SmokeFire’s back on sale! 🔥

Not hating or anything. But grilling doesn't involve electricity. I'm almost 60, I'll ever buy a grill with a plug, or worse yet, internet connectivity. Might as well just use your kitchen oven. All due respect to those who like such a thing.
Ok

Not hating or anything. But grilling doesn't involve electricity. I'm almost 60, I'll ever buy a grill with a plug, or worse yet, internet connectivity. Might as well just use your kitchen oven. All due respect to those who like such a thing.
The age card doesn't play with me. In Sept. I'll turn 80 and since pellet grills are accepted by KCBS that's good enough for this old fart. Here's what the Smokefire does for an 80 year old disabled vet. I can do my grilling and cleaning without bending over to assemble my grill every cook. I don't have to bend over and pick up the cook chamber of my WSM to dispose of my ash. I don't have to do a hot squat to replenish charcoal in the middle of a cook. I can limp out, turn on my Smokefire and control it from my recliner. My BBQ years have been increased by many years because of my Smokefire and I go through the same thinking process I go through during preparation and a cook. The mental side is still old school BBQ and I'm still managing a fire. I just have a controller instead of vent wheels. Do your thing but please don't denigrate mine with or without the sugar coating.

Last edited:
The age card doesn't play with me. In Sept. I'll turn 80 and since pellet grills are accepted by KCBS that's good enough for this old fart. Here's what the Smokefire does for an 80 year old disabled vet. I can do my grilling and cleaning without bending over to assemble my grill every cook. I don't have to bend over and pick up the cook chamber of my WSM to dispose of my ash. I don't have to do a hot squat to replenish charcoal in the middle of a cook. I can limp out, turn on my Smokefire and control it from my recliner. My BBQ years have been increased by many years because of my Smokefire and I go through the same thinking process I go through during preparation and a cook. The mental side is still old school BBQ and I'm still managing a fire. I just have a controller instead of vent wheels. Do your thing but please don't denigrate mine with or without the sugar coating.
No offence intended, Lew. Just my opinion. In your case I can see the benefits. I thought my Performer propane ignition was ridiculous (still do). I just can't get past thinking that pellet grills are just overpriced contraptions. It's not a judgment against those that like them. I see a lot of people buy these things because they think that's what they need. Yeah, it's not what you "need". I'm still grilling on the $5.00 kettle I bought in 1995.

Everybody is different I am 67 and totally get where Lew is coming from, as he said the Smokefire is allowing him to keep cooking what he enjoys at age 80 and I certainly hope I can be out there with my performer and UDS at that age but hopefully I will have a Weber Summit by then or maybe I will need to go to a Pellet grill hard to see that far down the road plugging it in is not an issue for me I have a covered area outside my walkout basement with an outlet. If it rains does not matter whether I am using my performer or UDS. My Silver C on the deck will always be the daily driver so I don't worry about that one.

I consider my Performer Propane Ignition to be one of the best features of that grill, don't need to use cubes or newspaper just stick my chimney on it fire it up for 4 or 5 minutes then let the chimney do its thing. I have always been a Tech guy had Prodigy which a lot of people here probably don't know what that was before the internet really got going, had a cellphone when it was mounted on a stalk in the car and cost a zillion dollars a minute when you used it but my wife and I commuted a fair amount in those days to differnt locations so I viewed it as emergency use if something happened or we needed to get in touch with each other while on the road. Whether it is sitting watching football with my Maverick while doing ribs or whatever able to monitor the temp without going outside is a convenience, All three thermostats inside my house are Ecobee's connected to the internet, if I head to the beach for 4 or 5 days and forgot to set them on vacation mode I can do that from a bar in Hilton Head on my phone.

I can see the “purist” view about how barbecue should be done, but I also think that the addition of a computer controlled fan/blower on a WSM, kettle, or Kamado - as more and more are doing - starts to blur that distinction. Throw in a WiFi remote thermometer and I really don’t see much, if any, difference between cooking with charcoal and wood vs. with wood pellets.

I just did my first Indiana small event barbecue. My Recteq RT-700 carried the lion’s share of the work (allowing me some sleep after getting pork shoulders on at 1:30 AM) and had room for later additions of ribs and chuck roasts to make burnt ends. But I also used two kettles to do bbq chicken. The smells from both types of grills were heavenly and enjoyed by my guests. So I guess will remain a “hybrid” griller. I have to admit, though, the thought crossed my mind about how much easier things would have been if I had a second pellet grill:unsure:.

