So I drove an electric car

Great looking car. Love Android auto. Is your version wireless?
Yep, sure is. On our older RAV (2020 Hybrid Limited) it's wireless Car Play but wired Android Auto. My understanding of Android Auto is it's so demanding of Bluetooth it will not work properly. So, to do it wirelessly it has to work through it's own private wireless network. On the RAV I bought a Motorola MA1 adapter and it's great

Well this AM, I got my first scare on the BZ. I have a contractor coming today to finish the repair on our driveway.
Well yesterday I used the BZ for first time on a longer drive to my buddy's house in Spring Grove to get machine work done on a mixer I'm overhauling for a customer. So yesterday was about 125 mile round trip. Left the house with 98% or so on battery. All nice back roads driven. Some "at speed" :D (shh don't tell the County Mounties), but I like to "book" so yeah 70-75 not unusual.
Got home with 48% left. Well I don't have the 240V run to my garage yet but I do have a 30amp 120V socket. So, I plugged the dual voltage charger in there for an over night.
Went out to remove the charger to I could move the car when the guys come. Nothing was going to let me pull the plug from that car! Was getting desperate, thinking, I'm going to need to call a flatbed to take my 1 day old car to dealer. Then it dawned on me. Try unlocking the car doors. It released. I never knew locking the doors locked the charge cable to the car LOL

Yeah, yet another "oddity" I found. It does not come with a printed owner's manual set. If you want that you have to order and pay for it. I managed to finally find that late last night. No time to read yet LOL

Yeah, yet another "oddity" I found. It does not come with a printed owner's manual set. If you want that you have to order and pay for it. I managed to finally find that late last night. No time to read yet LOL
They didn't want to add 5 lbs of dead weight in the glove box.

My Outback came with printed manuals-lots of them. The entire glovebox was full with no room for anything else. I never use them, it is easier to find the answer on line. If you need help on the road, your smart phone will save you.

Call me old fashioned. I like having printed materials. I don't actually read all that stuff, but I REALLY appreciate not having to look at a screen of some sort. Like just a little while ago, I was watching a video on the 23 model. Mine being a 24 may be different. Mine came with the optional "climate package" which includes amongst other things like heavy rubber floor and cargo mats, leg and foot warmer supplemental heaters built into the area a glove box would be and under the steering column.
In the video I watched the driver was able to turn those on independently of the climate control. I could not find corresponding controls on mine even though the $350 charge is right there on the Mulroney label. Even the Toyota Care rep, did not know. Thinking like me perhaps, Toyota has that operating much like automatic seat heating/cooling, steering wheel heating etc.
I'm going to be taking it to the dealer. As there is a silly warning chime inside the car when you place in reverse. Apparently enough people are bright enough to stop from getting out of the car while in reverse and running themselves over

Mine does have a back up chime and it's a hybrid. Car is so quiet I guess thats to warn people around you. Even going forward when it switches to battery it will make a soft chime.

Mine does have a back up chime and it's a hybrid. Car is so quiet I guess thats to warn people around you. Even going forward when it switches to battery it will make a soft chime.
Yeah I know about the exterior sound. This is from inside the car. It's to warn the driver they're in reverse. Apparently people have gotten out of their cars and backed over themselves. Of course they sue the mfg

That's weird. If I open my driver door the car automatically goes into park.
But my foot is on the brake when that happens.

Yeah, not this. It stays in reverse. The little buzzing "outerspace" sound is going outside and this goofy "chime" is ringing away on the dash. Gonna have them turn it off at service dept. I've done some dumb s^&t in my life but never gotten out of a car while in gear.
Gotta be really low on the Darwin scale for that

Some of these things may be mandated by NHTSA or the gubment. In CA, legislators want any cars sold after a certain date to give a warning whenever the car exceeds the speed limit. Won't that be fun when cars tell you how to drive?

EDIT: Thinking about it...if we ever get to self-driving cars, I wouldn't mind that at all.

There is a little emblem in the speedo on both my RAV and my new BZ that turns red at +1 over. The BZ even has a driver alertness check. Actually works and honestly not terribly intrusive.
But yeah I'm a little tired of all the intrusiveness into our lives

There is a little emblem in the speedo on both my RAV and my new BZ that turns red at +1 over. The BZ even has a driver alertness check. Actually works and honestly not terribly intrusive.
But yeah I'm a little tired of all the intrusiveness into our lives
Well, as for the chime and all the other sounds...I think you will learn to tune them out, just like you learn to tune out the wife. :D It's a new car, give it time, you'll get used to all the new noises and other safety features. Remember how annoying the seatbelt chimes were when they first came out?

Back