorn squash. So good!
Thanks Case! I will be trying this. We love butternut squash too but usually just slice it half an inch thick, oil then grill it.

Should make a note on seasonings. This recipe lends itself to all kinds of flavors. This cook was along the Italian line. But you can go Mexican, Thai. Indian, etc.

I’m lew of meatballs you can just brown and crumble the meat also and mix it in with the squash.

Last edited:
Crowd pleaser, I made this last night. Neighbors asked where do you get all these different recipes you are always making. I said TVWBB and some very cool recipes from a guy named CaseT.

Thanks Case, you make me look good. 😀

Looks great, I’ve been on a health kick the last 4 months or so, I’d like to try this. I have zero experience with spaghetti squash so any advice would be great.

Crowd pleaser, I made this last night. Neighbors asked where do you get all these different recipes you are always making. I said TVWBB and some very cool recipes from a guy named CaseT.

Thanks Case, you make me look good. 😀
Thank you, that’s great!

That’s why I post these recipes. I come from a long line of weekend cooks and there’s some great meals I remember and like to share.

Looks great, I’ve been on a health kick the last 4 months or so, I’d like to try this. I have zero experience with spaghetti squash so any advice would be great.
Spaghetti squash is one of my favorites. Main reason is it’s not super sweet so it lends itself to a large variety of savory dishes.

Hardest part is cutting it in half. Which I posted a tick above.

Otherwise roast and experiment with it. It’s pretty forgiving. I like the texture better than other squash. Stringy is good for holding flavors.

Spaghetti squash is one of my favorites. Main reason is it’s not super sweet so it lends itself to a large variety of savory dishes.

Hardest part is cutting it in half. Which I posted a tick above.

Otherwise roast and experiment with it. It’s pretty forgiving. I like the texture better than other squash. Stringy is good for holding flavors.
Going to look for some to try after Thanksgiving, be a nice change of pace next weekend.

Back