Smokefire Ground Beef Jerky

Lew Newby

R.I.P. 1/26/2024
Sunday I finished off the last bag of Jerky.
😭
Today I reloaded.
😁
To give my teeth a break in my old age I've switched to ground beef Jerky and todays batch came out pretty tasty with a little kick. I mixed the 4 lbs. of meat and seasoning yesterday and let the flavors meld for 24 hours. Using my Lem cannon I laid out the strips on my jerky racks and put it on the EX6. The hopper had an ample supply of Cabela's Cherry pellets. After 2 hours I rotated the racks to get an even finish. After 3 hours and 40 minutes on Smokeboost the Jerky was ready. Today smokeboost ran the entire time at temps near 193. I managed it all by myself with no supplemental oxygen. Getting better one day at a time and having fun while I do it. Smoke on.10-11-23 Beef Jerky.JPG

Looks great Lew and also great to hear you're improving. Hoping you get off of the 02 completely like I did.

Speaking of Jerky, I need to find a good deal on a lean beef roast or 2 to grind for a batch. I've had a jerky pistol for years and use it when I remember.

Wow. What a great idea. Any nitrates/cuee? Or is this fully cooked style. That is what I do.
Tasty. I made really good beef jerky. But cannot remember the recipe I used.

Have you ever posted your recipe?
I've only done venison & pork. Never tried all beef.
I don't think so because I've been tweaking it for almost 2 years. Here it is in it's latest form.
ingredients
2 pounds lean ground beef
2 teaspoons salt
½ tsp. Prague Powder
1 tsp. Sugar
1 teaspoon garlic powder
2 teaspoons ground mustard
1 teaspoon onion powder
½ teaspoon Black Pepper

1 teaspoon Worcestershire Sauce
2 teaspoon Frank's Red Hot or Tobasco
2 oz. water
3/4 tsp. Cayenne Powder OR: Replace with 2 TBS diced Jalapenos NO juice.

Directions
Prepare the seasoning and let it rest in the fridge for 2 to 24 hours to meld the flavors. Combine the ingredients in the stand mixer bowl - 2 lbs. at a time. Mix well. Cover the bowl and refrigerate for 2 hours or overnight.

Back