Ha Ha Jon you are hopeless I am also in certain ways you are lusting over a used Smokefire be patient one will show up and it will be cheap be prepared that you might need to put some money into a Gen 1 but really based on Weber's new push they might discount the auger or whatever you need if your the second owner they would not do that before but about the last thing they want to happen is for someone to be badmouthing the grill when the neighbor comes over they need as much good exposure as they can get at this point. There have been times when I would have loved to have another kettle besides my performer cause I needed a bit more real estate.. Not that many times so its on to the Weber Kamado at some point and I always said I would sell the performer but I am re-thinking that. Trash the UDS keep the performer along with the Kamado that is a lot of space.

Even I if I had this deal might have taken a shot against my better judgement sold for $360 Joe posted this. https://www.facebook.com/marketplace/item/342192497542797

Ha Ha Jon you are hopeless I am also in certain ways you are lusting over a used Smokefire be patient one will show up and it will be cheap be prepared that you might need to put some money into a Gen 1 but really based on Weber's new push they might discount the auger or whatever you need if your the second owner they would not do that before but about the last thing they want to happen is for someone to be badmouthing the grill when the neighbor comes over they need as much good exposure as they can get at this point. There have been times when I would have loved to have another kettle besides my performer cause I needed a bit more real estate.. Not that many times so its on to the Weber Kamado at some point and I always said I would sell the performer but I am re-thinking that. Trash the UDS keep the performer along with the Kamado that is a lot of space.

Even I if I had this deal might have taken a shot against my better judgement sold for $360 Joe posted this. https://www.facebook.com/marketplace/item/34219249754279
So we assume a SmokeFire user has internet and uses his phone to check temps and all that, I’d be pretty surprised if a knowledgeable Weber user didn’t have his Gen 1 auger replaced by now.
The only things I’ve done to mine (other than add a BUNCH of grates and stuff) is install welded auger, remove finger guard and update it when the opportunity arose.
I wanted to win the EX4 at Christmas and have it shipped to Jon! That would have been fun.

Even I if I had this deal might have taken a shot against my better judgement sold for $360 Joe posted this. https://www.facebook.com/marketplace/item/342192497542797

Brian,
You (and my wife) have me pretty much pegged :D . There is a SmokeFire EX-6 claiming to be Generation 2 a couple hours away and asking $750 including a cover. That's less than the new EX-4 on sale, and I bet I could get it for $700 or maybe even a little less. If really a Generation 2, then no parts to buy. I don't see that happening right now, and really a smaller EX-4 would be all I need, but it is tempting knowing it is out there.

Last edited:
Your assuming its a knowledgeable Weber user not really sure about that and you might be totally correct by the way. What if its your first pellet grill say it does not work the way you thought it would work did Weber send you a email and tell you that you should ask for the updated auger? Maybe you did a search before that upgrade was available and just gave up on it. Maybe you missed that you should remove the finger guard which asking a novice pellet grill user to do that not sure why they should by the way if its a design defect than why should they have to do that. How about the multiple software defects until recently from what I have read from you guys they finally got it right or did they?

Big difference from people like us glued to a forum and I would say many of us are fairly handy so maybe thats no big deal but I assure you my next door neighbor who is no dummy would not have a clue. He would have come to me cause he knows I am a Weber guy but really not sure he would have taken the time to keep researching and figure it out in fact I know he wouldn't he would have dumped it for what he could get for it. The money would not be an issue he would be pissed maybe never buy a pellet grill again because he had a bad experience.

It is what it is, heck we got knowledegeable users here who returned theirs as they got fed up with it. Not bashing it seems from you guys to be getting better but it is not a consumer friendly grill it has not been from the start. Thats Webers problem not the users.

Brian,
You (and my wife) have me pretty much pegged :D . There is a SmokeFire EX-6 claiming to be Generation 2 a couple hours away and asking $750 including a cover. That's less than the new EX-4 on sale, and I bet I could get it for $700 or maybe even a little less. If really a Generation 2, than no parts to buy. I don't see that happening right now, and really a smaller EX-4 would be all I need, but it is tempting knowing it is out there.
No offense whats so great about that deal? The 4 that Joe posted went for 360 so add 200 for the 6 and you are under 600 which I still think is not a great deal maybe 500 bucks, ask yourself why would someone who bought a gen 2 be dumping it so quickly many reasons which we can only speculate on. Lets be honest here not like the market for used grills is all that great and 500 bucks for a used grill is not exactly chump change. Again as I always say its your money do what you want with it.

Just looking out for you bud don't want you to have to sleep in the barn with it. You don't live in FL anymore winter starts in 3 months in your neck of the woods damn cold out there. :)

Edit: By the way seems the Smokefire is a bit of a pellet hog at least from what I have read if you need to run it to keep warm in the barn your probably will go broke. Again having fun no offense intended even though I have been in the ATL since 96 I come from Boston so still a bit of a buster if you know what I mean.

