Smoking Fresh Kielbasa

All enjoyed my kielbasa at Easter dinner and the smoke was obvious only to me and the missus, as everyone else thought I had bought it smoked until I was able to tell my tale. I believe we must've had at least eight varieties from all over the area, as everyone each had their own Easter basket with their own preferred brand. However, although mine came out quite tasty (self-praise being half scandal) there was still quite a bit of fat in it. I guess I'll have to throw mine back on the Gennie and coax a bit of the fat out of them, without drying them out. If anyone has a time-tested method of doing this, I'm all eyes!

To me the fat still being in there is a good thing. The only thing I can think is start with a less fatty sausage or cook at a higher temp. Good luck!

I don't remember adding any fat to my mix. It was pure butt. If it appeared too much, I did cut some away (especially that soft mushy stuff you find inside between the muscles) but generally if it's the hard outside fat, in she goes :D

I'd follow the smoking temp recommendations as written though. I've made that (boy was it good ;) ) from scratch but don't remember it being too fatty as you described.

I can suggest a non-traditional method on the Performer (or in this case, the Jumbo Joe). I set up a two zone fire with firebricks, use a throw-away aluminum pan filled with sauerkraut, then four or five sausages, then pour your choice of beer in the pan until halfway up on the sausages. Place over direct until the beer starts boiling, then move to indirect. Ten minutes, the flip for another ten minutes. Take sausages out, grill on direct until browned, flip, then back in the kraut for serving.

Method is the same I do with brats.

Delicious!

Keep on smokin’,
Dale53:wsm:

Last edited:
This Easter, I got it right. It was a cooler day than last year and the 1000 held a steady 225 with all burners on low. Except for about 3 minutes when it got to 250 and a lot of the fat came squirting out a couple of links. Those were a disappointment as the casing had voids inside where the fat used to be. But the others that were on a cooler part of the grill came out wonderful! Sorry, we ate it all already.

- - - Updated - - -

My mouth spontaneously waters!

Back