So many KitchenAid Mixer Models

GrantT

TVWBB Pro
Been debating on replacing my 30+ year old Braun stand mixer/blender as it is starting to "smoke" on heavier batches of dough etc.

Keep looking at KitchenAid stand mixers, but get confused every time we look - so many sizes and models, yet all seem so close as well. 4.5 vs 5 quart? Tilt vs lift? Personally, don't really care about $100 + or -, but would rather get the most powerful / flexible / reliable model. Do not care about colors. I see some models use different (DC) motors (which I think are superior and would be desireable) but they are not always clearly identified that way. So, if you had to go buy one today...which one would you get.? Also, any "hidden" concerns with the different sizes etc? i.e. are accessories more available for the 4.5, or 5 etc? I read somewhere that some bowl sizes make accessories not applicable.

Last edited:
+1 on Mr. Michaels weighing in, I would certainly consider him an expert for the KA mixers.

For what it's worth, my current KA mixer is the Costco bundle special or whatever they call it. It's a 6 quart, lift bowl. Pro model?? I think, which means something, but it's not something I would use in a professional environment probably. I think mine is probably considered middle-of-the-road; not the worst, and not the best.

I've had mine for about 10 years or so with on and-off use. Always does a great job, with bread dough, cookie dough, shredding chicken, etc. No issues at all.

Grant, a little background. But first the biggest choice you need to make when deciding on a KitchenAid is tilt head or lift bowl design. People who bake but don't do heavy doughs and such seem to prefer tilt head. Example: Not long ago I had to do a rebuild for a commercial cookie operation. It was all they did. Cookie batters and doughs are lightweight and require frequent stops to scrape down the bowl. While I was rebuilding the machine, I loaned them a 6qt lift bowl. They hated it. Why? Because it was a little more difficult to scrape the bowl down. However, when it comes to heavier doughs. while a tilt head "can" do them they are not nearly as efficient or as strong at doing them. Main reason(s). Tilt head uses a screw lock on the bowl. Heavy doughs (bread, pizza, bagel, etc) can unseat the bowl and even damage the locking mechanism on both the bowl (base) and in the head of the machine. Reason is once the bowl is "locked" on the lift design "it's LOCKED" on 3 points all solidly anchored to the frame of the machine. Also they can use a more efficient dough hook. Most lift bowl machines use a spiral hook while using a spiral on a tilt head would tear the machine apart.
The motor thing also is confusing. ALL KA mixers use a DC motor. The reason is that going WAY back when Hobart first introduced the brand and rural America was being "electrified" they had to come up with a design that could work on DC or AC. Nowadays that is not necessary and none of the machines will run on DC supply. BUT, the motors are all DC motors. Where the differences lie is on some, they use a series wound universal motor and others use a permanent magnet motor.
Re sizes. Don't pay too much attention there especially in tilt head. 5qt is about the largest conceivable you can do. Again due to the locking limitation. Most everything else is simply there for them to hit various price points for different outlets.
You are more than welcome to respond if you want more in depth. You will see/hear things like YouTube pundits going on about how the "new ones" are made in China and use plastic. Please don't believe that nonsense. All but the baby ones are still built in Troy Ohio and still even nearly all internal parts as well are made in USA.
I could go into far more depth for you but, not knowing your own needs it would help to know what you want it to do

Been debating on replacing my 30+ year old Braun stand mixer/blender as it is starting to "smoke" on heavier batches of dough etc.

Keep looking at KitchenAid stand mixers, but get confused every time we look - so many sizes and models, yet all seem so close as well. 4.5 vs 5 quart? Tilt vs lift? Personally, don't really care about $100 + or -, but would rather get the most powerful / flexible / reliable model. Do not care about colors. I see some models use different (DC) motors (which I think are superior and would be desireable) but they are not always clearly identified that way. So, if you had to go buy one today...which one would you get.? Also, any "hidden" concerns with the different sizes etc? i.e. are accessories more available for the 4.5, or 5 etc? I read somewhere that some bowl sizes make accessories not applicable.
I sold my consumer grade lift bowl 5qt mixer and bought a Commercial DC motor with 8qt lift bowl mixer. Absolutely love it. It’s a beast and makes child’s play of kneading doughs and it’s ridiculously quiet.