Last edited:
Yeah, Brian, I don't think that one is any great deal, and I am not going to risk landing outside to sleep with it :oops: . Actually, I did enjoy using my kettles for my bbq event on Saturday. I might be a lot better off with another set of Killa Grilla grates and another Slow N Sear which would cost a lot less and help me use better what I already have.

It would be nice to have the ease of use of another pellet grill, but as we have noted here, the SmokeFire is not the best choice for "set it and forget it" cooking. I love Weber, though, so hopefully someday I will get a SmokeFire if only to satisfy my own curiosity and learn more about it. I also think that there is a lot to be said on this grill for buying new, properly registering, and then taking extra good care of it from the beginning to increase the likelihood of successful cooks and avoid the problems some have had.

Just my .02. I was extremely hyped for the SmokeFire, then after the rough debut, I decided to wait. I ended up buying an EX4 during a sale last year. The same $200 off as now. I have had a Performer and a Smokey Mountain for over 10 years. As I have gotten older, the effort it takes to use those products properly just isn't appealing to me anymore. I just don't have the time or energy. So, the SmokerFire works for me. It isn't 100% "set it and forget it" due to the pellet drop issue, but it's alot less effort than the Smokey Mountain.

I actually sold the Smokey and thinking about doing the same with the Performer. I just have not used them at all since I got the SmokeFire. I may get a little kettle just in case we have a power outage or something, but for me, the SmokeFire fits my needs. I say that, because I have had no major issues at all. If I had issues, I probably would feel differently.

Hunter, are you getting the 4 or the 6? As long as you go into this eyes wide open and learn the grill it won't frustrate you but may irritate at times. I sold my Performer, WSMs, and a Camp Chef pellet grill after I checked mine out. It's my only outdoor cooker and I hope it extends my BBQ years by at least 5 more. I know some will disagree with me on this but my cooker is not picky about pellets. It performs the same with Weber, Lumberjack, Pit Boss, and B&B pellets. I just bought 120 lbs. of B&B Championship Blend from Academy Sports for $40.47 before tax. I really like the aroma and taste they impart to the food. My EX6 burns a lot of pellets so cost is a factor for me - if they perform properly.
Great posts and tips about the EX6. Fired mine up first time today just burning off factory oils, testing and software updates. Also appreciate the tip on B&B Championship Blend. Picked up a 40# bag from Academy this morning. Seems like a great price per pound.
Be Safe!

Totally agree this 78 year old who hasn't touched his WSM 18" Classic for over five (5) years as my Weber Performer Deluxe with the metal table and propane gas assist more than meets my present grilling needs and easy clean-up. However, as my days progress I may need to turn-to some type of pellet grill.

I do pretty much want to, but if I don't get a lot of other stuff done and at least a couple grills sold, it isn't going to happen. I am glad for the extension, though!

I wonder if the extra time means that sales still aren't meeting expectations or whether they are doing well and they don't want them to stall out. At this point, Weber needs market penetration in the pellet grill market. I still take note that my local Ace carries quite a bit of Weber grills and supplies for a small, rural store. But, no SmokeFires to be seen in an entire year. Plenty of Traegers, though.:unsure:

I’m curious if the sales are still disappointing for the SmokeFire or if they are purely trying to just keep growing their share of the pellet market? It would be interesting to know. It seems like there was an across the board Weber price hike a few months ago for everything but the SmokeFire and now it stays on sale even longer. My personal guess is sales are still lackluster as the SmokeFire always seems available despite other Weber products going in and out of stock and many other brands of grills having long delays.

I’m curious if the sales are still disappointing for the SmokeFire or if they are purely trying to just keep growing their share of the pellet market? It would be interesting to know. It seems like there was an across the board Weber price hike a few months ago for everything but the SmokeFire and now it stays on sale even longer. My personal guess is sales are still lackluster as the SmokeFire always seems available despite other Weber products going in and out of stock and many other brands of grills having long delays.
Hopefully we’ll get that data when they release their financials as a publicly traded company. I bought a bunch of shares on their decline and they’re finally turning back around with share price appreciation.

IMO, Weber has to penetrate the pellet market as that’s the fastest growing segment of the grill market. So it’s either buy market share and mindshare via discounts or be arrogant and hold the line on price and accept lower sales. We know who the competition is so Weber is basing growth on price to gain market and mindshare. They don’t have a choice as their main competitor has the leading market share, mindshare and sales growth in dollars and units for pellet grills.

However, Weber is the industry’s giant in overall marketshare, distribution channels and partners along with brand ID. Weber needs to capitalize on that to grow financially and grow a new market segment; pellet plug n play grills.

Back