Smoked & seared tritip, twice baked planked taters, and green beans

Nate Frost

TVWBB All-Star
Decided to try smoking a tritip so on the mini it went. Tried the twice backed planked potatoes. Whoever thought of this is a genious. Great for a party. And some green beans in cream sauce.

Nate;
That is about as good as it gets! After seeing this, I expect the twice baked and planked potatoes will be appearing HERE!:D

The Tri-Tip is perfectly cooked, too! Good job all 'round!!

Keep on smokin',
Dale53:wsm:

Nate, that is an outstanding tri tip. I love the potatoes and will be doing them soon. Your plated pic is excellent.

Great cook Nate.

Is this the recipe you followed from Another Pint Please

Sorry I had to Google search the twice baked planked potatoes because they sounded to good to be true.

Sunday, May 10, 2015
What's on the Grill #316: Planked Twice Baked Potatoes
I do not eat a ton of potatoes anymore, but on the rare occasion I do, I like to go way overboard. Case in point, this post.

I like mashed potatoes. Let me rephrase that, I like good mashed potatoes. I shutter to think back to my childhood when Mom made mashed potatoes…from a box. Regardless, that’s not really what I’m talking about. If you are reading this, chances are you like real food. When I say “good,” I mean potatoes with their skin on, not overly creamy, and with a healthy addition of garlic and rosemary.

Of course "mashed potatoes” and “grill” don’t exactly go together, but make them twice baked and add in a cedar plank and you have the makings for the ultimate side dish.

17176895487_d5f47bbe40_z_zpso3pnecyc.jpg

Planked Mashed Potatoes

Twice Baked Planked Potatoes
by Another Pint Please

4 medium russet potatoes, skin left on and cubed.
1/2 cup butter
1/3 cup milk
2 T sour cream
3 cloves garlic, minced
2 T fresh rosemary, minced
1/3 cup shredded cheddar cheese
1 green onion, thinly sliced

1 cedar plank

While I’m including a mashed potato recipe, the truth is, they are mashed potatoes, and everyone makes them a little different. Make them how you like them…just as long as they aren’t from a box.

Soak a cedar plank in water for at least one hour.

Fill a medium sized pot with about an inch of water. Insert a portable steaming basket, cover the pot and bring to a boil. Add the potatoes and steam until fork tender, about 12-15 minutes.

Empty the pot and wipe dry. Add the butter and potatoes. Mash while adding in the milk. Add the milk slowly in order to reach the right consistency. Stir in the sour cream, garlic, and rosemary.

Note: The potatoes can be made a day in advance and kept in the refrigerator until time to grill.

Prepare the grill for indirect medium heat, 350 F. Mound the potatoes on the cedar plank and top with cheese and green onion.

Grill over indirect heat for approximately 20 minutes, or longer if the potatoes have been refrigerated.

Planked Spuds

There are a million variations for making these potatoes, which is part of the fun. Not only is it an easy side dish that tastes great, it’s an awesome bit of presentation moving from grill to table.

Posted by Mike Lang at 5/10/2015 09:55:00 AM 0 Comments
Labels: Grilling, Vegetable

jeffG, that picture was the inspiration. We used what we do for the mashed part of the twice baked potatoes. I whipped up the whole potatoe, skin and all for what you see in this post. Threw it on the plank, topped with more cheese then on the grill.

Thanks Nate, anybody that likes potatoes will be trying there best recipe of twice baked planked spuds because of you.:cool:
Also note that a Weber Cedar plank was used win win in my book.

Is that a Baha bug as your avatar?

Last edited:
Sorry typo Baja, one letter off on the key pad, beer infused.... PM me some pics, i had a few, 59 ragtop and a 69, before i went lowered Karman Ghia convertible = trouble 2180 dual Webber 48IDA's.
Ok back to twice baked planked spuds...

They do look awesome. We don't eat a lot of potatoes due to my wife being diabetic, but I may have to give that a try.

Nate;
As a direct result of your post and pictures, I did Alaskan Wild Salmon and twice baked potatoes on a plank. My wife did a sweet onion in the microwave while I added grilled asparagus. She also contributed a cold bean salad. All in all, one of the best meals we could offer!

Thank you for the inspiration!

Keep on smokin';
Dale53:wsm:

Back