Signup for emails at kitchenaid and they run sales on these.

I purchased a Revolution by Wondermix after repairing my Kitchenaid 3X. This machine is so strong that I mix enough flour for 6 loaves at a time. Very similar to the Bosch but cheaper. Worth looking into.
Cheers
Ken

I would heed Larry’s advice, he’s had more of them apart than anyone else I have ever known. Given his strong feelings on most subjects, I’d go with one that is bigger than you “think” you need simply based on the concept of having the extra power and capacity and only using 75% of the capacity is easier on the machine than getting a smaller unit and trying to get 102% out of it even now and then.
Now, that’s just my mind set on the having it for the long run, just my opinion.

I agree with others that if you want heavy duty, get as big is you can.

I've had a KSM150 (tilt head) for years and I'm satisfied with it, however it is a light duty mixer.

When I make my quick rise pizza dough: 3 cups of flour, 8 oz water and 2 oz cup of olive oil, the KSM150 does OK yet I think this is amount is near the limit edit: for kneading dough without over taxing it.

@Brett-EDH listed a good comparison of models in the post below:

Last edited:
I agree with others that if you want heavy duty, get as big is you can.

I've had a KSM150 for years and I'm satisfied with it, however it is a light duty mixer.

When I make my quick rise pizza dough: 3 cups of flour, 8 oz water and 2 oz cup of olive oil, the KSM150 does OK yet I think this is amount is near the limit for the mixer without over taxing it.

@Brett-EDH listed a good comparison of models in the post below:

I have a 7 quart lift mixer and an old (25 years +). Now that I only make a loaf of bread per week, I have been making my dough in the old KSM90 tilt mixer.

I have also been experimenting with dough making in a Cuisinart food processor with really good results.

i whipped up these brioche nuns with ease this past weekend. did the rise in the 8qt bowl. simple, easy and efficient. i think i turned out 18 burger rolls when done.

planning on some pizza doughs this weekend which really stresses the consumer level motors when making 1kg of dough plus ingredients (around 1700g of total product).

I have a 7 quart lift mixer and an old (25 years +). Now that I only make a loaf of bread per week, I have been making my dough in the old KSM90 tilt mixer.

I have also been experimenting with dough making in a Cuisinart food processor with really good results.
With my “Sugar” issues and it only being the two of us if I bake bread, two loaves from the Cuisinart works well for me. I am envious of you who share such tempting pictures of fresh bread and BUNS! I love to see it but, I hate you for being so prolific!
Hate might be a bit over the top but, jealous for sure!
The Cuisinart can manage two loaves and I try to send a loaf with the kids when they come. Yep, freezer is getting close to ”Tie it shut” status!

So I took a totally left turn on our decision for a mixer...we went with a new food processor instead!! Yeah, go figure... Will probably supplement with a new hand mixer perhaps, but we'll see...

When we went over out list of main recipes we make and did some research on alternative methods, we kept running into search results like "Using a food processor to make pizza dough...", and "Use your food processor to make cookie dough...". Also, our current food processor is just a little guy and seen better days and I have always wanted a larger one (and I use it to make pasta dough all the time).

So, when I started checking out models, we found a sale that was on its last day for the KitchenAid 13 cup food processor and picked one up....

Have already made some Chicago style dough, a Pecan Streusel Cake, and a quick rise pizza dough...all worked amazingly well. (No, not eating any of it...giving it all to our son who has a little get-together coming up this weekend). Big batch of cookie dough tomorrow too. Got a whole list of things to test out...mayonnaise, numerous sauces, pie pastry, various dips and sauces...list goes on.

Involves some procedural changes for some recipes, but very instinctual once you get the gist...

I use my Cuisinart for cookies all the time! It works very well for that, it takes a few batches to get used to it. The most important tip I can give is add the flour (dry ingredients like soda, baking powder and salt) all at once and top with any nuts then, just mix until the flour is incorporated. PM me if you have any questions about how overmixing will render very tough cookies! Overprocessing happens in the blink of an eye!
2 loaves is as much as I’d do with bread. A dishwasher makes short work of the cleanup, I have 2 bowls, there are times when it comes in very very handy!

