So I drove an electric car

BMW made what is IMO sort of the ultimate irony BEV with the I3. It's a BEV with a BMW boxer twin motorcycle engine under the rear floor. So when the battery drops down low, the little twin, fires up, and charges the battery while you drive.
Sort of a crude take on the Chevy Volt. Which IMO was genius. The driveline being completely electric. IRIC has a BEV range of about 100 miles. If exceeded the engine kicks on and produces electricity to drive the traction motor(s) and charge the battery pack. Similar to a diesel electric locomotive.
IDK why GM didn't further refine that idea. I know folks who have/had them and they absolutely love them. Toyota has done the best interpretation with their "Prime" vehicles IMO. Sales of them show just how well they've done it too. The wait because the demand is so strong, is a year plus!
I know a couple who flew all the way to California because a dealer had gotten one, paid for it online up front, took delivery and drove it home out here to Delavan WI! They LOVE it. Saying it's amazing because they rarely need the gas engine.
I love my BZ so far, but I believe the future for more widespread use will be the Toyota type electric

That was a real belly laugh you made me do there Dan.
She used to terrorize our wine stash when we weren’t here and just used this place as a vacation house.
I’m probably not the only one with in-laws and outlaws though 🙂.

Back