Smoking a butt ahead of time

Jack Straw

TVWBB Fan
Smoking a pork butt a couple days before it will be consumed. Should I pull it when it's done or leave it whole before reheating? What have you found to be the best way to reheat?

Ditto what Dave said.....and vacuum seal the pork.

To reheat you can put in a pan with a little apple juice.

I agree with those that say pull it when it's finished and rested for 30 minutes to an hour. We vacuum pack pulled pork and put in the freezer. However, for short term freezing, particularly if you don't have a vacuum sealer, then just use zip lock bags. They will work just fine.

FWIW
Dale53

How long could pulled pork last in a tupperware container, with saran wrap placed over the container before applying the lid, and then wrapping the whole thing in tin foil?

I don't plan on keeping it much longer than a month, but I'm curious.

How long could pulled pork last in a tupperware container, with saran wrap placed over the container before applying the lid, and then wrapping the whole thing in tin foil?

I don't plan on keeping it much longer than a month, but I'm curious.

You will be fine for a month or so. We do trays of lasagna & Kugela every year for the holidays and just use the disposable aluminum pans with covers. Those last at least a month or so without any noticeable difference in taste or smell.
If you want to avoid freezer burn you can just use regular freezer type zip-loc bags. Add the cooled pulled pork then slowly submerge in a container of water while slowly closing the zipper, the water pressure will force most if not all of the air out of the bag.
HTH

Tim

I would have to go against the popular opinion on this one. I think that if you pull it you are just increasing the surface area of the pork which in my opinion (I don't have a vacuum sealer which could be a deciding factor) makes the pork dry out more. What I would suggest is that you cook the butt and leave it wrapped up in foil which is the last part of my cooking method. In times where I had cooked a spare butt for a future date I take it whole and wrapped in foil - that gets wrapped in plastic wrap and then that goes in the freezer. For the future date move it from the freezer to fridge the night before and then into a low (200ish) oven for an hour or two and the pull it out and pull. From there my usual serving method is to put it in a slow cooker/turkey roaster on low/medium and people serve themselves out of that. I have had very good (not as good as day of of course) results.

Back