Last edited:
We've tried using food processor vs the KitchenAid Commercial. Yeah the food processor "works" (sort of). But doesn't hold a candle to the functionality of the mixer. Again though we have the "big gun" Commercial. But we didn't always. We did have the Professional 600 6qt previously. And I have to say that too beat the food processor. Now again, we've not owned a small tilt head for quite a number of years and cannot make a comment one way or another referencing comparison to that and a food processor

We've tried using food processor vs the KitchenAid Commercial. Yeah the food processor "works" (sort of). But doesn't hold a candle to the functionality of the mixer. Again though we have the "big gun" Commercial. But we didn't always. We did have the Professional 600 6qt previously. And I have to say that too beat the food processor. Now again, we've not owned a small tilt head for quite a number of years and cannot make a comment one way or another referencing comparison to that and a food processor
The real point is they do “Different projects” very well, I have a tilt head KA (it needs to come for a “Tuning and adjusting” BTW) I would never try to do the things that the one does at its best. I don’t bake a lot of bread, “Softer” pastries are very well suited for the action of the processor, when making bread dough (in greater quantities than I require) the stand mixer provides the torque required for that. Cookies, pie crusts, gougere, just work so well in the Cuisinart I can’t see using the KA for them. I will never be without BOTH units, they compliment each other. One is not flat better than the other. Better tool for specific task!IMG_0668.jpeg

Definitely. There are things the FP does better or as well. Especially when dealing with simple light batters and such. Something my wife does not do all that often. We're more inclined to do bread dough, pasta dough or pizza dough. I've tried doing pasta dough in the processor like I see the TV chefs do. IDK I get very mixed results and always end up resorting to the mixer for it's better kneading action and more deft handling of the doughs

Definitely. There are things the FP does better or as well. Especially when dealing with simple light batters and such. Something my wife does not do all that often. We're more inclined to do bread dough, pasta dough or pizza dough. I've tried doing pasta dough in the processor like I see the TV chefs do. IDK I get very mixed results and always end up resorting to the mixer for it's better kneading action and more deft handling of the doughs
It’s what you’re used to for those italian dough products, softer things are better suited to the FP. It’s all about familiarity with the equipment, use one more than the other, it becomes the favorite. For me smaller quantities and lighter batters the processor works great.

It’s what you’re used to for those italian dough products, softer things are better suited to the FP. It’s all about familiarity with the equipment, use one more than the other, it becomes the favorite. For me smaller quantities and lighter batters the processor works great.
The other thing she resorts to on lighter jobs is the higher power KA hand mixers. I found a REALLY good deal on the higher powered 9 speed professional which even has dough hooks to do lighter batches of dough. We've never tried it. Then not long after I stumbled onto one of the high powered 7 speed ones. Same power as the 9 speed but just 2 less speeds for $8. https://www.kitchenaid.com/countert...products/p.7-speed-hand-mixer.khm7210ob.html? Brand new but inoperative. I figured for $8 worth a chance. Took it apart one lead not connected to the motor. Perfect!
Got the 9 speed also literally unused out of an estate sale. Never even looked like the cord was unwrapped for $20 IIRC. https://www.kitchenaid.com/countert...products/p.9-speed-hand-mixer.khm9212ca.html?

Costco does have the KA 6qt lift bowl mixer on sale now for $100 off. The sale lasts until this Sun. I don't know if it's the professional model. I'm going there on Fri so will check it out.

Costco does have the KA 6qt lift bowl mixer on sale now for $100 off. The sale lasts until this Sun. I don't know if it's the professional model. I'm going there on Fri so will check it out.
The word "Professional" is very over used and over rated. It's a good mixer for the home user. It's called the Professional 600. With the mods I do to them they become even better. But out of the box for a few years they're excellent (if not very noisy). I am building one right now for one of my friends. It will have new gears, better lube, and mods from my Machinist buddy to help make it bulletproof. And if in fact it's $100 off (making it $300) it's a total steal. I'd recommend it all day long

Back