Soon to be new owner

DanJ CT

TVWBB Member
I’ve been all over the place in smoker shopping. For a while I was hell bent on the ease of a pellet, or the Kamado s, but I think I’ve decided to pull the trigger on a WSM. I’ve been using my 22 Kettle and PK Original for all of my outdoor needs, but I want a little more. Most smokes are done on the PK, just because I love the temp control on the thick cast aluminum, but there are serious size limitations.
I adore my green kettle, $25 estate sale find that replaced my 15 year old Kettle that had given up after years of New England weather, plus a few years at the in-laws beach cottage.
I’m really leaning towards the 22, just because it seems like I’ll never need anything bigger, but will it be too big? How is the temp control? I’ll occasionally do turkeys, briskets, but most cooks will be chickens, butts and little for just a handful of people. I’ve seen some videos of smaller briskets on the 18 WSM, but it seems tight, and a hassle.
Anyway, hello all, happy to be here, can’t wait to start getting some bbq smell in the neighborhood.

Welcome! I only have experience (20 years' worth) on an 18, so I can't tell you anything about a 22. But it sounds like an 18 would easily handle most of what you plan to cook. I have done 4 beer can chickens at once on the bottom rack. I have also cooked turkeys. Whole racks of spare ribs are a bit long to fit easily, but you can cut them in half, use rib racks, or hang them vertically. You could probably hang a fairly large brisket vertically. Whichever size you choose, I think you'll love the WSM.

Bought my first dedicated smoker in October, a 22 WSM, after getting sick of the constraints of using my kettle for ribs and butts. I wanted something to master brisket, lay at least 3 racks ribs flat, and cook for a large group if needed. I’m not sure about the fuel efficiency differences, but a little over 3/4 of a 20 pound bag of kingsford burned for 13 hours yesterday at 250-270 and could’ve kept going. Learning I just need to cook enough food to make $10-$15 of fuel worth it (two butts vs one for example). Usually cooking for 2-4 people, but love to have plenty of leftovers for easy meals for the next few days and stocking the freezer. Get the 22, you won’t regret it!

I have a 18” and 22” wsm and find that I used the 18” one way more than the 22” due to 1)charcoal efficiency and 2)space needed in the smoker. The 18” model is so much more efficient in amount of charcoal needed (with a smaller cook space to heat up. There is plenty of space in the 18” to smoke any cut and type of meat.some forum members say the same about the 14” model. If I were buy a new wsm I would get the 18” model. Either way you can’t go wrong and will own a great smoker.

That’s a worry, too big. I usually cook for 2, but the leftovers are lunches, and a few repurposed dinners. Just about anything cooked on Sunday is a decent taco on Monday lol. But, when I need it, I want the ability to go big. A lot of the small stuff, I can still do on the PK, I’m getting that dialed in nicely now that I’ve discovered the B&B products are available at the local ACE if I order ahead.

I’m very happy with the 18” that I've got, it’s big enough for the occasional larger party when I use it in conjunction with my various kettles as needed. I had a 22 and it was just a lot more than I had real use for. I don’t need to do four butts and ribs and brisket all at once, I don’t like enough people to have that number around! My typical feast size anymore is maybe ten. Once or twice a year maybe thirty but, I can’t justify feeding the gaping maw of the 22 for a six or eight passenger dinner.

That’s a worry, too big. I usually cook for 2, but the leftovers are lunches, and a few repurposed dinners. Just about anything cooked on Sunday is a decent taco on Monday lol. But, when I need it, I want the ability to go big. A lot of the small stuff, I can still do on the PK, I’m getting that dialed in nicely now that I’ve discovered the B&B products are available at the local ACE if I order ahead.
Buying both 18” and 22” may be the answer😄!

Id love to have room to lay ribs flat.

But I think the answer to that for me is probably a UDS, not a bigger wsm. My 18 does everything else fine. A 22 would be ridiculous just for ribs....when have an 18 already

Quite a few ribs can be cooked in rack or hanging.....but the process of wrapping is just 10x easier if can lay flat simply.....and glazing can only be done well laying flat

Last edited:
As funny as a it sounds, I day dream about the next time I’ll get to use my 18.5 WSM. I love this thing. I really enjoy how simplistic it is to load it with charcoal and some wood chunks and just let it do it’s thing.

