So what's cooking for Easter dinner?

Jim, you know you have an open invitation to my house! Don't forget to bring some homebrew.
icon_smile.gif

The Missus has been doing a lot of really good cooking lately and suggested a rib roast. Don't know if I should suggest smoking it so she would have the oven free for other stuff or not.
icon_confused.gif

Nothing. Going to one of the niece's for dinner. I have made a gallon jar of pickled eggs and beets to take + a quart of just pickled beets. I do use fresh beets.
Have about 10 lb. of pork belly curing for bacon that I will smoke Sunday morning. 8 lb. been curing conventionally and 2 lb. for an experiment,from the Chacuterie thread, in a pineapple juice, blue agave syrup, soy sauce (forgot to buy pink or sea salt and when I put this in to cure around midnight last night, I did not feel like running back to a store), ground ginger, and fresh cracked black pepper. I actually think this will turn out good.

The only thing I'm planning on making is some pig candy (will be my first time making it). My sister is making a ham at her house. We're going over there and bringing deviled eggs and pig candy for an app (if it turns out good
icon_wink.gif
). I think someone is bringing hashbrown casserole, rolls, and a salad or two.

I'm doing 3 racks of baby backs currently.

Going to my parents tomorrow for Dinner. We'll have turkey, ham and all the fixin's. Almost all holiday's in our family are like Thanksgiving.

I'm going to try a 1/2 leg of lamb on the smoker for the 1st time. Using the Honey, Mustard, Garlic & Rosemary Marinated recipe posted in the Cooking Topics section.

Can't wait!

I have a ham in a foil pan with crushed pineapple, brown sugar, onions and garlic on the smoker. Just adding a little flavor.

I'm making Alton Brown's onion soup recipe and will add the last of last year's green beans to it. Mom's making potato salad and we'll take it to my boy's house tomorrow afternoon.

Happy Easter, everyone!

Smoking 3 racks of lamb with my homemade rub, enhanced with a little rosemary over cherry wood. Seems apropos for Easter and all.

Probably the best thing I'll make all year.
icon_smile.gif

Spares, chicken breast for the sister-in-law who won't eat real meat, and burnt ends, and, I am naked.

I'm getting ready to put a 10lb turkey on the performer. I'm thinking 2.5 hours @ 300...does that sound about right? I've never done a turkey on the BBQ before, so any advice would be appreciated.

I’m doing an 18-lb standing rib roast, two London broils, and a spiral ham. It’s not only Easter here but we're having a birthday party too. The rib roast and ham are being cooked on the WSM and the steaks on the grill. We like meat. Thanks for asking.

Smoking chicken thighs and legs on WSM 18.5.
Bottom rack legs n thighs w/ Webers KC rub, top rack pulled skin off thighs and wrapped in bacon plus legs all rolled in chicken/poultry rub. Been on 2 hours now and seem done.

Had a couple friends over,and was busy yesterday,so I bought a spiral ham this morning and heated it up on the WSM. While that was heating,I loaded up some plastic eggs with jelly beans for the Easter Grumps to hide for my god son to find. He had a blast!

apple wood smoked turkey breasts with brussel sprouts, green beans and rosemary potatoes

i added a stainless dog bowl the size of my charcoal bucket to act as a diffuser for the first time. The turkey came out lighter in color. The rub I made is primarily salt, pepper and garlic with a touch of cumin, coriander, thyme and basil.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Made my own glazed "hammonster/city ham" referencing posts from Beisinger and Kevin Kruger. Started with a 22lb skin on whole fresh ham Friday before last. That was a solid 10 hour cook on the WSM at 240 deg on Saturday.

Great success. Very happy. Guests loved it. One adjustment would be I would pull it at maybe 150 instead of 157 degree on the first cook (warmed up with additional glaze on Sunday). That's just my observation, wasn't dried out or anything. Just that I usually pull pork earlier. Interested in if I would see a difference.

Crashed potatoes, roasted carrots that were then served glazed. Roasted asparagus. Mandarin orange salad. Home made pies.

Victory Beer (Golden Monkey and Rancher-x) from the growlers, purchased at "the source" on Thursday. And some good wine was on hand.

Good day.

Rib roasts were on sale in our areas. I picked up a 4.71 lb roast, slathered it with herb paste and put it on the WSM with some apple and wild cherry wood. My wife made some mashed potatoes and asparagus. She said it was the best rib roast I've ever made. My 2 1/2 year old daughter is not real fond of beef, but she ate a lot of the roast. I guess she just like the expensive stuff.

Back