Sous Vide from frozen?

Timothy F. Lewis

TVWBB 1-Star Olympian
Has anyone here done anything using the Sous vide unit from frozen?
I have a cryo packed leg of lamb that I want to cook tomorrow, just wondering if anyone has any experience doing that. It’s factory cryo, so, I can’t do much as far as marinade at this point but, I’m thinking ahead. Maybe I will repack one next time with herbs and so forth.
Please, if anyone has an opinion (or experience) going from frozen, I’m all ears!

I did tri tip from frozen at my moms house a while back. I wasn't sure how long we were going to be out, and was planning a reverse sear so I set it to 120 and it went about 3 hours. Could have gone longer.

If you have the equipment to re-seal, you could add spices, reseal and then put it in. If you are doing a low-temp sous vide it would have a chance to marinate while it thaws...

here's the tri-tip I did.

Last edited:
Many times, Tim. Depending on the size of your leg, you will have to guesstimate your total cook time, but the nice part about sous vide is you can overshoot on time a bit without any major detriment to the protein. I will typically remove things from cryovac and reseal (vacuum or zip lock), just because I don't always trust that the cryovac seal will hold.

R

Almost all my steaks are done that way. I buy in bulk, season and vac seal with 1 or 2 per bag. Then I freeze and use when the mood strikes. Straight from freezer into the hot tub.

I have a cryo packed leg of lamb that I want to cook tomorrow, just wondering if anyone has any experience doing that. It’s factory cryo, so, I can’t do much as far as marinade at this point but, I’m thinking ahead. Maybe I will repack one next time with herbs and so forth.
Please, if anyone has an opinion (or experience) going from frozen, I’m all ears!
Which unit?
Reason I ask is my Joule has a app where you add desired doneness fresh or frozen, size and obviously what cut of beef.
They give you when it will be done.
Yours might have something similar online.

I've done it. You need to add time to account for the lower starting temp. Added time depends on total weight and thickness. When I sou vide burgers from frozen, not much time needs to be added. But I messed up on chicken legs and they weren't sufficiently rendered.

Thanks folks,
I ended up pulling carpet from the staircase today so, the leg was in cold water all afternoon and is ready for normal treatment at this point.
The “season and re pack” makes so much sense to me! I will play in that pool next time I get a deal on a leg or whatever!
this one will go old school marinade.
After today, my hands feel rather like wood so, trimming and prepping the leg in the morning I will get that under marinade. As of now, undecided.
I very much appreciate the information regarding Sous Vide procedure from frozen. I will season in advance next go round!

Back