I kind of compare the WSM to smoking a tobacco pipe (and I don’t smoke a pipe.) It’s more of a ritual that you just take your time and enjoy, learning along the way. While I certainly admire some of the mods and updates many of the members have come up with- I see my self as more of a stock WSM user, with the main exception being a upgraded door. I’ve only owned my WSM for less than a month, but I cannot wait for a spring evening smoke, while sitting on my deck, cold beverage of some kind in hand, with absolutely nowhere to be. (While all the neighbours wonder where that amazing, delicious smell is coming from of course.)

PS- I have a family of 4 and the 18.5 is perfect for us. Enjoy!!

Quite a few ribs can be cooked in rack or hanging.....but the process of wrapping is just 10x easier if can lay flat simply.....and glazing can only be done well laying flat

The reason to get the 22 over the 18 is ribs. The 22 let's you do 6 slabs of ribs laid out flat. Ribs on the 18 require some kind of workaround (rib racks, rolling, cutting, hanging).

Unless catering huge parties, few folks would ever need more capacity than the 18 -- two briskets, 6 pork butts.

Nice kettle! I have a green one, but mine has a black ash catcher; I bought it "new" for $75 from one of those damaged freight places, and I suspect the ash catcher may have come out of a different box. Even if it is a Frankenweber it is a handsome creature. 😁
The green kettle was a $25 estate sale grab. A 2008 model that looked like it was used once lol. If it wasn’t chipped on the lid, it would be perfect

I have all 3 sizes so I'll lend my observations. I started with an 18 probably some time in the late 90s or early 2000s, then bought a 22 when it came out. I do pretty much everything on the 22, but mainly just because of all the aftermarket parts I've put on it and the 18 is about worn out. Stainless door and racks, lid hinge, wheels etc. The most used item I bought was a stainless meat hanger rack and I highly suggest getting one. I've done 12 racks of ribs at once and cooked 36 total in one stretch. I've never felt that the 22 was too large and I've maxed it out several times. This is even with the stacker and a 3rd rack. I also occasionally do 30lbs of chicken thighs/legs, but grease fires are a real problem. I've found with the 22 you can actually have so much meat that getting up to temp and holding there is a problem. I've all but quit using the stacker because of this, and I'm even using the silicone cover. With the 22 I see no reason to also get the 18. The opposite is also true if you have the 18 and don't foresee maxing it out. I would spend the extra money on 1/4in thick stainless racks, rib hanger rack, stainless door, wheels and the 14 WSM. Those racks alone are worth having just one size and they will outlast the smoker. I'm still playing with the 14 as this will be what I take on vacations due to the size.

Go look at them in the store. The 22 is WAY bigger than an 18. If you have to move it (e.g., from shed to patio), that matters. And it sounds like an 18 can easily handle your planned cooks. I have smoked many 15+ lb. briskets on the 18 with no issue. Two pork butts fit easily on each rack, and I once did 4 at a time. As noted, the 22 is superior if you want to smoke racks of ribs without cutting, racks, etc.

My neighbor cooks mainly for 2 people, but he just had to get the bigger 22. He finally admitted that it's too big and burns too much charcoal, so he seldom uses it.

As funny as a it sounds, I day dream about the next time I’ll get to use my 18.5 WSM. I love this thing. I really enjoy how simplistic it is to load it with charcoal and some wood chunks and just let it do it’s thing.

I kind of compare the WSM to smoking a tobacco pipe (and I don’t smoke a pipe.) It’s more of a ritual that you just take your time and enjoy, learning along the way. While I certainly admire some of the mods and updates many of the members have come up with- I see my self as more of a stock WSM user, with the main exception being a upgraded door. I’ve only owned my WSM for less than a month, but I cannot wait for a spring evening smoke, while sitting on my deck, cold beverage of some kind in hand, with absolutely nowhere to be. (While all the neighbours wonder where that amazing, delicious smell is coming from of course.)

PS- I have a family of 4 and the 18.5 is perfect for us. Enjoy!!
I love my cajun bandit door. I put it on my 22" WSM with lava lock gasket, and it's my favorite mod. I don't like the stock WSM doors at all, they feel flimsy, and it sort of feels like they're going to break or warp or get otherwise damaged at any point... I know lots of people use the stock doors, and I know they are OK, I have two good buddies that use em'.

Back