Something Sweet for # 1,000

Cliff Bartlett

R.I.P. 5/17/2021
I've been thinking for days as to what to post for number 1,000. A while back, my wife spotted a Rhubarb Upside-Down cake that she said looked good to her. I took a break yesterday to relax and watch a little of the Giants and later do some long, overdo grilling. I made some stuffed bell peppers and a nice charred carrot salad to go along with it. I'm splitting this cook into two posts and will do the Rhubarb Cake first, as it was a special treat for my wife and appropriately should be my 1,000th post. I'll do the second part of the cook in another post either tonight or tomorrow morning. Here we go with Rhubarb Upside-Down cake cooked on my 14 1/2 inch WSM.

Picked up some nice rhubarb at Safeway a couple of days ago.

Got the rhubarb all chopped and ready to go. Resting in the sugars and a little lemon zest.

Got it in my 9 inch cake pan, ready for the cake mix.

Got the batter on the rhubarb and waiting for WSM to get up to a solid 350.

The cake is on the WSM.

After 35 minutes it is done and ready for a rest.

Resting nicely.

Waited about two hours for everything to set and did the flip out of the pan. All done! Happy # 1000!

Well, that's it for the dessert! Second post to follow, probably tomorrow, of the entire cook. Once again, thank you all for looking.

Last edited:
Happy 1000 Cliff. Love rhubarb in any form. I'll have to do that cake. Just harvested a batch of rhubarb for a strawberry rhubarb cobbler myself.

That looks great! Congrats on 1000 posts. You guys with 1000 plus inspire us newer members.

I've been toying with a place in Redding or Redbluff, with food like that in Redding, it just got a big ol' push to the top of the list

That is one heck of a fine looking cake Cliff!!! You better start thinking now on how your gonna top this when ya hit 2000 posts!!

Terrific bake/cook Cliff!
Makes me really miss the strawberry rhubarb pies that my late mother in law made.

Back