Smoking a Prime Rib Roast

Matt in MD

TVWBB Fan
Hi all - I picked up a beauty yesterday, an almost 8 pound, 3 bone prime rib roast. I'm smoking it Christmas morning and see a lot of different advice regarding methods of cooking. I will plan on a final internal temp of about 120-125, resting to 130-135. I have 2 main questions:

• One recipe I am looking at recommends a WSM temp of 200 and others suggest 325-350. What have you had the best results with?
  • I am also wondering if you guys think finishing it at high temp around 500 (I would use my gasser) to develop the crust is a good idea or not.

Thanks!

Matt, I don't smoke my standing rib roasts, but the time/temp I use will work on the WSM just as well as in the oven. I use the low/slow, then hot finish method. I cook my roast (usually 4 or 5 bones) at 225 until it hits about 130 degrees internal temp. I then remove from the oven, tent with foil, and crank my oven as high as it will go. When the oven is ready, I pop the roast back in for 10-15 minutes to get that good "sear". Then it's out of the oven again, and slice to serve when all the sides are ready.

Last year's roast took 5 1/2 hours at 225 to get to 130, and it weighed in at 13.5 lbs (prime grade.)

If you follow those temps on your WSM, and then gasser, you should be good. I'd use light hand on the smoke, as the flavor of the roast should be the star (...the reason I don't smoke this cut.)

Here's how last year's looked after the oven sear:

IMG_1167.JPG

Hope that helps!

Rich

Last edited:
Matt, I don't smoke my standing rib roasts, but the time/temp I use will work on the WSM just as well as in the oven. I use the low/slow, then hot finish method. I cook my roast (usually 4 or 5 bones) at 225 until it hits about 130 degrees internal temp. I then remove from the oven, tent with foil, and crank my oven as high as it will go. When the oven is ready, I pop the roast back in for 10-15 minutes to get that good "sear". Then it's out of the oven again, and slice to serve when all the sides are ready.

Last year's roast took 5 1/2 hours at 225 to get to 130, and it weighed in at 13.5 lbs (prime grade.)

If you follow those temps on your WSM, and then gasser, you should be good. I'd use light hand on the smoke, as the flavor of the roast should be the star (...the reason I don't smoke this cut.)

Here's how last year's looked after the oven sear:

IMG_1167.JPG

Hope that helps!

Rich

Rich,
That looks fabulous!

I ordered a 4 bone Choice standing rib roast from my specialty butcher for Christmas dinner and I'm going to try this method out.

Back