So I drove an electric car

Well, as for the chime and all the other sounds...I think you will learn to tune them out, just like you learn to tune out the wife. :D It's a new car, give it time, you'll get used to all the new noises and other safety features. Remember how annoying the seatbelt chimes were when they first came out?
Well they didn't annoy me because I used mine. I was in a really bad wreck 50 years ago and did not realize how much damage was done to my neck. I wasn't wearing a belt then. (didn't have the warnings on that car). Had no clue how much a person could get thrown around the inside of a car, in a rear ender. Needless to say, tomorrow I am going to a new therapist to get further eval on what happened. So, I ALWAYS wore my belt and harness after that. So no the warnings didn't bother me.
Honestly the warnings aren't bothering at all in the BZ. All that's happened a couple times is it's caught me (stupidly) taking my eyes off the road to find something on the instrument panel I wasn't familiar with a couple times. So yeah it caught me. But didn't annoy me in the least. Actually "reminded me".
Honestly I realize how much I'm liking the car. Unlike that I likely will not enjoy trying to snake 6ga Romex in my basement out to the garage. Fun, fun, fun :D

Well they didn't annoy me because I used mine. I was in a really bad wreck 50 years ago and did not realize how much damage was done to my neck. I wasn't wearing a belt then. (didn't have the warnings on that car). Had no clue how much a person could get thrown around the inside of a car, in a rear ender. Needless to say, tomorrow I am going to a new therapist to get further eval on what happened. So, I ALWAYS wore my belt and harness after that. So no the warnings didn't bother me.
Honestly the warnings aren't bothering at all in the BZ. All that's happened a couple times is it's caught me (stupidly) taking my eyes off the road to find something on the instrument panel I wasn't familiar with a couple times. So yeah it caught me. But didn't annoy me in the least. Actually "reminded me".
Honestly I realize how much I'm liking the car. Unlike that I likely will not enjoy trying to snake 6ga Romex in my basement out to the garage. Fun, fun, fun :D
I've been fortunate as far as serious auto accidents go...just that I was used to the days when lap belts were an extra cost option that few people paid for, and then shoulder belts were installed in every car with a buzzer if you don't at least couple them. Without question seat belts save lives, but it was a habit that took a while to adopt for me...when the kids came along, you better believe Mom and I always made sure they were buckled up. It was the first buzzer/bell/chime/audible warning installed in cars, as I remember.

Last edited:
Yeah, it was 50 years ago I was in that wreck. Still wrangling with the issues from it. As I age now it gets harder to fight the neck pain and stiffness. Going in for an eval with a new place today. See what if anything they can accomplish. I was hit from behind at about 40 mph. Was hurting pretty good. I never again didn't use lap and shoulder belts if equipped from then on. Until then used only sporadically.

Second day we drove the hybrid down to Peoria and on the way back I yawned. Car chimed and " How about taking a break " popped up on the screen along with a pic of a coffee cup. I told the wife the damn car is watching us.
Sitting at a light behind cars and it changes green, the cars go and within a split second it chimes and says the vehicle in front has moved.
I imagine when you get in a accident all the information will be available to whoever it may concern.

Second day we drove the hybrid down to Peoria and on the way back I yawned. Car chimed and " How about taking a break " popped up on the screen along with a pic of a coffee cup. I told the wife the damn car is watching us.
Sitting at a light behind cars and it changes green, the cars go and within a split second it chimes and says the vehicle in front has moved.
I imagine when you get in a accident all the information will be available to whoever it may concern.

Keep in mind it is already gathering telemetry data regarding how hard you accelerate, brake, corner, etc for calculating future insurance rates...

