Smooth Bark on Wood, Yes or No?

Ken Hendrix

I have read the opinions of bark vs. no bark on the wood used in the smoker. Presumably this is referring to rough textured bark on the trunk portions of the tree. Some of what I use is limbs from a pecan tree which have smooth bark. Im curious if the rationale of no bark is applicable to the smooth bark on the pecan limbs I use. Any thoughts?

I have read the opinions of bark vs. no bark on the wood used in the smoker. Presumably this is referring to rough textured bark on the trunk portions of the tree. Some of what I use is limbs from a pecan tree which have smooth bark. Im curious if the rationale of no bark is applicable to the smooth bark on the pecan limbs I use. Any thoughts?

I think the smooth bark trees would be different. I think its the dry hard chunks of bark that people worry about. I know I wouldn't bother trying to take the bark off either way. I LOVE pecan smoke.

Last edited:
What is the argument against bark? I use it all...rough, smooth, gnarly...I don't care. What am I missing? What bad can happen if I burn bark?

I think I get the cleanest hickory flavor when I walk out in the woods with a pair of pruning shears and snip some young twigs about the size of my little finger and then stand over the fire snipping the twigs into little pieces. Which in the end is a vote in favor of using smooth bark.

Some people think that bark stinks when it cooks and they don't want that on their meat. Mike Scrutchfield is one of those guys, you can hear him discuss it in the first video at the bottom of this page, timestamp around 3:30:

Best Ribs In The Universe: Baby Back Ribs By The Legendary Mike Scrutchfield

People burn split logs with intact bark in offset pits all day long. Scrutchfield suggests just burning bark in your pit and see how you like the aroma, but we don't cook food over just bark. For me, I don't remove bark from wood chunks before use in the WSM.

Thanks for the feedback. Im relatively new to the world of using a smoker so some of the stuff I read gets my curiosity up. Real world feedback is just part of what makes TVWBB a great resource for someone like me. Im learning a lot.

I also agree with Chris. I have used chunks with and without bark and really haven't had and issue either way. Ken, you are correct about this being a great resource. I have learned a lot from Chris's articles as well as from the members here which are always ready to offer advice, tips, and support. This is definitely a great and unique place.

I really don't think bark vs no bark matters but most of the time I remove the bark. If the hatchet is handy why not I guess.... I have heard some people say bark burns dirty... not sure if I believe that but who knows.

Nut-woods, I wouldn't worry about and if the bark falls off while handling, than that's OK.
Fruit wood bark can have some issues. Mold and mildew is one that can be visually seen, and if you don't know the source a topical spray like a pesticide can be still present in bark.
If you have concerns, you don't have to strip the bark, just lay it on top of your chimney when doing a Minion start, and burn off all the nastiness.

Tim

I have done bark and no bark with my wsm's and don't notice a difference. Both are good. The only thing I really check for on my smoke wood is termite or rot. For me they don't smoke very long and give off a stinky white smoke very quickly.

If your wood is dry and clean, as in no mold, bark makes zero difference in the taste of the meat. Folks sometimes try to overcomplicate this cooking thing. I even have a friend that thinks the tree that the wood came from has to be cut down during a certain moon at a certain time of the year. Go figure.

Back