Smoking on the 26er

Dustin Flavell

TVWBB Pro
So I like to smoke ribs flat, but I can’t fit three racks in the 22 WSM. Been doing them on the 26er so I have more room with coals banked to one side. The rack closest to the coals always cook fast and hotter than the rack furthest from the coals. Below is my attempt to set the 26 like a WSM.

Charcoal grate from a 22” kettle. Stock coal ring from 18” WSM. Added two 7” U type bolts to set a diffuser on to raise above the coal ring.

I wrapped the coal grate from the 26” kettle in foil as a diffuser plate.

Ribs on

Just before foil.

Set-up worked out well. I placed two temp probes at grate level on each side. Was able to maintain 275* with a degree or two difference by each probe. Bottom vent was barely cracked top vent wide open. Pretty happy, but would like to raise it a bit since the diffuser is only an inch from the cooking grate not leaving room for a grease pan. Thinking CB rotisserie should help with that ;)

Nice setup. Might consider making a hover grate with an additional 22" grate, 4 carriage bolts and some washers. Would lift the ribs up about 4 inches which should leave room for a drip pan.

Oh I am loving this! Another reason why I don't need a 22WSM...and I'll love to continue cooking on my 26's.

That's going to be my next rib cook. Thanks Dustin. How did you light it? Minion? Soo's Donut?

I see the attraction of the 26 to be sure! When I find one, I will re arrange my patio to accommodate the design in my head!

Oh I am loving this! Another reason why I don't need a 22WSM...and I'll love to continue cooking on my 26's.

That's going to be my next rib cook. Thanks Dustin. How did you light it? Minion? Soo's Donut?

Soo’s. You could build a mini ranch with the cash you saved on a used 22” WSM ;) this set up might really add the the dust collecting on my 22...

- - - Updated - - -

Really like your idea Dustin, If I needed a 26 I would do the same.
Rich. You need a 26! ;)

Dustin,

Cool cook. How many lit coals did you put on? Also, did you have a lot of coals left over since you filled the charcoal ring?

Last edited:
Paul,
I pulled about 12 out of the center. Surprisingly I did not have many coals left after a 4 hour cook. I shut down the bottom and top vent like I do on the WSM when I’m done cooking. One thing I noticed was the dome temp was still around 300 even a couple hours after shutting down. I guess I was surprised since I use this grill all the time Indirect with coals banked and always have coals left.

Basically I filled the bottom with ash by lowering with that 22” coal grate. A long cook and I may have had issues with ash build up on the bottom.

I've done a similar mod with my 26er. Works really well just have to clear the ash often. Picked up a used iq110 and want to try it with this setup.

Z6W4Gj6.jpg

hLuJIsU.jpg

bFXJjHa.jpg

4WzbO2Q.jpg

SCWw2CZ.jpg

JwxtWle.jpg

Do it. If you grill and smoke regularly it's really no down side. I got rid of my 18 wsm because the 26er covered all bases.

So I like to smoke ribs flat, but I can’t fit three racks in the 22 WSM. Been doing them on the 26er so I have more room with coals banked to one side. The rack closest to the coals always cook fast and hotter than the rack furthest from the coals. Below is my attempt to set the 26 like a WSM.

Charcoal grate from a 22” kettle. Stock coal ring from 18” WSM. Added two 7” U type bolts to set a diffuser on to raise above the coal ring.

I wrapped the coal grate from the 26” kettle in foil as a diffuser plate.

Ribs on

Just before foil.

Set-up worked out well. I placed two temp probes at grate level on each side. Was able to maintain 275* with a degree or two difference by each probe. Bottom vent was barely cracked top vent wide open. Pretty happy, but would like to raise it a bit since the diffuser is only an inch from the cooking grate not leaving room for a grease pan. Thinking CB rotisserie should help with that ;)

Dustin, find you a lid from a 55 gallon drum, works as a diffuser and drip pan. I use one myself.

Thanks a lot, Dustin. I've been looking for a 26" Kettle on craigslist forever. Haven't found one and have thus far resisted pulling the trigger on a new one. My wife's going to love you if I falter because of your post.

Ha ha ha Lew it has happen before. My buddy in Nevada was searching for years for a CL 26er after he saw my 26 with the ranch kettle frame under it he pulled the trigger on a new one. Then the parts to build a mini ranch. Think he is still married :D The only down side to getting a 26 is dusting the cob webs off all your other cookers from sitting. Pull the trigger you won’t be disappointed!

Great idea. That is my biggest regret going with the 18" smoker. I really can't fit full slabs in it. I've resorted to just using my Kettle in a similar fashion. I don't like my baby backs toooooooo tender anyway.

On my 26 I just bank coals to one side of the charcoal grate and put food over the non heated side. The round shape of the lid promotes air circulation so that I don't need to worry about hot spots.

To make smoke I just use pellet grill pellets over my lit coals, usually damp and in foil pouches. Once wet, these become like wet sand, no longer pellets.

Back