Smoking my first brisket tomorrow

Mike Oz

So I just picked up a 13.25 pound packer that I'm going to smoke tomorrow. I've done ribs and butt but never brisket so I wanted to make sure I have my plan down solid. I also have a couple questions:

1. I was planning on smoking at 250 degrees but I've been reading that the lower and longer you smoke, the easier it is to end up with a dry brisket. Any tips on what temperature to stick to?

2. Any tips on what rub to use or just stick to salt and pepper for the first brisket?

3. I have regular reynolds wrap tinfoil, how am I supposed to wrap a huge 13 pound brisket with that? I haven't been able to find any tips on wrapping.

Once I figure those out, here's the plan:

* Smoke unwrapped, fat side down until the thickest part of the flat reads 160 degrees

* Wrap tightly and continue to smoke fat side down until the meat reads 185 degrees

* Poke the brisket with a prove every 20 minutes until it goes in like butter, basically no resistance

* Once it goes in like butter, let it sit out unwrapped until it drops to 165 degrees, then serve.

Sounds good?

Welcome to the family, Mike.

From the looks of it, your plans are basically sound. 250 is an excellent temperature for brisket. The only two changes I could recommend is waiting until the bark is fully set, then wrap and placing some 'braising liquid' in the foiled envelope. You can use the fingernail scratch test to check the bark. If you can scrape it, then it's not yet set.

Welcome to the family, Mike.

From the looks of it, your plans are basically sound. 250 is an excellent temperature for brisket. The only two changes I could recommend is waiting until the bark is fully set, then wrap and placing some 'braising liquid' in the foiled envelope. You can use the fingernail scratch test to check the bark. If you can scrape it, then it's not yet set.

Do you think beer could be the braising liquid?

Briskets benefit from a nice long resting period before serving. After you let the temp drop to around 165, I would wrap tightly in foil, then put in a smallish ice chest with towels, and let it rest for another hour or so (I typically shoot for a total resting time of around 2 hours from when I take it off the smoker). Then slice and serve. Also, it tends to dry out fairly quickly once sliced, so don't slice it until you are ready to serve.

I'm really interested in how this turns out, and the protocol that you followed.

I'm planning on doing a brisket for Smoke Day, 5/24. It's just two of us; so, the brisket will be small. I'll adjust what you tell me accordingly.

PHOTOS, PLEASE!

Eugene... Go big when you do your brisket. A little easier and more 'forgiving' than a smaller one. Besides, you can freeze the left-overs for later.

Back