Some Beans and Rice with Wings and Legs

Michael Richards

TVWBB Emerald Member
My daughter loves (like could live off of) simple rice dishes and we get this amazing simple beans and rice dish from the amazing local Jamaican Jerk Chicken Stand. She and my wife have been asking me to try to make it. So tonight I went to for my first attempt to start to try to recreate it.
IMG_20210731_155329459.jpg

Also prepped some wings and legs to go on the kettle with the vortex.
IMG_20210731_162158303.jpg

Also did some boiled then oven fried potatoes.
IMG_20210731_163832400.jpg

Wings and legs done.IMG_20210731_174452707.jpg
IMG_20210731_174822408_HDR.jpg

Beans and Rice done.
IMG_20210731_175049375.jpg

And plated.
IMG_20210731_175440108.jpg

The rice was a hit! Wife doesn't want the recipe changed at all, my daughter and I think it needs white rice over the brown we used tonight and I don't think I will use organo next time. But it was a good first attempt!

You're quite an inspiration; great work! Do you do your rice via stovetop, or do you have a dedicated rice cooker?

I think my Son would be content living on rice and eggs.

Do you do your rice via stovetop, or do you have a dedicated rice cooker?
Right on the stove top, I have never used a rice cooker. None of the Latina families from my soccer team that taught me how to cook rice use one so I have never even thought about using one.

Last edited:
I am a big fan of rice dishes myself. Yours looks killer. Would really like to have your recipe if your of mind. Thank you.

I am a big fan of rice dishes myself. Yours looks killer. Would really like to have your recipe if your of mind. Thank you.
IMG_20210731_155329459.jpg

So using this picture (and the pot on the stove just out of frame) as a guide I started with the following:

1 Tablespoon Bacon Grease
1 Tablespoon EVOO
1/2 Onion
1/2 Bell Pepper (I had orange so I used it)
3 Cloves Garlic
2 cups Rice
2 cups Water
2 cups Chicken Broth
1 teaspoon Paprika
1/2 teaspoon Organo
1/2 teaspoon Salt
1/2 teaspoon Pepper
A pinch of Cummin
2 Tablespoons Tomato Paste
1 cup beans (your choice) strained

Started with the bacon grease and oil added onion/pepper/garlic that all got run through the grader (I love doing this especially with the pepper, because I can get the flesh without the skin). Sauted for a few minutes, then added rice, after a few minutes added the seasoning, another minute or two added the liquids, the tomato paste, and beans. Got it mixed together and let it cook until done.

It was a mild dish, the brown rice was almost overpowering, I used light red kidney beans in it, if it were up to me I would go black beans. The Organo was also strong in the dish. I will go white rice next time, again it it were for me and not wife and daughter I would go Jasmine or Basmati over white. They both eat the leftovers for lunch today and told me I need to make another batch for them to have through the week for lunches so they truly did like it.

View attachment 33937

So using this picture (and the pot on the stove just out of frame) as a guide I started with the following:

1 Tablespoon Bacon Grease
1 Tablespoon EVOO
1/2 Onion
1/2 Bell Pepper (I had orange so I used it)
3 Cloves Garlic
2 cups Rice
2 cups Water
2 cups Chicken Broth
1 teaspoon Paprika
1/2 teaspoon Organo
1/2 teaspoon Salt
1/2 teaspoon Pepper
A pinch of Cummin
2 Tablespoons Tomato Paste
1 cup beans (your choice) strained

Started with the bacon grease and oil added onion/pepper/garlic that all got run through the grader (I love doing this especially with the pepper, because I can get the flesh without the skin). Sauted for a few minutes, then added rice, after a few minutes added the seasoning, another minute or two added the liquids, the tomato paste, and beans. Got it mixed together and let it cook until done.

It was a mild dish, the brown rice was almost overpowering, I used light red kidney beans in it, if it were up to me I would go black beans. The Organo was also strong in the dish. I will go white rice next time, again it it were for me and not wife and daughter I would go Jasmine or Basmati over white. They both eat the leftovers for lunch today and told me I need to make another batch for them to have through the week for lunches so they truly did like it.
Thank you, gonna give it a shot this week

Everything looks delicious. I am also a fan of beans and rice, and the chicken and potatoes look outstanding, too!

Back