Smoked Ground Beef Tostadas

Shawn W

TVWBB Emerald Member
I woke up this morning wondering what to do for Cinco de Mayo. I had a 4lb tray of hamburger ready for meaty spaghetti sauce, then I came up with this idea.

I took the tray of hamburger and cut it into six pieces, leaving it as loose as it came.

Then I placed it in my Keg kamado, started a medium fire, larger than smoking, smaller than grilling, added smoke wood, put the diffuser in and loaded the meat. I set my vents to max at around 400°F.

It started at about 200°F, then slowly climbing in temp it took about 90 minutes to finish. I pulled the squares at 150°F internal.

1000002455.jpg

Then I allowed the meat to cool on the tray while I small diced a medium onion and minced 3 cloves of garlic. I proceeded to chop tostada topping veggies allowing the meat cubes to further cool.

Then I took a knife and broke down the hamburger. It broke down easy.

1000002456.jpg

I sautéed the onions in a little EVOO until softened, adding the garlic at the last. It only took a few minutes. I set the onions aside in a large bowl.

Then I sautéed half the ground beef with a little EVOO until it was nicely browned, dumped that on top of the onions in the bowl and repeated with the other half of the hamburger.

Dumped it all in the pan and added spices. Mixed well, then added around 2C of water (maybe it should have been Corona 🙂). Enough to cover the bottom. Mix again, then cover and simmer stirring occasionally until the pooled liquid on the bottom is just gone, but leaving it moist.

1000002459.jpg

Then, tostada time!
1000002460.jpg

I used salsa, habanero hot sauce, cheese, lettuce, bell pepper, green onion, cilantro, tomato and sour cream.

Awesome tostadas, best darn ground beef taco meat ever! I'm sure you can mimic the cook with your grill/smoker/kamado.

Last edited:
I woke up this morning wondering what to do for Cinco de Mayo. I had a 4lb tray of hamburger ready for meaty spaghetti sauce, then I came up with this idea.

I took the tray of hamburger and cut it into six pieces, leaving it as loose as it came.

Then I placed it in my Keg kamado, started a medium fire, larger than smoking, smaller than grilling, added smoke wood, put the diffuser in and loaded the meat. I set my vents to max at around 400°F.

It started at about 200°F, then slowly climbing in temp it took about 90 minutes to finish. I pulled the squares at 150°F internal.

View attachment 90476

Then I allowed the meat to cool on the tray while I small diced a medium onion and minced 3 cloves of garlic. I proceeded to chop tostada topping veggies allowing the meat cubes to further cool.

Then I took a knife and broke down the hamburger. It broke down easy.

View attachment 90480

I sautéed the onions in a little EVOO until softened, adding the garlic at the last. It only took a few minutes. I set the onions aside in a large bowl.

Then I sautéed half the ground beef with a little EVOO until it was nicely browned, dumped that on top of the onions in the bowl and repeated with the other half of the hamburger.

Dumped it all in the pan and added spices. Mixed well, then added around 2C of water (maybe it should have been Corona 🙂). Enough to cover the bottom. Mix again, then cover and simmer stirring occasionally until the pooled liquid on the bottom is just gone, but leaving it moist.

View attachment 90481

Then, tostada time!
View attachment 90479

I used salsa, habanero hot sauce, cheese, lettuce, bell pepper, green onion, cilantro, tomato and sour cream.

Awesome tostadas, best darn ground beef taco meat ever! I'm sure you can mimic the cook with your grill/smoker/kamado.
Looks great!

Love me a good tostada.

Wow, Shawn, what a great looking meal. Very interesting technique to get some smoke on the ground beef.....did you notice any smoke flavor on the beef in the finished dish? I'd guess it was a subtle background flavor, and was a really nice addition to the beef mixture on your tostadas! Thanks for posting!

R

Wow, Shawn, what a great looking meal. Very interesting technique to get some smoke on the ground beef.....did you notice any smoke flavor on the beef in the finished dish? I'd guess it was a subtle background flavor, and was a really nice addition to the beef mixture on your tostadas! Thanks for posting!

R
Cutting it into 6 pieces created a ton of surface area for the smoke to get at, more than subtle it was certainly present without overpowering, I thought it was perfect.

I used oak hardwood lump and hickory smoke wood foe this one.

What spices did you use? Looks awesome!
thanks Wilmer

I user dried parsley, oregano (Mexican oregano if I would have had some), cumin, coriander, a store brand chili powder I like that lists paprika, chili pepper, cumin, coriander garlic, oregano and cloves as ingredients, then some tasty smoked paprika when I ran out of my chili powder.

I have to add heat to my own meal due to preference of others in the house or there would have been some Carolina Reaper powder in there 😂.

Back