So a gorgeous evening last night

LMichaels

TVWBB 1-Star Olympian
Well we had one of those rare days/evenings where the stars aligned with good food, gorgeous weather, nice wine and some peace and quiet
We got some Chilean Sea Bass. If you have never tried this fish it is such a wonderful fish especially to grill. The texture is literally like eating butter. With a wonderful mild/sweet flavor in the same realm as lobster
A nice tossed salad a nice bottle of wine (yeah I know it was red. But I like red and so does wife. Beside the only wrong wine is wine you don't like
Plus before dinner a very nice 12yo scotch rocks. Finished off with a spot of Kahluah AHH
20210501_192408.jpg20210501_192417.jpg20210501_192427.jpg20210501_194741.jpg20210501_201342.jpg

That looks like a great evening. Great photo collage I have never had "Chilean Seabass" or also known as "Patagonian Toothfish" as it was so over fished that it wound up on all the red lists for sustainable fishes. It is also really expensive around here. I think the management of the fish has greatly improved from what I just read. I may have to try it some time. We also dined outside last evening. My first attempt at smash burgers.
Here is some history on the name that I found interesting.
The Patagonian and the Antarctic toothfishes are sometimes sold as "Chilean sea bass" in the United States and Canada.

The name "Chilean seabass" was invented by a fish wholesaler named Lee Lantz in 1977. He was looking for a name that would make it attractive to the American market.[4] He considered "Pacific sea bass" and "South American sea bass" before settling on "Chilean sea bass".[5] In 1994, the U.S. Food and Drug Administration accepted "Chilean seabass" as an "alternative market name" for Patagonian toothfish,[5] and in 2013 for Antarctic toothfish.

Hmmm, I was dealing with those popcorn showers last night. I did do a Pork loin on the Q last night though. Tonight looks like a total wash.

Larry, that looks like one great evening. Nice weather sure helps bring that out. I have told local friends here, that while I did not enjoy the four-month Midwest winter, yesterday was the most beautiful day I can remember, surpassing any I experienced in Florida. I broke out my CharQ to grill a couple burgers and a steak for me for Sunday. (My wife hates charcoal so I did mine in advance (left). I cooked the steak for my wife and aunt today (Sunday) on my little 2-burner Skyline - right.)

Steak on the CharQ with Frontier Charcoal.jpegSteak on the Skyline with GrillGrates.jpeg

Although I spent quite a few hours doing taxes, I couldn't stay inside all day. I am working on building raised gardens for one of my other favorite things - BERRIES! I finished one box in which I have black raspberries and purple raspberries planted. and I have a second almost done that will have Triple Crown blackberries and golden raspberries. Finally, I hope to make a third to plant Loganberries.

Raised Garden for Berries.jpeg

My wife's 83 year old aunt, who lives with us now, came home with two tomato plants. Even though that raised garden wasn't ready, I rushed a section of it into service for her! It was a fun thing to do on such a pretty day.

Tomatoes.jpeg

The house came with a strawberry bed already in existence. They were all done bearing by the time we closed on our house at the end of July. Other than some weeding I confess to not having done much with them. So, I didn't expect much, but it looks like we will be having quite a nice little harvest!

Strawberries1.jpeg

Strawberries2.jpeg

While I do miss things about my old home in Florida, Saturday was such a pretty day and seeing everything respond to spring is helping me be very grateful for how things have turned out :coolkettle: .

Last edited:
Glad to see you enjoying yourself.

We had a fantastic weekend here too. We went to the park with our daughter and made sure to enjoy it.

Fired up the Frankengrill and cooked some steaks. Beautiful way to end it.

Friend's young kid was in class when teacher asked all the kids what their favorite food was. Pizza, pizza, Chilean Sea Bass.... out of the mouths of babes.

Jon, been meaning to ask we need a full report on how the weather compares. Maybe after a full year or more.

Love the garden plans. Any tips on how to diy a box, where to get good soil/compost, plants, frames...

