So a gorgeous evening last night

We are getting a house built because we haven’t be able to buy one thanks to this brutal market. Sold out house July of 2020. Will be here in this apt till fall. Sadly won’t have much of a yard but a 12x12 patio w natural gas ran to run those Weber’s on :)

It was kind of moving for me to re-read what I wrote almost a year ago. What a lot of emotions we went through....The Stephen Curtis Chapman YoutTube song on page 4 says it all for me. Even if it is not your style, check it out and stay with it until about 1:20. The guy in the room was how I felt, but we received the same burst of grace he does in that video:cool:!
Wow Jon. I remember reading you had moved from FL but I did not know why (I kept thinking Fl - IN :unsure:). Thanks for sharing, and am glad you found a place. From the pictures it looks really nice, I like the bow windows. I think I was a neighbor of yours in Fl for a time. In the fall of 2014 we sold our home and went sailing. We went down the ICW and wound up on a mooring ball in Stuart (we really liked Stuart) for a month or two before heading to Miami and the Bahamas. I pretty sure we went right by Jupiter on the way. When we came back from the Bahamas in 2015 we made landfall in Fort Pierce and lived at the marina there until I got diverticulitis and my colon blew up. I was at Lawn wood hospital (would not wish that place on an enemy). I had about 7 surgeries and could not go back to the boat. We then rented an apartment for about 6 months in Port Saint Lucie while I recuperated enough for us to sell the boat and move back to VA.

Damn building a house now is crazy. Hell the price of lumber for the average house has increased to the actual cost of what you can buy some whole houses here in Rockford IL (or should I say Rockghanstahn considering how much street shooting there is here).

Yah, Larry, you live a bit too close to Chicago. But it is moving up this way too.

Yah, Larry, you live a bit too close to Chicago. But it is moving up this way too.
Chicago has nothing to do with that. Lumber prices are skyrocketing. Listening to the futures report the other day and they reported price of lumber up 265% in last 3 months! Guy was on FB the other day touting the advantages of his full size Suburban SUV for sale and that you could put whole sheets of 4x8 plywood in it. I commented on his post asking "Who can afford plywood?" Got lots of smilies. Seriously wife and I were thinking about building. Not anymore. At this rate our new home we were budgeting in the $180 to $200 range would now be over $300k So unless we were to totally NEED to relocate out of state we have to stay put

Damn building a house now is crazy. Hell the price of lumber for the average house has increased to the actual cost of what you can buy some whole houses here in Rockford IL (or should I say Rockghanstahn considering how much street shooting there is here).
buying one is 100X more crazy lol

Lucky timing for us 😭. For the last 6 months we have been back and forth designing what we hope to be our "toes up house". Looks like we may finally get the financing and contract in place in a few weeks. Our builder has been ringing our ears with the prices of materials. This sucks.

Joe, it is definitely a tough time to buy lumber, and appliances are in low supply. I sure hope you can pull it off. You wouldn't believe what I had to pay for the cedar 4x4s. I dropped my plan to go three planks high to just two. Even so those "berry boxes" cost more than I should have paid :rolleyes: .

Whish is why since we have one and it mostly works we're staying put.
we sold ours last summer, renting a condo at an insane rent, building worked for us, I know we paid more in wood but atleast we got our spot and dont have to offer 50K over asking lol

Joe, it is definitely a tough time to buy lumber, and appliances are in low supply. I sure hope you can pull it off. You wouldn't believe what I had to pay for the cedar 4x4s. I dropped my plan to go three planks high to just two. Even so those "berry boxes" cost more than I should have paid :rolleyes: .
I use cedar fence pickets for my raised beds.

Chicago has nothing to do with that. Lumber prices are skyrocketing. Listening to the futures report the other day and they reported price of lumber up 265% in last 3 months! Guy was on FB the other day touting the advantages of his full size Suburban SUV for sale and that you could put whole sheets of 4x8 plywood in it. I commented on his post asking "Who can afford plywood?" Got lots of smilies. Seriously wife and I were thinking about building. Not anymore. At this rate our new home we were budgeting in the $180 to $200 range would now be over $300k So unless we were to totally NEED to relocate out of state we have to stay put
Yep. I need to replace 75% of the mid 1960's plywood on my roof with new.
4' x 8' x 1/2" 4 ply CDX is $47.00 and change.
4' x 8'x 7/16" OSB is $40.00.
That used to be the price we paid for cabinet grade plywood or pressure treated, MDF..
Nuts!!!

Back