Smoked Chicken with Alabama White BBQ Sauce - Unexpected awesome smoke on a rainy day

Ralph Q

TVWBB Member
PLAN A (Crash & Burn) - I always have a plan going into Smoke Day, I choose the recipe weeks before and think about it in the run up. I order my shirts and wait with anticipation for them to arrive. The week before, I start to provision. This is where the problems began. I was going to smoke pork belly. I've never had pork belly so it would be a treat. As I went to the butcher shops, everyone wanted to sell me a 15lb belly. That was way too much for my wife and I.

PLAN B (Unexpected Success) - Chicken = Boring in my mind. I've also done chicken 2x times before as it is popular with the rest of the family. I purchased 2 small fryer birds, spatchcocked them and found a Meat Church recipe for Alabama White BBQ Sauce. Since I'd never had that before; I was once again excited about yesterday.

THE COOK - It was raining buckets on Long Island so I didn't want to fire up the WSM, so instead I decided to smoke on my Weber Kettle. This was the first time I had ever done that. It held temp perfectly and served me well as always. The sauce is super easy and supremely delicious. I did use Meat Church Holy Cow rub as I have several of their products and love them. I left one without sauce just to taste the rub alone.

THE FINISH - Here are the pics for all of you. Many thanks to Chris and this board for the knowledge sharing and the confidence gained in the process.

IMG_4544.jpgIMG_4545.jpgIMG_4555.jpg

Last edited:
Great looking chicken, Ralph!! It's on my to-do list for sure. Did you brine first??

(Btw, congrats to your Islanders. I say that as a life-long Bruins' fan. 🙂)

I go all out on Smoke Day and whenever time permits, I brine. I use this recipe below:

Basic & Simple Chicken Brine​

Ingredients
  • 1/2 cup kosher salt
  • 1 cup brown sugar
  • 1/2 cup maple syrup
  • 2 quarts apple juice
  • 1 to 2 - quarts water (part of this should be in ice form)

Directions
  1. Place all the ingredients except the water into a pot and heat to integrate the flavors
  2. Once integrated sufficiently, remove from heat and dump in some ice to cool down
  3. Add more water to gain sufficient volume
  4. Pour over chicken and refrigerate for 24-48 hours
I'm happy to see the Islanders progress since I've been on Long Island for 22 year; however, I'm a NY Ranger fan through and through. I'm watching them improve their golf game this June :(

Back