Smoked Mussels

Brian Dahl

TVWBB Gold Member
Hi gang, it's good to be back...

We went to the beach on the Fourth and collected mussels

Oops, wrong picture :)

This is more like it: low tide at Seal Rock.

Here's the old salt collecting some goodies

After steaming and removing from their shells, a very quick brine soak and than oiled. We collect the limit: 144 mussels. There are two racks here

As much of an 'action' there is

and finished

They were on for about 40 minutes, smoke provided by peach. I used about a third of a chimney of KB, temp at the lid was running about 225 - 250. How did they turn out? A-Maze-ing! I plan on doing this every time we get to the coast. I can even see trips for special occasions: Thanksgiving, birthdays. We live about an 1 1/2 hour drive from where these were collected. I've collected and steamed them before, this was the first time smoking them. Most of these went to a 5th of July party we went to last night, I'm freezing the balance (after eating them like candy for two days now)! Thanks for stopping by.

Those mussels look terrific, Brian! It's pictures like these which make my shellfish allergy all the more unbearable :(.

Brian, she's reading "How To Attract Barbecue Enthusiasts At The Beach"

and if you ask me, she's got GREAT lookin' Mussels! ;)

Brian, she's reading "How To Attract Barbecue Enthusiasts At The Beach"

and if you ask me, she's got GREAT lookin' Mussels! ;)

ROFL at Jim!!!

Great looking Mussels Brian! That is something I have never tried, so have to add this to
my do list! (Cooking Mussels - better clarify!!!) :cool:

That's it...I'm packing my bags and heading to Oregon for mussels!! Wow...ok your shellfish looks pretty tasty too! But man...

She looks fan... er, they look fantastic. Never thought to smoke mussels.

Love smoked mussels. I never tought of making those myself. Beach/mussels are only 45 min. from my house................got to do it.
BTW Zuma beach with some FANTASTIC "mussels" is only 1 hour away =)
Thank you for the post.

Peter

I have had them smoked in their shells that way they do not dry out as they are in their natural juices.

Depending what you add into your smoker you can certainly different flavours.

Keith

Nothing better then collecting those bad tasting ones yourself! :rolleyes: Not a fan but a great post! And if i ever eat mussels again they will be smoked like this!

Brian! Love this idea. Reminds me of pulling mussels off of ship wrecks in my scuba days. Never thought of smoking them!

Back