SmokeFire’s back on sale! 🔥

I am going to try very hard to go to the Weber dog and pony show for the SmokeFire next week at a Lowes about an hour from me. It will be interesting if an EX-4 follows me home! Even if not, I will post about the experience. I really want a second smaller pellet grill to help out when I cook for small BBQ events for church and others. Every option, including the EX-4, has pros and cons.

Last edited:
I am sorry to let everyone down, but too much going on at work, home and church to make the 2-hour round trip to go to the SmokeFire show. I would love to have been there. My wife's reaction was "Good!" when I told her that I couldn't go and that if I had it would have been hard to not come home with a SmokeFire:(.

If I wasn't so happy with the Camp Chef I would jump on that E6 sale... But then I would be unhappy sleeping in the garage. I could just hear Barb now "Oh good now we have another grill we can't use because of the ban"
For the way you use a pellet grill your's can't be beat. If I ever find a great price on a used one like yours it will live in my garage right next to my EX6. .

Its not a sale its a permanent price reduction for the rest of the grilling season. See the thread from an email I got today a sale does not run from May until September with a 100% guarantee to get your money back. My guess they did not get the boost from prior sales maybe especially this one that lasted a few weeks or whatever or maybe they never got a boost so time to go all in and hope for the best.

Yeah, Brian, I think you are probably right. It is do or die - at least in some ways - for Weber to get this grill into the mainstream. From all I see and have read, it is really a shame that the launch was done so poorly. This is an innovative and nicely-built pellet grill. At the price they are asking, it is a steal! But, the nagging issues - primarily now software related - keep cropping up and giving people pause. When you compare the SmokeFire to the Traeger Ironwood (now a good bit more expensive than Weber's price) I see the SmokeFire - as long as it works - to be a much nicer grill.

Weber, in my opinion anyway, HAS to have a strong entry in the pellet grill arena or risk being brushed aside. I justifiably criticized their botched launch and apparent inadequate testing (their descriptions to the contrary at that time, not withstanding). But, I still love Weber grills and salute them for trying to do something NEW in pellet grill construction. I want Weber to succeed with the SmokeFIre, and I want one in my garage! How else can I do a fair comparison between it and my Recteq RT-700 "Bull"?

Speaking of Recteq, it can't be too long before we hear something new and innovative coming from them, so stay tuned! It's an exciting time for pellet grill design with lots of options for us prospective buyers.

When they announced the sale last month they did announce the Sept. end date. I belong to The Facebook Weber Smokefire Woodfired Pellet Grill Owners Group. What a name. Last June I bought my EX6 on sale and I learned that their membership got a good boost then. Group membership again surged during the Christmas sale. Starting early in May we started seeing a growth in daily membership requests. Since the sale was announced we are getting 30 to 45 membership requests every day and their geographic location ranges from Australia to Finland. We're only one of several SF groups. This sale/price reduction is generating interest and we'll see if Weber gets enough sales this summer.

Lew, I get the Weber Emails quite often you are probably correct they announced the Sept date last month. I just delete most of the stuff they send me for some reason I read it in full today which I almost never do so I picked up on that. Surely and you know better than I if they said that a month ago curious was the 100% guarantee in that sale announcement actually I would not call it a sale last month?

In the first picture I posted it clearly says offer good until 9-7-21.

57ABCA25-0327-48E4-A534-97D47FF258C8.png

7F09DAF7-AABA-4251-863D-3C420CED24B9.png

Last edited by a moderator:
One thing I didn't realize when the sale was originally announced was they are offering a 100 day money back guarantee. Not sure if that's been the case all along, but it sure makes jumping in even more tempting.

1624450247385.jpeg

Lew, I get the Weber Emails quite often you are probably correct they announced the Sept date last month. I just delete most of the stuff they send me for some reason I read it in full today which I almost never do so I picked up on that. Surely and you know better than I if they said that a month ago curious was the 100% guarantee in that sale announcement actually I would not call it a sale last month?
Your post is the first time I saw the 100 day guarantee. Last June the Weber President published a letter saying Weber would honor grill returns no matter how long the owner had it. My thought on the 100 day thing is that they may be dialing back the warranty. However, Weber has really stepped up for Smokefire owners. One guy in the group had problems for Months. He was sent a Gen 2 EX4 and told to keep his inconsistent Gen 1.

