"Smokin in the Rain"

Bill Schultz

TVWBB Hall of Fame
So today I had planned a nice smoke with my first decent size (for me) Brisket. picked up a 6.9 Lbs flat. I searched through a good size pile to find "The One". Decent shape and nice and thick.
So last week my injector arrived. Injected last night with beef broth and Worcestershire mix, and rubbed with Texas Wild Rub. Sat in fridge over night in a aluminum foiled pan.
So, as a newbie I have been paying great attention to what I read. Especially from you guys on this site. Most importantly on how to control my WSM 22.5. I do need to pat myself on my back for paying attention and controlling the temps very well for a new guy on his first smoker.
Things I have found out.
1. Using lump on my WSM is great for a slow cook if I do a snake or what I call a "C" shape charcoal layout and only starting one end if I want temps under 300 degrees.
2. If I use a nice briquette like Stubbs the Minion method works well for a low and slow with whatever wood you choose.
3. For me, using the stock door on the side I need to have that out of a direct breeze to control temps.
4. Soaking the wood for a couple of hours makes a difference on smoke and smoke longevity.
5. The first half hour of the fire start is the most important if you want to control your temps, once mine get to 175 I have to start damping down the vents or I will spend the next two hours trying to get it back down to the temp I want.
6. If I want a hot smoke for chicken or to cook fast, 275 - 350 lump works great, and briquettes work great with the straight coals in the center of the Minion Method, along with wide open vents.

So, today I paid attention, got the Bullet to a nice even 250 using the Minion and the Stubbs. Put the Brisket on at 0945. Temp probe in it. And it started pouring. I was ready setting up on the deck.

Did I say how much I am loving this WSM, well I do.

So I mopped at three hours with Willy's Home Made, held 250-260 the whole time. I Payed Attention to you fellows and at 185 degrees pulled the temp probe out and went by tenderness only, using a shish kabob skewer.
It ended up at 189 that the skewer all of a sudden went through the brisket like a hot knife through butter.
Pulled it and this is how she looked.

Wait with a loose cover of foil for it to drop to under 145, then put it in foil and the cooler with towels. Then the rest went on.
Made garlic mashed potatoes and Gourmet Cole Slaw from a fellow on this site, it was fabulous. Thank You.
A little side note, if you want a really good Cabernet that is premium without too bad a price pick up a bottle of "337". It is wonderful and my favorite.

The Brisket was fabulous, Thanks to all here who gave freely of advise and saved me countless heartaches and hours in learning from just my mistakes.

Bill,

That brisket looks terrific. I can tell by the photos that it had great texture, and I bet it tasted great too. The whole spread, in fact, looks like a sumptuous feast. Putting great barbecue on a table all by itself is an accomplishment, but pairing it up with some well-executed and complimentary side dishes is a real victory. I like how your photos really set a relaxing scene, too. Looks to me like a life well lived.

Point #5 in your "Things I found out" list is a good one for all of us to remember. It's better to slowly build up to your target temp than it is to overshoot it and try to reel in a runaway pit and spend a couple hours playing "cat-and-mouse" with temps.

You've got style and talent, Bill. Nicely done.

Now I am hungry!! Really nice job.

I am like the Post Office, neither rain nor snow nor dark of night, notice the hi-tech windbreak I had for last Thanksgiving's fried turkey!

PC240200_zpsaa0fa68e.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Now I am hungry!! Really nice job.

I am like the Post Office, neither rain nor snow nor dark of night, notice the hi-tech windbreak I had for last Thanksgiving's fried turkey!

Looks like fun, Jeff!

Necessity is the mother of invention, and hunger makes a great midwife. ;)

Excellent looking brisket, you did a fantastic job! I always use the minion method and I use the bluebag. Vent on top always is wide open, and when starting, open the bottom vents about a third way open. I hardly ever have to adjust anything, she'll run at 250 for 10 hours.

Thanks Guy's for all the kind words. It was a fabulous meal.
And jimmy I had been starting with all wide open, next time I will start with the bottom vents a third way open instead. I bet that will be the ticket.

Food looks great and I love your yard.

That was the first thing I thought too...great looking yard. Then I got to the pics of the cut brisket and loved them more. :)

Great looking brisket and great photos.

Thanks for sharing.

Back