West Central Indiana. I felt that winter lasted from late November to late March. Of course there were some nice days in there (and some pretty cold days before and after). Of course, I am a Floridian, so my definition would be different then a Chicagoan. My wife, Faith, is from suburban Chicago and felt our winter was too "mild" and with not enough snow :rolleyes: . I just viewed it as purgatory and am now enjoying the advent of spring:giggle:. Not afraid of summer hot days and will enjoy fall again. I just hope this year there will be some time for bbq and redoing grills. Last summer and fall was pretty much a lost year due to our move and all its complications.

Tony,
The box was made really simply. I used cedar because I had an aversion to pressure treated wood for fruit plants, but that probably is stupid.
I used 12' 1x6 boards for the long part and 3' 1x6s for the ends. Attached those to 4x4 posts that I cut to stick above and below the box. The lower part was maybe 4 inches, just enough to give a little bit of extra anchor. The weight of the dirt does most of that. I made the 4x4s stick up above the slats so I could cap with cheap solar/LED caps from Lowes. I thought it gave it a nice touch. The trellis design is classic berry farm style. Used 1x3 for the vertical pieces and 1x2s for the cross pieces. There are eye hooks attached at the ends to string galvanize wire to make the supports. I haven't done that yet. I have a second box almost done, but I had to get back to taxes :rolleyes: .

Berry Box under construction.jpeg
My wife took this picture of me escaping from tax preparation and doing something a lot more fun!
Berry Box builder.jpeg

Tony,
The box was made really simply. I used cedar because I had an aversion to pressure treated wood for fruit plants, but that probably is stupid.
I used 12' 1x6 boards for the long part and 3' 1x6s for the ends. Attached those to 4x4 posts that I cut to stick above and below the box. The lower part was maybe 4 inches, just enough to give a little bit of extra anchor. The weight of the dirt does most of that. I made the 4x4s stick up above the slats so I could cap with cheap solar/LED caps from Lowes. I thought it gave it a nice touch. The trellis design is classic berry farm style. Used 1x3 for the vertical pieces and 1x2s for the cross pieces. There are eye hooks attached at the ends to string galvanize wire to make the supports. I haven't done that yet. I have a second box almost done, but I had to get back to taxes :rolleyes: .

View attachment 27363
My wife took this picture of me escaping from tax preparation and doing something a lot more fun!
View attachment 27364
Wood paneled garage? That is a new one. Maybe from the 70's? That's when I did my bedroom;-)

Well we had one of those rare days/evenings where the stars aligned with good food, gorgeous weather, nice wine and some peace and quiet
We got some Chilean Sea Bass. If you have never tried this fish it is such a wonderful fish especially to grill. The texture is literally like eating butter. With a wonderful mild/sweet flavor in the same realm as lobster
A nice tossed salad a nice bottle of wine (yeah I know it was red. But I like red and so does wife. Beside the only wrong wine is wine you don't like
Plus before dinner a very nice 12yo scotch rocks. Finished off with a spot of Kahluah AHH
View attachment 27218View attachment 27219View attachment 27220View attachment 27221View attachment 27222
Looks like my kind of dinner! I need to grill more fish.... I like almost anything that swims but the Mrs has a few things she won't eat.

Oh, yeah! Our house is the leisure suit of houses...classic 1970s tri-level. Seems odd here in Central Indiana. I think you joined TVWBB after my debacle attempted house purchase. With no place to live, we had to get what we could find after that. Actually even though it has many dated features, I kind of like some aspects of our old house and the fairly large double lot with plenty of trees. There is still painted paneling in the family room and one bedroom. Hopefully, someday to be drywalled, but too many more important things for now...

This thread tells our story. It got kind of long, but you can breeze through it. The part about our purchase falling through the day before closing, - due to the seller's unethical behavior- starts on page 3.

Front of House.jpg

Living Room.jpeg

Fall 2020.jpeg

It was kind of moving for me to re-read what I wrote almost a year ago. What a lot of emotions we went through....The Stephen Curtis Chapman YoutTube song on page 4 says it all for me. Even if it is not your style, check it out and stay with it until about 1:20. The guy in the room was how I felt, but we received the same burst of grace he does in that video:cool:!

Back