Bruno, my bad for missing the September 7 end date in the first post. Lew I found that email from May actually had not deleted it and there is no mention of the 100 day guarantee in that one at least so this must be something new.

Still for prospective buyers knowing you can use the thing for 100 days and bring it back if your not satisfied to me if you were on the fence surely may help you get off. A bit of a risky move but less risky than saying you will take the grill back no matter how long you owned it.

At this point, I think Weber figures they need to go all out to get this grill out to the mainstream. It doesn’t help them that there are so few in stores. My little Ace here on Brazil IN of course carries Weber grills, but not a SmokFire to be seen. Plenty of Traeger grills, though. Weber needs to change this picture!

Jon, the distribution ship has sailed this season for the Smokefire store buyers decisions on what to stock for grilling season were probably made 5 months ago. My Ace carries Weber grills also they even have a Performer on display and if you want a pellet grill you can buy a Traeger from them, does not make sense to carry both more cost for inventory and Traeger still has the mkt share and name to most not all. That is not saying the Traeger is better its just reality.

As I have said before my Lowes does not stock the Smokefire they did last year and were stuck with 4 or 5 of them when the season was over not really sure what they did with them cause one day they were gone most likely shipped back to Weber. They obviously made a decsion not to carry them in stock this season, maybe they did not sell or to many returned cause of the problems who knows you can get an EX4 shipped to store but it appears you can't buy an EX6 from them just shows out of stock with no options. Atlanta is a pretty large mkt and I know from posters their are other Lowes around the country that do stock them so not sure what the deal is.

I also think maybe I am totally off base that the market for the mythical all in one grill is not as large as Weber may have imagined. Maybe people don't care so much about high heat on a pellet grill maybe they use their gasser for that but they want a reliable pellet grill for smoking as its a second grill not to be used all the time.

I'm just glad that people like Lew and Bruno got the things to work and it seems some but not all of the problems appear to be fixed.

All good points, Brian. For me, I would only want the smaller EX-4 to complement my Recteq as a second smoker for larger cooks that I hope to do more of. I am way more impressed by the awesome brisket and pork shoulders we have seen here than I am with the steaks or other high heat searing. I would be one of those who would rather do that on a classic Genesis. Want some extra flavor? Throw in a smoker box with some nice wood chips. But many here have reported the best smoking results they have ever had using their SmokeFire for low and slow bbq - some even saying it gets close to a WSM or other "real" smoker.

If I had a SmokeFire, I am sure I would at least try doing a couple runs with high heat just for fun, but that would not be what I would use it for on a regular basis.

Not being a SmokeFire owner, although I would love to have one now that the main issues seem to be resolved. My Camp Chef has the slid and sear option for high heat cooking I used it once when I first got it and it worked very well. But as Jon said that's not why I bought it. I have other grills for high heat cooking.
I think also that it might not be the general public but the stores that don't want to deal with the problem that the SmokeFire caused them keeping the availability of the SmokeFire from the buyers, they won't buy what they can't see.
Weber is running up hill with this situation now and some killer sales and incentives for the stores to start carrying the SmokeFires again. may be the only way to get them back into the game.

First impressions are lasting impressions and Weber screwed that pooch. Between the BS hype, smoke and mirrors reveal for invited “influencers”, and the pandemic there was a perfect formula for failure. I hope that Weber can weather the storm and we’ll have continued support for our grills. Since my EX6 is my only outdoor cooker I do some high heat cooking but 90% is low and slow. I do Chicken and Turkey at 400 so that’s in the middle. When I give my opinion of this grill I always caution that it requires learning and it can behave badly. Jon, I hope someone in your area decides to dump their EX4 and you get one for cheap. Put that with your RT 700 and you double your capacity unless you have the second grate.

I figured I would use my SmokeFire mostly for low and slow, however getting some good wood flavor with the ease of a gasser changed all that.
I don’t do meat on the Q-320, so that leaves kettles and the SF, most nights firing up the SmokeFire for a quick grill, especially on those cast iron grates has been a piece of cake and delivered some good results.

I’m testing out ribs on mine today, I didn’t add in a water pan and I think that was probably a mistake- want to spray more but it’s pouring out right now. So much for zero percent chance of rain!

Not hating or anything. But grilling doesn't involve electricity. I'm almost 60, I'll ever buy a grill with a plug, or worse yet, internet connectivity. Might as well just use your kitchen oven. All due respect to those who like such a thing.

Back