Sopa de Pava Albondigas

CaseT

TVWBB Platinum Member
AFE4B824-6F7B-4D4B-B254-88008B516DD2.jpegAka Turkey meatball soup
Served with blue corn tortillas

Late fall early winter has set in and so has cold weather comfort foods. I’ve been wanting Albondigas for a while so decided to make up a batch.

This go I decided to use ground turkey for the meat balls. There’s two methods you can use for cooking the meat balls. One method is to brown them first then add to the soup. The second method is to drop them into the soup to fully cook. This time I went with the second method. I wish I’d browned them first. I think the texture is better. If you do brown them first do it in the Dutch oven prior to sautéing your veggies.

What you’ll need:

For meat balls:
1 pound ground meat of choice (turkey was used for this)
2 tablespoons homemade taco seasoning
1 large egg
1 small can diced hatch or green chili’s
1/2-1 1/2 cups Panko or fine bread crumbs
(Optional 1 cup cooked rice)

For soup base

1 diced onion
2 carrots sliced
3 celery ribs sliced
1 bell pepper diced
2 zucchini quartered and sliced
1-2 tablespoons neutral oil
2 jalapeños seeded and sliced or diced
2 cans diced tomatoes
1 tablespoon tomato paste
1 tablespoon sugar
4 tablespoon homemade taco seasoning
Salt & pepper to taste
6 cups chicken stock ( we make our own of using store bought we like to use low sodium)

Homemade taco seasoning:

I usually quadruple this so I have it on hand as needed. This is enough for 1 pound of meat.

1 Tbsp. Chili Powder
1/4 tsp. Garlic Powder
1/4 tsp. Onion Powder
1/4 tsp. Crushed Red Pepper Flakes
1/4 tsp. Dried Oregano
1/2 tsp. Paprika
1 1/2 tsp. Ground Cumin
1 tsp. Sea Salt
1 tsp. Black Pepper (optional)

Directions:

Mix the ingredients for the meat balls up to 8 hours in advance. You do want the meat mixture to rest prior at least 2 hours before cooking.

There are two schools of cooking the meatballs for both methods I just pinch off golf ball sized pieces and either into the pot to brown or into the soup to cook.

1. Prep your Dutch oven to sauté the veggies. Heat your Dutch oven over medium heat add you oil of choice. Add onion, celery, carrot, bell
Pepper and jalapeños. Season with salt, pepper. Allow to cook until onion is soft and translucent. Add taco seasoning and cook for 1-2 minutes.

If you are going to brown your meatballs remove the veggies from the Dutch oven. Heat a bit more oil. Pinch off golf ball sized meat balls and drop into Dutch oven and brown. Remove browned meat balls from Dutch oven. If you plan to cook the meat balls

2. Add in your stock to the sautéed veggies

(If you browned the meat balls scrape the bottom to get the bits off. Add sautéed veggies back in)

Add canned tomatoes, tomato paste, salt pepper. Simmer for 1-2 hours. That’s and adjust seasoning to taste.

30 minutes prior to serving turn heat up and add browned or raw meatballs. Reduce heat and simmer 30 minutes.

15 minutes prior to serving add zucchini and sugar.

Serve with tortillas, sour cream, avocado, olives garnish with fresh cilantro leafs.

Last edited:
That looks excellent, Case! We are having an Oct heat wave (80's yesterday), but soup weather is around the corner......

Case, do you mean "pinch a golf ball size"? lol

Beautiful, beautiful job. You have made me soo happy!!!!!! Thank you!!!!!!

DH wants to make these tomorrow night and we are in hot Florida. lol

Case, do you mean "pinch a golf ball size"? lol

Beautiful, beautiful job. You have made me soo happy!!!!!! Thank you!!!!!!

DH wants to make these tomorrow night and we are in hot Florida. lol
Yep. thats what I get for typing out that long thing on my phone.

Looks delicious Case. I've been cruising the net the past few weeks looking for soup, stews and casserole recipes. I got a boat load of them and will be doing a lot of those this winter.
Thanks for sharing the recipe I copied it and added it to the must do list.

Back