So, I got the 240V 6ga wiring installed from new breaker panel up to garage and the new APEX Mach II Level 2 charger installed. Seems to work great! My body is aching though. Man, 6 ga 3 conductor plus ground is some HEAVY stuff. Especially doing 50' of it trying to run it up high and tack it in. But, it's in. Not the prettiest installation but safe.
Only task left is to find a place to mount the cable hangar/plug holster. Will do a little finagling in the garage today.
Still trying to figure out the app, (both for the charger and the actual car). So I can limit the times it will charge once plugged in plus, how high of a charge. I guess the idea is to keep the battery pack between 20% and 80% for best life. I'm sure there is a way to do it. But just so many menues and stuff I have to get the hang of it. But overall, I'm very pleased with everything

20240910_153309.jpgScreenshot_20240910_154839_Smart Life.jpgScreenshot_20240910_154857_Toyota.jpg

We just got a similar installation of 240 outlet into our garage to use with our new EV6 Kia, which replaced one of our antique Volvos
We don't drive very far any more, and there were lots of rebates....
We put in an Emporia charger, one which allows us to qualify for the electric company rebate.
I'm pretty car savvy, and there are so many bells and whistles it can be distracting. Really like regenerative braking, though.
We still have one Volvo, a 96 850 Turbo wagon, perfect size for another(?) x000. Just turned 88, and the one I just got, a green 1100, could be our last.....
But then Weberitis doesn't seem to abate with age.......

Well, for one thing I don't tailgate. Did a couple times at Brewer's Cubs games at Brewers (Miller) field. But have not in 20+ years. Beside, how would I possibly use one tailgating? It's electric. BTW when I did tailgate I used my Jumbo Joe.

Really like regenerative braking, though.
Having a hard time getting used to the one pedal type regen boost type driving. Constantly having issues trying to judge rate of deceleration. I turned it off while driving and noticed my avg Kwh per mile got better. I think because it's more predictable So I have an easier time driving smoother and more economically.

Plug it into your electric car!;)
The only ones that do that are the Tesla Truck and the F150 Lightning. Mine just has more USBc ports than I know what to do with and a couple 12V sockets (commonly called cigarette lighter in the day).
Beside, I'd just bring my Jumbo Joe or the Q220 I have stashed in my back garage. I would not bother with electric.

Having a hard time getting used to the one pedal type regen boost type driving. Constantly having issues trying to judge rate of deceleration. I turned it off while driving and noticed my avg Kwh per mile got better. I think because it's more predictable So I have an easier time driving smoother and more economically.
To master one pedal driving you have to avoid driving any other cars until your mind adjusts. I read that human performance studies show one pedal driving to ultimately be more intuitive but you must stick with it until you feel comfortable. I crossed the rubicon and now much prefer one pedal driving but it took a few weeks abstaining from traditional braking. Now I can drive both comfortably.

That said, backing down a sloped driveway is still a little “different” since I normally just feather the brakes to ease down. You’ll understand when you try it.

To master one pedal driving you have to avoid driving any other cars until your mind adjusts. I read that human performance studies show one pedal driving to ultimately be more intuitive but you must stick with it until you feel comfortable. I crossed the rubicon and now much prefer one pedal driving but it took a few weeks abstaining from traditional braking. Now I can drive both comfortably.

That said, backing down a sloped driveway is still a little “different” since I normally just feather the brakes to ease down. You’ll understand when you try it.
<shrug> can't imagine that it's really all that different than switching between 3 pedals (stick) and 2 pedals (automatic) *ONCE* you learn how to control a 1 pedal. I switch between 3 and 2 pedals regularly.

My SIL thinks that I need an EV charger at my place so she can charge her car when she visits.
I don’t even have an EV yet so I don’t see the need for a charger right now.
This doesn’t seem to faze her one bit, she still thinks I need a charger station for her and/or my guests.
She is also very friendly with our wine collection so there is that train of thought with her.

I’m a pretty generous host for the most part, I just never figured I would be fueling up peoples cars for them.
Is this now a thing?

I even got the Tesla adapter with mine, just in case my SIL needs it LOL. The Toyota 1 pedal is not true 1 pedal as in Tesla. It will come down to nearly a complete stop but once it drops under 5 mph the brake lights turn off and it will just creep along. Also if it varies the amount. If the battery is near fully charged it's much less regen than if it's lower and it's proportional to how much charge is in it. So it's another reason I have trouble with it. If it was the same all the time, maybe I'd start being better able to adapt.
Also it's a FAR cry more different (at least to me) than comparing an automatic to a manual. I can go back and forth from auto to manual almost without thinking about it. I regularly did. Because we owned both types of cars.
But this is way more foreign to me

Back